Thread: Too many CPs?

Question Too many CPs?

Is it just me, or do we have too many CPs coming out and undergoing development?

Also, those big names in the market such as Plesk and Ensim are really slashing prices, and with newer CPs pending in the horizon such as HostGUI and such, will my CP end up being washed away?

For those who do not know, yes, a CP is being developed by my guys. It's slated for a 3rd quarter release, and the beta testers are working full time running tests around with it - no major complaints so far, I'm glad to say

The question is, is a monthly fee going to help with the survival of it? My partners and I have got major plans for it, and will be adding a lot of modules, addons and such in line with market demand. We need the monthly fee to keep us the support staff going, and more importantly, the constant development of the CP.

Feel free to give me your frank opinions.

I think there are too many coming out, but none of them meet everyone's needs and/or work right most of the time.

If someone would come out with a CP that has billing, support tickets, and 4 levels of administration built into one package...they would own the market for CP's assuming that it worked right 95% of the time and to top it all have a version of it for Windows and BSD not limiting it to Linux.
    Voiding warranties is what I do best.

My own control panel (development frozen due to other projects) is 75% complete but its not for sale

Yes, I have seen Plesk, Ensim and Cpanel inside out (well almost ) and they do not meet the needs of everyone. At least not mine

So keep making as many CPs as possible
    × Dedicated Servers × cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    × VPS × Backups × Cloud × Colocation × Managed Services
    × Webx Networks × Serving world wide since 1997

Interesting... But what about the recurring fee model? I know people balk at the thought of US$100 a month (CPanel), so what exactly will look reasonable to you guys?

Originally posted by avium
    Interesting... But what about the recurring fee model? I know people balk at the thought of US$100 a month (CPanel), so what exactly will look reasonable to you guys?

I really don't like the recurring fee model.. I like to own my software...

How could a control panel handle billing??
    It has to be suitable with billing companies like worldpay or 2checkout??

I suppose that's where our addons come in, huh?

Originally posted by YUPAPA
    How could a control panel handle billing??
    It has to be suitable with billing companies like worldpay or 2checkout??
    I think he means how people pay for the software.. Like with cpanel its 100/month...

That's why we're trying to figure out what is a reasonable rate. One survey that I posted way back had the most results for US$1-US$30 per month, but I'm looking more into the US$50-US$70 per month range with my partners... It's a costly operation, but if we can get someone to team up with us in terms of leasing us servers at a low rate, prices will definitely go down

Originally posted by The Prohacker

I think he means how people pay for the software.. Like with cpanel its 100/month...
    I think he meant doing the actual billing for clients. Auto account setup.. etc...
    http://dynastyhost.com -Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Plans
    Web Hosting Since 1999
    Toll Free 1-866-307-HOST

Okay, confusing enough already I figured it was the 2nd reason, but...

As mentioned, yes, our addons (which are free is we go with a recurring billing model). We're not going to say too much about this aspect, but when we release the sales pamplet (PDF file) on WHT sometime within the next month or the month after, you guys can see exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty excited about the software myself, but the market has to be able to take another player, right?

Ahh well

Oh! come on guys! billing software integrated, trouble ticket system integrated or a module.

What next? Do I get 10 clients as well? How much to pay for that?
    × Dedicated Servers × cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    × VPS × Backups × Cloud × Colocation × Managed Services
    × Webx Networks × Serving world wide since 1997

Hmm, prebundled clients...

I think I better talk this out with my boys - it should interesting

J/K

Just a newbie question?..

Why do companies like CPanel charge you per month to use their software?... Do they do anything for you?... Or just how they sell it?
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Support, upgrades - all built into that recurring fee. Or at least, that is how we're structuring ours.

quote:

Is it just me, or do we have too many CPs coming out and undergoing development?

/quote:

LOL! you're contradicting yourself, you're making the statment that there's too many control panels out on the market and under going development, then you tell everyone that "your guys" are making one as you write and how good it's going to be.

Sorry! : )

Had to get a laugh in : )

Well, it goes along the lines of me asking - are there too many CPs?

Followed by: What would be the features demanded so we can get one perfect CP without having so many floating on the market - thereby cutting down the number of them around

Originally posted by Sainthax
    If someone would come out with a CP that has billing, support tickets, and 4 levels of administration built into one package...they would own the market for CP's assuming that it worked right 95% of the time and .......

I also think this is correct. If I am not mistaking, only alabanza's and ensim'c cp's have integrated billing and support. Some others may have support systems integrated but as far as I know only this two have both billing incorporated. Alabanza's stull sucks and has not been updated since the internet began and I hear ensim is pretty good but has a confusing frontend for end users and is not as pretty as others like cpanel. So, yes, I think we still have a market out there for brains that can come up with something affordable with integrated billing and ticket systems.

Another CPanel, or Plesk may not cut it.

I dont think there are enough out there. The more choices the better.

Originally posted by Jburnley
    Some others may have support systems integrated but as far as I know only this two have both billing incorporated.
    HSphere has both billing and support integrated.

There still isn't the perfect control panel out there, it just doesn't exist yet. HSphere is the closest I've seen yet with pletny of potential going forward.
    <!-- boo! -->