Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Logo Contest

Asia
    by LOGO CONTEST, it means there's a winner?
    if no winner then whats the use of calling the topic of this thread LOGO CONTEST?!?!?!?

If you could design me an eye catching logo and I use it, I will give you $50.

There is no deadline.
    As long as I use the logo, I will post a reply to end this contest.
    Let me again elaborate the original post.

If you could design me an eye catching logo and I use it, I will give you $50.

There is no deadline.
    That means there is no deadline. Very sraight forward I thought.

As long as I use the logo, I will post a reply to end this contest.
    as long as I use the logo
    I repeated it twice.

Don't get me wrong. I am looking for that winner. I am in need of a logo.

cascompany,
    You are correct on that one. None of them catches my eyes.

this is a waste of all your time, fellow designers... you guys put in so much effort and for what... there is only one winner.

most of the logos submitted here would easily cost between $50 to $100 in the market.

though asia stated that he will pay $50 for a chosen logo (thats a faiir deal under the circumstances in my opinion), but what about the other designers who lose this contest? all their effort would have gone in vain.

its so easy for anyone to come in here and exploit our hard work, skills, experience and talent. why? because we allow them to get away with it.
    Chang Lee - Professional Designer
    (for Print, Television & Internet media)

I had a client (a reputed member here who runs a decent sized hosting company) a few days ago who commented on this aspect. His opinion was that he would never ever give serious work to any designer who participate in such contests or offer their designs for ridiculously low prices.

When I asked him for his reasons, he said experience had taught him never to give serious work to those who are not professional in the way they offer their services. He mentioned that there are just too many headaches later on to deal with.

Though I didn't really understand what he meant by 'too many headaches' and feel the need to probe further, I got his drift. If you guys want serious and profitable work for long term gain, offer your skills in a professional manner. don't give them away for virtually nothing.

the bigger companies never would approach such designers. this fact is obvious here in WHT too. how many of the bigger hosting companies ask for services of designers here? its generally only the inexperienced or new companies. anyone care to explain why?

chang lee:

I agree. There are several logos submitted here that, in the regular marketplace, are worth considerably more than $50. Do we let people "get away with" exploiting our hards work/skills? I suppose. But conversely, we still have the option to not participate in such contests.

On a personal note, I've always felt uncomfortable posting submissions in these contests given the dollar value of the contests. It always felt like I was "prostituting" my talents in a very cheap way. It seemed to diminish me as a designer.

It's true what you say, chang lee. Underpricing your work undermines your work. I'm getting more and more design projects coming my way, but certainly not from my exposure in WHT contests. They come from referals from existing customers who have paid healthy "market" prices for my work.

I've been growing increasingly tired of these contests, and this particular one has kind of capped it off for me. I think I will direct my energies into avenues that, in the long run, prove to be more rewarding (personally and financially).

Chang lee, thanks for your thoughts. They're just what I needed to give me that little push to make this decision...long overdue.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

you're welcome, vito!

i remember reading two requests in this forum recently... both made by reputable hosting companies.

one was made by Kiwi of MCHost
    the other was made by Vortech of MatrixReseller

what i noticed about both their requests was their very specific wording in their posts...

they mentioned something like this...

"...no $20 designs please!"

another reason that shows the bigger hosting companies do not like to deal with designers who aren't professional.

professionals prefer to work with professionals only... its as simple as that.

some of the designers who posted their work here are very talented indeed. their work could sell for a lot more.

here is a prudent suggestion for those who'd like to use it:

next time anyone wants a contest... by all means design logos for them... but do not use their company name in your logos. use a dummy name instead. that way if they really like your logo, they will have to pay you your standard fees to customize it for them with their actual name.

thats what we do and it works swell for us. the other option is to layer your work with SAMPLE or DEMO.

for logos we prefer to use the first option. for templates, we use the second.

Chang Lee i agree with you, and after this thread i think most of the designers would hesitate to put their work in contests, because now I personally think its a waste of time, money and skills unless they are conducted professionally

me first replying in this thread, bur anyway, Chang, you are correct. next time i do alogo, i will do 1 with another dummy name or have it sampled out.

Originally posted by amadeus
    ...I personally think its a waste of time, money and skills unless they are conducted professionally
    Exactly! There have been too many such contests in here recently because we allow smart alecks to get away with it. Its a competitive world out there.

I do not blame the people who hold such contests and get away with it. Definitely not! Its difficult to resist the temptation to get nice decent work for next to nothing if not totally free!

Its we designers who are allowing them to do this to us! And for what? For how much? Prospective clients who contract work out to a designer here in WHT would generally do a little research on the designer using the search function in WHT.

What impression do they get? Once you start selling off your stuff for ridiculously low prices, you will find it very difficult to sell them at a higher price in WHT subsequently. Because from the buyer's point of view he would easily get the feeling that if you've done work a few weeks ago for such low prices, why should he suddenly pay you more? Its basic human nature.

Charging ridiculously low prices is not the way to make a professional career in any field looking at the long term. It takes too much against you - that is a proven fact.

Even hosting companies themselves who charge ridiculously low prices do not find that many customers - we all know that too - and sooner or later are forced to die out or sell out. So if you're offering decent work to such companies here in WHT, what is your real benefit? The chances of other people seeing your work at their site are going to be ridiculously small too. Hardly any good will come off that anyway.

Its nice to know amadeus that the points raised here are being taken positively.
    Last edited by Chang Lee; 07-06-2002 at 11:51 PM.

again, good tips chang lee. i was about to sell my stuff at real LOW costs but not i find out that thats a bad thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12