* Newbie questions.

Whats the difference between Dedicated hosting and Managed Hosting and Colocation Hosting ? I am looking for a cheaper option as all I need is some 200 MB spce, 50 GB transfer/month, etc. I'm currently hosted on a shared hosting account, but I fear that my host will kick me out when I start a forum (Invision Board) in the site, where I expect atleast 50 - 100 people to be online at a time. Also, I can shell out something around 50 USD/month only. Can anyone point me to a cheap and reliable service suitable for me ?
    Last edited by arun_k_d; 06-28-2002 at 02:38 AM.

Hi,

For your price of USD$50/month... I would recommend Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS) from diginode.net.

I am a customer of diginode.net since Feb or March 2002 (sorry, can't remember) and their support is GOOD but not as fast as you expected.

Dedicated server providers will provide you with the server hardware loaded with an OS (your choice - maybe), connection, power and etc... depends on each provider. Basically you can install any software you like. Whereby for a managed solution... I think there is no standard managed solution... you have to check with the provider what are included in their managed solution.

Colocation is you provide the server hardware etc... and your provider only give you the power supply and connection. Some providers can offer you more and to my understanding... again, there is no standard type... you have to check with each of the providers

Maybe I am wrong though

Just my thoughts

Hope this helps!

Kindest regards,
    Choon

yup, choon is correct.

Dedicated: Rent a server and get full control
    Managed: Rent a server but they update stuff etc and you don't get root access
    Co-location: Like Dedicated but you can send in your own server
    This forum officially ****ing sucks

I find some Managed dedicated server is very expensive.It's more expensive than reseller package.How can we earn money from it?
    Is it only for one user to use it?

As you can see, I'm not exactly a long-time member here (yet), nor do I actually own a 'real' server (that's in the works... been playing with servers and stuff at home, but no real bandwidth...)

Another option you might want to consider is the $50/month dedicated servers at fdcservers.net. (This is what I've been considering purchasing.) Essentially, this means that you are 'renting' their computer, hosted in their data center. The only disadvantage is that these plans are on 'old' hardware (350-450 MHz, 64 MB of RAM, and a 6 GB hard drive, though you can upgrade them.)

I don't really know enough about your needs to go as far as to recommend this (the fact that I myself haven't actually signed up yet doesn't help, either), but it's something you might want to look into.