PC Problem- MBR error

Hi all,

I've got a bit of trouble with a laptop conisistantly not booting and getting an MBR error. Basically after the machine POSTS the screen goes blank and just says "MBR Error, please F11 to fix"......pressing F11 doesn't make a difference.

Ive booted off the xp cd and ran repair and tried to repair the mbr using box fixmbr, I've tried chkdsk, reformatting the hd, all to no avail. Basically when I run fixmbr it says that it cannot due to some problem with the disk, i consistantly get this error with everything I try.

Please please help me as I'm at my wits end!

Many Thanks, James

If you've attempted to reload the OS or repair the MBR then it's most likely a failing HDD, it probably has a few bad sectors where the MBR blocks are.

Download the seagate / WD bootable HD diagnosis tool to verify.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

There are also a few great tools to check the SMART registers on the Hard Drive. I personally like Diskcheckup:
    http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm
    Fred
    PC Business Guide - For Computer Business Owners

You can try to make a boot disk off www.bootdisk.com. Or a CD as the case may be. Then use fdisk /fixmbr from the command prompt. I have had much better luck with the older DOS version of FDisk than the one that comes with XP.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

You can also try a utility called TestDisk. It's included with a Linux LiveCD called "Recovery Is Possible", and it has saved me a ton of trouble on many occasions. When I've managed to do something to my drive, it has been able to undo whatever I did in a matter of minutes, even a complete corruption of the partition table.