Bestofdata for icecast streaming

Hi,

I am starting a pilot for audio streaming using icecast in february. For now the traffic will be fairly low and i'm not expecting many users.

I am thinking about getting a bestofdata.com server at least for the testing period
    , to save somewhat on costs. I have been reading a few threads about them and I know there are sometime issues with billing, but that shouln't be a problem for me.

What worries me is the french location, which I have read have a decent link to Europe, but maybe not to North America. The vast majority of my listeners will be from canada, with some from France and the US. I am also worried about QoS that might affect audio traffic.

I am looking for feedback from people that are using their servers for audiocasting, if they had a good experience.

My other option is to go with fdcservers or a reseller and get a AMD 2400+. Obvously it is much more expensive.

Thanks

Guillaume

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg--
    Hi,

For now the traffic will be fairly low and i'm not expecting many users.
    Are you sure renting a dedicated is the most economical option to start? Perhaps consider a reputable US based stream provider until your traffic grows, then perhaps go dedicated. You can at least take the uncertainty of the quality of bandwidth from the equation.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

The goal of the project is to offer a streaming solution for a network of 30 radios in my area, so yes dedicated is a must for me. It will grow to a few thousand simultneous users over time.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

its impossible to get more than 25KB/s per connection to networks that they dont peer with (thats dediboxworld im talking about)

its hard enough to control a server over ssh lately (im in europe btw) as there is alot of lag never mind streaming

but i have to say they are very polite lately and maybe they can arange a server at a different location in france or netherlands, there a live support and vincent is very helpful

I'm with bestofdata.. and I can easily almost max out my 4mbit home connection in the US.. so your server must be having problems (to mihd)
    I'm not sure if my ISP peers with them, but none of my friends with various ISPs have problems.

I recommend them a lot, they're a really great provider.

I disagree I just signed up with BestofData and they're tech support guys know nothing, their speeds from US To Europe are horrible, requesting support takes them forever to respond. It may look like a nice deal but trust me don't use BetsofData worst $60 I ever spent in my life, and you can't even get a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilimanjaro
    I disagree I just signed up with BestofData and they're tech support guys know nothing, their speeds from US To Europe are horrible, requesting support takes them forever to respond. It may look like a nice deal but trust me don't use BetsofData worst $60 I ever spent in my life, and you can't even get a refund.
    Most providers don't offer refunds on dedicated servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailseh
    Most providers don't offer refunds on dedicated servers.
    hmmm thats not good news

Bestofdata is very good if you have the correct peering, at home I go over Global Crossing where I get 20kB/s or less, but when at work I go over telia and get 1-2MB/s

Their response time on tickets I send them is usualy about 5min or less, even in the middle of the night

As there is no way to know from which ISp clients will come, and no way to know if the peering will be good with them, I think I will stay away.

Also a few tests indicates that peering with one of the major canadian isp is terrible. So that won<t work for me.

I tested the routing with 1paket, it seems to be much better, so I will probably go with them, or a fdc box.

Thanks for all the replies, it is much appreciated.

Guillaume

Since you are in the cheap mode, you can look at: http://www.managemybox.com/

I did leave them because I think they are a "one man show" but I did never have much problem with their server or their Network speeds.

And just now you get a server for $49, but it's only 500 GB BW, maybe to low for you?

Edit: For $59 you get a server with 1500 GB of BW!!
    Last edited by myhken; 01-18-2007 at 04:45 PM.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)