Billing problems with 1&1

Just so everyone will know what kind of service to expect with one and one. I had first signed up with one and one in January 2005 and bought three domain names.

A year later -
    The time has come to renew the domain names that I registered had with 1&1. The reminder email was sent to me the first week of January. This "reminder" said that the amount due would be taken out of my account February 1st. The VERY NEXT DAY, not 4 weeks later, 1&1 tries to take the amount out of my account. Now, I get an email saying they are going to cancel my account within 7 days if I do not send them payment - 3 WEEKS before it is due!!!

Stay away from 1&1, their billing and service department is messed up!!

Its only 15 - 16 bucks so its not like 1&1 is asking for a lot of money - its the point of the matter, that they are demanding payment 3 weeks before it is due.

thank you very much for sharing this information, i am sure someone will read this and uses it.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Well I am not sure why they need it three weeks before it is due that makes no sense and I am sorry you have had this issue. And it is a good thing you wrote about it here for other potential and current customers can read about. I hope all goes well ~kev~.
    Forge Your Business Into The Future
    Web Hosting and Reseller Hosting at http://www.forgednetwork.com
    Real 99.9% Uptime Guarantee! - 99.97 since Sep. 13, 2005

This is the reason why domainers shy away from 1&1. I have heard nothing but complaints when it comes to domains and 1&1, particularly with the billing processes.

We hear a lot of 1 & 1 complaints - but they really don't care about one customer when they have millions.

Similar experience with 1and1...As they require a fax from you with your cancellation request, i cencelled 3 weeks before one of their free promo's ran out...and they "claimed" they never got it even though i got the fax acceptance sheet you get and they tried to bill me for 6 months.

I refused to pay and took a letter from their solicitors with court dates or "14 days to pay" before i finally handed it over just to avoid having court appearances on my name.

Discusting service, horrible people.

Yea, 1and1 is good at 2 things. Getting your buisness, and screwing you when you *TRY* to cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by wickshosting
    but they really don't care about one customer when they have millions.
    Sadly thats the problem...

I have dealt numerous times with 1and1's billing department and they are non-existant.

They have overcharged me numerous times(for domain names especially) and they never respond to emails.

I had to resort most of the time to charging back the overcharged transactions.
    Host In Us Web Hosting Services | www.hostinus.com
    Premium Enterprise Shared Web Hosting
    Less than 80 Customers per server!
    Try us out! We want to earn your business.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTech
    I have heard nothing but complaints when it comes to domains and 1&1, particularly with the billing processes.
    Hate to break your shutout, but I've had no problems with 1and1. First time I used them I decided to change and cancelled with 1and1 about a month before the term expired. I had already moved the domains to another registrar. They cancelled me as requested and even refunded the remaining month.

About 4 months ago I signed up again for another project. No problems. They're fast, reliable and cheap. Sure, the support sucks, but I knew that going in and don't expect instant help for $3.75 a month.

One thing that might be the difference. I use the U.S. 1and1; from the flavor of English in some of the above posts, I'd guess that some of you are using 1and1 in the U.K. They seem to be two vastly different outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by ~kev~
    Just so everyone will know what kind of service to expect with one and one. I had first signed up with one and one in January 2005 and bought three domain names.

A year later -
    The time has come to renew the domain names that I registered had with 1&1. The reminder email was sent to me the first week of January. This "reminder" said that the amount due would be taken out of my account February 1st. The VERY NEXT DAY, not 4 weeks later, 1&1 tries to take the amount out of my account. Now, I get an email saying they are going to cancel my account within 7 days if I do not send them payment - 3 WEEKS before it is due!!!

Its only 15 - 16 bucks so its not like 1&1 is asking for a lot of money - its the point of the matter, that they are demanding payment 3 weeks before it is due.
    I agree with you. I have been with 1and1 since they have established their US base, back in 2003 if I remember right and I have made numerous transactions (dedicated server and domains) and they never over charged me and for dedicated servers they returned the rest of the month's fees when I discontinued the server in mid-month.

Quote Originally Posted by ~kev~

A year later -

Some of my domains I bought back in 2003 were recently renewed as well and it went smoothly.

Are you sure about the information you were told in the email? I dont think your statement is true. Because their domain renewal emails look like this...

Quote Originally Posted by 1and1 Renewal Notification
    Customer ID: *******

Dear ***** *****,

This is a friendly reminder about the forthcoming automatic domain renewal
    for

******.****

due to expire in 30 days, on ******** ** *****.

