And the Loser is......... PS3!

Well, so far anyway.

Even in Japan, Sony's home, the PS3s are not selling so hot. Mostly because the price is too steep. But, even in the U.S., where shipments (not sales) have reached 1 million, the initial hype and sales have dropped. The winner this year appears to be the Wii, but mostly because of it's low price. The PS3 could eventually take off but the long term prognosis is that it might not happen. Sony could be looking at a loser with its PS3.

Sales of PlayStation 3 fall short in Japan

The first results are out in the hotly contested market for video game consoles in Japan, and so far, the results do not look too promising for Sony and its much-promoted PlayStation 3.

Enterbrain, a market research company, released sales estimates Wednesday showing that Sony fell far short of its goal of selling 1 million PlayStation 3s in Japan last year. Sony sold 534,336 consoles from their November 11 debut in Japan to January 7, Enterbrain said.

By contrast, Enterbrain reported that Nintendo sold 1.14 million units of its less-expensive new game console, Wii, from its introduction December 2 until January 7. Xbox 360 from Microsoft, which has had limited success breaking into the Japanese market, has sold 311,053 units since arriving in December 2005, Enterbrain said.
    With it's high price tag, PS3 won't be selling too well in other less wealthy markets where it hasn't even been released yet.

I think Sony sees xbox as its main competitor. They did a good job at beating them in Japan. I would be interested in knowing what the sales statistics of the two is in other countries...
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

I want Sony out of the console race. There system is overkill for most sometime gamers. My little brother has it and he just got a Wii a few days. Now the PS3 is going to go under the bed.

But i am a xbox 360 person. I can't even explain to you guys how i feel about xbox live. It is amazing. I just like how everything is connected. You can do many things at the same time. I liked the first slogan of Xbox when it first came out. "There is nothing more powerful, Than the power of X"

I think the humor here is that Sony's CEO dissed Nintendo twice and it's come back to bite him. Once with the Nintendo DS and again with the Wii.

Also when I was playing wii bowling I decided to swing the other way and my game character tossed the ball backwards at my opponent. I mean that's just great humor right there.

mohamoud,

Let's give your brother a week and then see what happens.
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

My little brother would rather play a game that more interactive. So i think he would like the Wii better. But if it was him. I would rather play the PS3. I would also put linux on it.

well if all he is going to do is throw it under the bed, pm me and I will give him my address

I personally have played the Wii. Wasn't impressed really. It's a nice idea but it's just not a "Gamers" console.

PS3 I have yet to try but from what I hear, I'll stick with my 360 (even though I am still waiting to recieve it back from Microsoft after sending it in due to disc reading errors)

I have noticed in a couple of stores I went to they had some in stock now. I almost got one, but had to go to work.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Its very diffcult to play shooter games on CONSOLS because consols don't have mouse for pointing purpose. I find it impossible to play shooter games on PS2. What about others do you use any other device for first shooter games?

Quote Originally Posted by mahinder
    Its very diffcult to play shooter games on CONSOLS because consols don't have mouse for pointing purpose. I find it impossible to play shooter games on PS2. What about others do you use any other device for first shooter games?
    I first thought like that.....

used to be a big fan of pc gaming....

but now im tired of upgrading every year / two year to cope with the latest games...

so I brought myself the xbox 360. best purchease ever i can say the least.

its a next gen console like the ps3 without the £500+ price tag.

to comment on the "I dont like it cause cant aim" comment. it has a analog stick and I first thought it would be hard to aim but supprisingly you do get used to it.

note to playstation fan boys: all the ps3 has different from the xbox 360 is blueray. blueray has technically proven to be slower than a HD DVD, only advantage is it can hold more information. HD DVD will win the war.

It is very early to call PS3 loser. I tried it and I am not big fan but ps3 will sell (on not sell and really become loser) next xmass when price goes down and when more exclusive titles are released.

Right now now Wii is my number one console, X360 hardly ever gets turned on since I finished Oblivion and might see some more action once again when I get Gears of War and Lost Planet, good old xbox is still used but more as media center then gaming console and PS2 did not leave closet for a few years now.

What is the 'reference' game for the PS3? Like Halo (and Halo 2) are for Xbox?
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

The Wii is just too cheap and innovative for most people, plus almost anyone can play it...my gran who is 93 played it the other day! PS3 has outpriced alot of it's potential market.

I can't say I was too impressed about the PS3, I am loving my Xbox 360 though.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

Hmm XBOX rules the world.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrestrtr
    What is the 'reference' game for the PS3? Like Halo (and Halo 2) are for Xbox?
    Probably Madden NFL, but I hear that lacks a lot of features for PS3, too.

