Thread: Asking to much?

Asking to much?

I am looking for a dedicated solution that might not be possible given the requirements.

Basically this request comes from wanting to reduce a number of servers into one "mega-server".

Requirements:
    - 1500-2000gb traffic
    - windows running plesk with unlimited domains
    - asp + MS-SQL
    - SQL server 2005

now the tricky bit is wanting the following with the above:
    - php and MySQL support
    - coldfusion mx
    - 100% uptime (is there such a thing?)
    - high level of managed support

This "mega-server" will be hosting mostly dynamic sites, some with video, some with 0000's unique visits a day

Budget is limited to US$1000/month, hopefully only half that if possible.

Any suggestions, advice, and recommendations welcome.

seeing as no one has replied yet i will try to help. if someone else replies in the meantime it is more likely that they will have a more educated response.

i dont think that you would need to be paying anywhere near 1000 bucks.

i don't know much about managed servers (never had one, i like privacy(so i hate when people ask me about specific details of my deal)).

you didn't have any geographical preference. I have been reading these forums and looking at what people are reccomending because i am always looking for the best deal . but this is what i have seen come up a few times(probably will have to contact them about your specific needs or something).

http://www.uk2.net/ i hope this is some help

- 100% uptime (is there such a thing?) i don't think there is such a thing.

edit

dont forget ot check out the offers forums
    Last edited by deags; 01-12-2007 at 07:34 AM.

Al
    It is reliability that counts...
    Few tips

Well, we are New Zealand based and so are our clients, but to pay for what we are getting already in New Zealand would be prohibitive. The current set-up is with Fastservers.net and we are happy with them, and will probably approach them for a deal to amalgamate our server set-up, but thought it prudent to do some shopping around before doing so.

Thanks for the replies so far.

The big / expensive thing will be the closer you approach 100% uptime the more expensive it gets. If TRULY you need it then your probably not far off. Specifications wise, you can get that at many locations but if I can ask, have you ruled out a more logically engineered cluster of servers as opposed to single stand alone servers?
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

I dont think its asking too much except for the 100% uptime. Thats like asking for 100% sunshine year round.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenithInternet
    Well, we are New Zealand based and so are our clients, but to pay for what we are getting already in New Zealand would be prohibitive. The current set-up is with Fastservers.net and we are happy with them, and will probably approach them for a deal to amalgamate our server set-up, but thought it prudent to do some shopping around before doing so.

Thanks for the replies so far.
    lmao I have to admit New Zealand's network is already unfit for any kind of big datacenter to be run on. We're already 3 years behind, so they're costing us what we'd normally pay 3 years ago.

There can be such a thing called a 100% network up time, I've seen HE's network up throughout the months without any downtime on STN's servers. A true self healing network would be something you might be after.
    ServerTweak Networks, LLC >> ServerTweak.com
    Experience the fastest network and superior servers, feel the power of ServerTweak!
    Fremont, CA DataCenter | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Cross Connects HE.net | 1/4 - Full Cab Sales

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRaul
    The big / expensive thing will be the closer you approach 100% uptime the more expensive it gets. If TRULY you need it then your probably not far off. Specifications wise, you can get that at many locations but if I can ask, have you ruled out a more logically engineered cluster of servers as opposed to single stand alone servers?
    A cluster would probably be overkill and too expensive for our requirements.

The 100% uptime isn't critical, but management of downtime is - I don't to be notified of a client that their site is unreachable - I want the provider to monitor minute by minute and fix it a.s.a.p. or have some level of redundancy in that event.

Can anyone comment on a server setup that runs windows, coldfusion, SQL and PHP all on the one set-up? This is also a major consideration.

Actually, the closest actually achieved uptime (99.999%) is by IBM, at a cost of over $1M annually. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by eymbo
    There can be such a thing called a 100% network up time, I've seen HE's network up throughout the months without any downtime on STN's servers. A true self healing network would be something you might be after.
    No, there's no such thing as 100% uptime. Some of our servers are also on HE's network and we've experienced one small outage a few months back. Yes, they seem to be pretty good...but not 100%.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    No, there's no such thing as 100% uptime. Some of our servers are also on HE's network and we've experienced one small outage a few months back. Yes, they seem to be pretty good...but not 100%.

--Tina
    Yeah there's no such thing as 100% up time. I'm just saying that the servers STN's got on the HE network in these past months have had 100% uptime. I'm not saying their network has always had a 100% uptime or no one else on their network has had downtime

But meh, it's still pretty good.
    ServerTweak Networks, LLC >> ServerTweak.com
    Experience the fastest network and superior servers, feel the power of ServerTweak!
    Fremont, CA DataCenter | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Cross Connects HE.net | 1/4 - Full Cab Sales

The existing servers you currently have, what specification are they? This would help determine what you expect a "mega-server" to be.

From a good US data center you could easily pick up a dual, dual core opteron between $400-$500 USD per month.

From a management point of view a single server may be more convient however if you have no redundancy in your setup it maybe better to have your sites split up over multiple smaller servers so if one server fails that doesn't take down everything.

Going with a US datacenter will be the best thing since there you can expect more redundancy to the service and faster delivery of details. And again your requirement for bandwidth is quite large and I guess that will be possible only through a faster network ISP.

Al
    It is reliability that counts...
    Few tips

Why does everyone say there is no such thing as 100% uptime?

Let's just keep it to a year. IBM is NOT the company with the highest uptime just the one that wants to market the fact that they have high uptime.

Specific example:

Tandem non stop systems for banking applications. Certainly costs more than 1million annually but its at 100% ie zero system downtime for the bank I used to work at for the past couple of years. I am pretty sure if you go to any large bank you will find this type of system where specific nodes go offline for maintenance/repair and you lose a couple of ABM's but they don't go down. Or in Telco Sun E10k's will easily do it as well. Obviously not forever but lets stick with it on an annual basis not factoring maintenance periods.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Thanks for the input people - but can anyone suggest a good provider or specific solution that they have experience with other than Fastservers?

Not much response - decision time approaching. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ZenithInternet
    Not much response - decision time approaching. Any suggestions?
    The best suggestion I can give is just stay with the provider you have now since you are happy with them, true, there might be someone better out there. But why waste your time and resources to get away from someone who suits your needs at the moment?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com