No action is necessary on your part – as part of our service, the domain
    renewal is undertaken automatically so that your 1&1 hosting services will
    be able to continue uninterrupted.

However, to ensure a smooth renewal, please ensure that the credit card
    details recorded in your 1&1 Control Panel are correct and up-to-date. You
    can check your credit card details by accessing your secure 1&1 Control
    Panel at https://admin.1and1.com then click on the 'Account' tab at the
    top and then click on 'User Data' > 'Credit Card Details'.

If you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to contact our expert
    Support Team.

Sincerely,

Your 1&1 Internet Team
    www.1and1.com
    1) They never explicitly say the date or time when they will bill your credit card and if YOU remember correctly, they dont charge your credit card as soon as you buy a domain or any other services. They actually send you an invoice 4-5 days later and actually charge the CC approximately 2 weeks later.

This is my 3rd year of renewal, they NEVER charged me the "VERY NEXT DAY" they sent the renewal email, they always wait a couple of days.

2) This is your real problem, you are furious because you clearly know that your credit card is not upto date or have reached its limit or some other issue which makes it unusable. They clearly say in the renewal email to make sure your credit card works.

3) Just because your domain is not due for renewal for another 3 weeks does not mean 1and1 wont change for it in advance. And in a way its a good thing because if they keep the payment pending till the end of the renewal date and something goes wrong with your credit card, then your domain will go into redemption and then you will complain about not sending notice in advance or some other reason. This way you dont at least lose your domain and you will have another "chance" so to speak.

4) Even though 1and1 asks you to send a fax for contract termination you don't need to send those documents in. All you have to do is go to cancel.1and1.com, activate the cancellation (an email will be sent), confirm the cancellation email, another confirmation will be sent confirming the contract will be canceled.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Now, I get an email saying they are going to cancel my account within 7 days if I do not send them payment - 3 WEEKS before it is due!!!
    Well, one advantage is that you won't lose your domain. Re-registering should be done before the expiring day. The earlier, the better, as there will be time to address any problems that might arise.

Their approach to the whole matter is quite unpleasant though, that's pretty clear.

1&1 is a NIGHTMARE!!! I have about 30 domains registered with them and the other day I logged in to change my nameservers and all the domains were locked. I contacted them and they say that I have a past due balance even though they never notfied me. Then one of my co-workers had a plan with them. He sent an email to cancel it. Months later he started receiving calls from a collection agency trying to collect the hosting fees fro 1&1. They are the biggest joke. I think their days in business are numbered. I heard nothing but complaints about them.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDesigner76
    1&1 is a NIGHTMARE!!! I have about 30 domains registered with them and the other day I logged in to change my nameservers and all the domains were locked. I contacted them and they say that I have a past due balance even though they never notfied me. Then one of my co-workers had a plan with them. He sent an email to cancel it. Months later he started receiving calls from a collection agency trying to collect the hosting fees fro 1&1. They are the biggest joke. I think their days in business are numbered. I heard nothing but complaints about them.
    Well because most people do not read the proper cancellation and billing procedures of 1and1, no two hosts are exactly alike.

The main problem with people who have problems is the fact that, most, i'm not saying all, assume that 1and1's cancellation and billing policies are the same as their previous host. I was in the same boat to begin with as you guys but I never had any issues of over billing, due bills or anything out of the ordinary.

1) The reason your domains were probably locked because 1and1 renews domain automatically as long as your credit card is valid, mind you that they send an email 30 days before your domain renewals and ask you to be sure the credit card is valid.

Does a host/registrar have to tell you that you have a bill/balance due? Dont you keep track of your bills? If you bought a service or know the domains will be renewed soon but dont see the statement in your credit card bill the next month shouldn't bells ring right there? Or did you think you would just some how get away with it? True, a lot of people will agree that its the host's/registrar's job to inform the customer before the invoice, and 1and1 does that, once. If you miss or over read it, then thats your problem.

2) You dont email to cancel a service at 1and1, you go to cancel.1and1.com and then activate the cancellation. Once activated, you will get an email to confirm the cancellation. After you click on the link you will get another email confirming that the cancellation has been processed successfully.

I dont mind if people blame 1and1 for support and some other valid point, but dont blame them for your poor research and inability to follow a few procedures
    Last edited by HNLV; 01-14-2007 at 12:57 AM.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaD
    Hate to break your shutout, but I've had no problems with 1and1. First time I used them I decided to change and cancelled with 1and1 about a month before the term expired. I had already moved the domains to another registrar. They cancelled me as requested and even refunded the remaining month.