I prefer Sony over Microsoft in consoles, but the price on the PS3 is like, woah. I would never pay that much for a game, seriously. I really like the Wii, because of it's games and game play, you can not beat it. Microsoft with the xbox just doesn't interest me, but when the prices drop on those two, I will pick up both and see what I missed.
    Salvador Paniagua | CEO/Founder of AllureHost.com
    cPanel Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Hosting - Custom Hosting
    cPanel 11 | ASSP Spam Filter | WHMCS | RVSkin | RVSiteBuilder | Fantastico | PHP & MySQL 5 | Site Transfer

A little update on the December sales figures for the gaming systems

Wii beats out PlayStation 3 in U.S.

Nintendo sold 604,200 of its new Wii video game consoles in the United States in December, beating Sony, which sold 490,700 units of its new PlayStation 3, according to NPD.

In addition, Microsoft sold 1.1 million Xbox 360 video game consoles in December

I visited my local Target tonight and there were no WII's in stock. There was however, a PS3 in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWalczak
    I visited my local Target tonight and there were no WII's in stock. There was however, a PS3 in stock.
    That's how it's been for me. I have yet to see a Wii in stock (otherwise, I'd own one), but the PS3's are just sitting on shelves.

$700 is insane for a game console, although many of us including myself have over 3,000 in a computer I guess its all in teh eyes of the beholder

I'd say give PS3 chance. Once everything settles down, say mid-2008 then you can compare things. Remember that some Xbox 360 owners may have already bought an Xbox 360 last year but next year/year after that they'll buy a PS3.

Even though I'm a big Sony fan it's not looking good. I'll wait until I get to actually player with one and the price comes down before making my mind up. The thing that hurt the most is when Gabe Newell (the guy who is MD of my favourite games company, Valve - who made HL series) said he prefers the Wii to the PS3 and said Sony have screwed up with the PS3.
    Sean

Sony fell far short of its goal of selling 1 million PlayStation 3s in Japan last year. Sony sold 534,336 consoles from their November 11 debut in Japan to January 7, Enterbrain said.
    Well, what do you expect when they keep failing to provide them to retailers. This isn't a surprise, at all, however. due to the die problems they've had with the BR setup.

Given the fact that many retailers now have these online, I think we'll see sales for this go up and up and up.
    Walmart, BestBuy and even NewEgg all have this product available online. While (currently), BB is sold out, I'd expect that to change as it does frequently there.

If you think the PS3 isn't selling, you're flat out wrong. Just check these two E-bay listings for proof there. The prices (with multiple bidders) range from 500-1k per unit, and they're going like mad.

It's really impossible to judge how well a product will do, especially one this large by the 1q standings. Yes, it is expensive, but that isn't the reason most people aren't buying it. I mean, look at the previous asking prices on E-Bay, up to (and probably over) 10k, and people were getting it!. The REASON that this is not selling as much as people like is the manufacturing, not the price. Once they can get a steady supply coming in, then, that will be a different story altogether.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

I've only played on game (golf) on the Wii and I found the graphics way too cheesey for me to get into it, now would I like to rent and play some of the other games like Madden and NHL yes I would.

I was trying to find out if the video output is HD like 360 and ps3 but I wasn't able to find that, does anyone know?

No, the Wii is only 480i/p.
    Steve

Our local Target had a pile of them and they been sitting for a few days. One of the workers mentioned a couple of people bought the 20GB version mainly for the Blue-Ray capibility since it was half the price of a stand alone machine.

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    Well, what do you expect when they keep failing to provide them to retailers. This isn't a surprise, at all, however. due to the die problems they've had with the BR setup.

Given the fact that many retailers now have these online, I think we'll see sales for this go up and up and up.
    Walmart, BestBuy and even NewEgg all have this product available online. While (currently), BB is sold out, I'd expect that to change as it does frequently there.

If you think the PS3 isn't selling, you're flat out wrong. Just check these two E-bay listings for proof there. The prices (with multiple bidders) range from 500-1k per unit, and they're going like mad.

It's really impossible to judge how well a product will do, especially one this large by the 1q standings. Yes, it is expensive, but that isn't the reason most people aren't buying it. I mean, look at the previous asking prices on E-Bay, up to (and probably over) 10k, and people were getting it!. The REASON that this is not selling as much as people like is the manufacturing, not the price. Once they can get a steady supply coming in, then, that will be a different story altogether.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

The 360 seems like the strongest bet when it comes to gaming, I really think it'll have a successfull lifespan in western countries.

Wii is a cool "party" console, but no substitute for a gamer.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

Ive got an xbox 360 and a Wii.

Wasnt even interested in buying a Wii, but got caught up in all the hype over the short supplies!

Needless to say, I havent looked back! Its a fantastic machine.

Very hard to compare the xbox and the wii though - two completly different consoles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S8bngWtLDY

Just to distinguish Wii from the PS3.