Private or shared switch...?

We are looking at getting several new servers in layeredtech, however are still in the planning stages.

I'm basically interested in knowing the benefits of having our own private switch verses a shared. Could anyone shed any light on this for me?

I've searched the forum and had nothing come back that has helped.

Thanks.

Rick
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.

A good quality private switch is better because you can set up two networks on it, one public, one private LAN for off server backups. Any backups going out over the public side will accrue bandwidth charges. A switch that can sense and shut down a broadcast storm which might be brewing up and is recommended. We've had good experience with these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833129055

Thanks for your post page-zone, much appreciated!

The switch would only be an extra $10/month (I presume per server) which isn't too bad. We are still looking into a few other solutions, but using a private switch and using it for both an internal vpn and backups would be great.

Thanks again,

Rick
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.

not sure how layeredtech does things, but if they allow you to aggregate bandwidth (by only counting the uplink bw of your switch), then its definitely worth it since as mentioned above, you can save a lot of bw for server to server traffic (sql, etc). also if they support vrrp/hsrp and allow you to hae 2 drops from different equipment, you can have redundant lines for a peace of mind.