Thumbs up HostGator Comes Through For iPhone

I wanted to provide some further feedback on a situation I had with my site and with HostGator. I had been with Hostgator for about 5 months or so with their Baby Croc plan. Really, it was a low-cost option and I had zero problems. No downtime or anything. On Tuesday, Apple introduced the iPhone. Well, my site Everything iPhone experienced a massive surge of traffic causing the site to go down. Additionally, every site on the shared server went down. While I don't agree with the message depicted when a visitor hit the site (contact billing), the company did help me resolve the issue. I spoke with Brent at Hostgator who walked me through what had happened, what's happening at the moment and what we can do to resolve. In the end, we moved the site to their Pro Dedicated server. Over the course of a few hours, the site went from a Baby Croc shared server to their Pro Dedicated. Later that evening, I was back up and running thanks to the folks at Hostgator. I'm really impressed by the way they stepped up and took care of me. This was a unique case of a site that had roughly 2k unique visitors per day on a good day to getting blasted with traffic.

The site is humming along nicely and it's much appreciated. My faith in Hostgator has been restored!

I'm glad Hostgator came through for you in the end. BTW, it's a very nice site you have there .
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Thanks! Tuesday was wild. Lot of emotions - highs and lows. I'm sure I wasn't the only Apple related site that had trouble. I might have lost a few people, but there is still a good 6 months until it is released to gain them back.

"iphone" explains all.
    Did you know Apple was making the announcement?

Yep, very nice site there. :-)
    Michele Bugliaro Goggia, designer SUP in visual communication
    webmaster: www.ufopsi.com

I had no idea. I run a few other smartphone sites, but have always been a big Apple fan. iPhone has been the largest vaporware product that ever existing (until Tuesday). I took a chance back in April when I purchased the domain from someone who was looking to make $ off the domain. From that time on, I've just been reporting on the vast amount of rumors and extending the design from my other sites to iPhone. After the Cisco announcement, I didn't think it would be called iPhone. The gamble paid off and I'm excited about being able to have a Mac related site. I started one back in 1999, but let it go. Who knew this web thing would be so big.

BTW, I also owned the domain ipodrocks.com and let that slip. New owner, well let's just say they reside in Cupertino.

Excellent web site you have, good colors and unique.

It's nice to see that HostGator came through for you, and went beyond what many other web hosts would have done to make sure your web site was up and running

Nice site. I guess your domain name is going to be worth a lot now. I wonder what’s going to happen to the Cisco lawsuit.
    Alex Maleki -/- 1.866.596.8401
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.
    http://www.iteraweb.com | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support

Here's what happened from a technical standpoint......

The iphone was announced at which time the dual xeon server with 4 gigs of memory he was on became completely overwhelmed. 100's of shared customers went offline so we had no choice but to suspend his site.. He upgraded to a semi dedicated account at which point we moved him to a dedicated server by himself. This server crashed within minutes due to the huge volume of traffic. So many people were searching for news on the iphone any server we put him on would have been completely overwhelmed. We moved his site to a dedicated dual 2.66 server with 4 gigs of memory which was able to handle the site after the traffic surge died down. His stats from the 10th according to webalizer report about 28k unique 100k+ page views. The server load when I checked it yesterday was hovering around 4. Today it's been at 1-2.

It's a beautiful site. Great work!

As a new customer, I appreciate what you did.
    Michele Bugliaro Goggia, designer SUP in visual communication
    webmaster: www.ufopsi.com

Glad to hear you got it all worked out and I hope you get some more spikes in the future to see if your dedicated can handle it.

Might be a good time to look into some caching techniques
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Sounds like a very...very frequented site. Even after the surge in traffic making a dual cpu (or dual core system) have 1-2 for the load average would definitely indicate a bit of usage.

(Then again technical wise I did notice presence of vbulletin on the server, which can be intensive for mysql at times).

treoguy, nice site you've got going there keep up the good work.
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Quote Originally Posted by treoguy
    I had no idea. I run a few other smartphone sites, but have always been a big Apple fan. iPhone has been the largest vaporware product that ever existing (until Tuesday). I took a chance back in April when I purchased the domain from someone who was looking to make $ off the domain. From that time on, I've just been reporting on the vast amount of rumors and extending the design from my other sites to iPhone. After the Cisco announcement, I didn't think it would be called iPhone. The gamble paid off and I'm excited about being able to have a Mac related site. I started one back in 1999, but let it go. Who knew this web thing would be so big.

BTW, I also owned the domain ipodrocks.com and let that slip. New owner, well let's just say they reside in Cupertino.
    Well, you are a lucky guy, even though you had to go through a bit of pain.
    I guess your site can get surge of traffic everytime iphone re-appear on the news,
    and especially when it comes out in the market.
    But now, you are ready. Good for you !

You may still want to ask hostgator to keep the TTL to lower number so that you can switch to yet more powerful server without long down time.
    Since you are on the dedicated machine, you have more possibilities.

No wonder you had a surge in visitors... Your site looks VERY appealing!
    hi there!

That's awesome to hear! I used HostGator in the past to host my resume, and I was always pleased. It's nice to see a company that grows fast, and yet still cares about its users. Cool site, by the way!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Your site is very nice, and I'm sure that HostGator did a good job with this.

Thanks for sharing with us your experience with HostGator. You're free to keep us updated.

Good luck.
    I've been using HostGator for 38 months.. and it's been awesome.
    Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

Your lucky, there's plenty of hosts that would have just dumped you. We hear it all the time here. When someone has a ligitimate problem, Brent and team always seem to take the extra step and help out. It IS nice to see a company that grows fast, and yet still cares about its users. Nice work Hostgator and nice site too!
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

I would say that the merit goes to the customer as well. Not everyone is willing and prepared to fork the money necessary for sustaining success. Well done!

Best of luck making that site really lucrative!

Quote Originally Posted by treoguy
    On Tuesday, Apple introduced the iPhone. Well, my site Everything iPhone experienced a massive surge of traffic causing the site to go down. Additionally, every site on the shared server went down. While I don't agree with the message depicted when a visitor hit the site (contact billing), the company did help me resolve the issue. I spoke with Brent at Hostgator who walked me through what had happened, what's happening at the moment and what we can do to resolve. In the end, we moved the site to their Pro Dedicated server.
    I hope your site generates enough income for the dedicated server.

Which software are you using for your site? Does is have a caching system (has it been enabled)? Looking at your site and favicon, it look like joomla.

I am ready to leave one of my current hosts - Nightmare-Host - and am considering Hostgator. Main reasons are Ruby On Rails support, SSH and the bandwidth I need.