About 4 months ago I signed up again for another project. No problems. They're fast, reliable and cheap. Sure, the support sucks, but I knew that going in and don't expect instant help for $3.75 a month.

One thing that might be the difference. I use the U.S. 1and1; from the flavor of English in some of the above posts, I'd guess that some of you are using 1and1 in the U.K. They seem to be two vastly different outfits.
    So GrandpaD let me tell you a story about them (it's just happened with my friend few days ago): My friend ordered a business account(200G space and 2000G band); he's built up a forum, one day when he visit his forum it show him nothing but an error page and what's next??? he's trying to login admin.1and1.com to see what happend but it's more funny when it said there's no account like that in 1and1 database. So he tried to contact 1and1 for ask them about his account but it's more than a week and he still hear nothing from them yet (even an auto respond email or a voice message);i tried to help my friend by send emails to ask them at least return his forum database so he can change to another hosting company but the same thing with my emails.Now i wonder if 1and1 ever (yes have they ever) care about their customers ??

Quote Originally Posted by Root4sale
    Now i wonder if 1and1 ever (yes have they ever) care about their customers ??
    At one point while I was a customer of them, an apparent "new" administrator changed a critical server setting that through off my whole database driven website. Long story short, after yelling and calling a million times, 1and1 finally admitted their error.

The interesting thing was that while I was in this battle with 1and1, I went looking around 1and1.com and other websites to try to find a corporate phone number or office.

What a surprise? They dont have one.

Not a single reference anywhere to a corporate office, just that they are a member of United Internet(which by the way is not listed either).

I even called sales and asked for their corporate phone number and they said that "sales" was their corporate office. And when I asked if "sales" could help me regarding the issue they said they couldnt they just handle "sales" but I could contact the famous email address [email protected].

There's no words to describe the bewhilderment I was feeling. (And I did email complaints@ and I never recieved a response)

So you ask if they care about their customers? Well..hmm...Thats a tough one
    Host In Us Web Hosting Services | www.hostinus.com
    Premium Enterprise Shared Web Hosting
    Less than 80 Customers per server!
    Try us out! We want to earn your business.

I forgot to tell you guys that as i told you before when my friend log in admin.1and1.com they said that there's no account like that in their database but my friend credit card still being charge $29 by them (his contract is 3 months payment term) ; that was the most crazy thing i ever met lol .Why they're not just say that they're ripping company instead of hosting company???

Nothing but complaints?

Quote Originally Posted by WebDesigner76
    1&1 is a NIGHTMARE!!! ... I heard nothing but complaints about them.
    Well, higher in the thread there is a positive comment. And here's another. I'm not saying they're perfect and yes, their support is not the best, but as for the billing and domain management etc. I have to say I have had no problems over the last 3 years.

And, yes, as Anantha noted, cancel.1and1.com (or .co.uk) is the place to go to cancel contracts and it has worked perfectly for me when I've needed it.

So, I'm not denying that others have obviously had problems - and I know how annoying and frustrating that can be - just trying to complete the picture. (Is there a smilie that conveys sympathetic understanding?)

For the record, I use the UK based version!

You can add me to the chorus that say to stay the heck away from them in the US. I never even was one of their customers and they tried to bill me for domain name registration and hosting. Someone had fraudulently used my name and apparently credit card number to sign up for the free year that turned into a paid year when the 1st 12 months were up. I found out by chance that someone had used my name and notified them severl months in advance of the due date.

They charged my credit card anyway.

I disputed the charge with my credit card company and because 1and1 had no proof whatsoever, lost the dispute.

After that 1and1 sent the bill to a COLLECTIONS AGENCY, threatening to harm my creidt rating because of their incompetence.

That was the point where I got really steamed and called the idiots in billing. I told them look, the name and address are mine, the phone # is bogus, the contact email address is in CHINA, can you not see that this is a fraud? They replied that they had no way of knowing, and I told them that I had personally notified them months before. So their response was that I had to "cancel" in writing. Since I had never requested any service, I told them I was not about to cancel, I had a better idea. I reported those crooks to the Attorney General in Pennsylvania and that lit a fire under their hind ends. Amazingly, the guy in their fraud department (some name like "Chestnut") had the gall to lie to the Attorney General, saying that they had resolved it before I had filed the complaint. I have it all in writing and I can't wait to see if those morons try to pull the same shabby trick this year, since they went ahead and registered it for a third year in my name against my will.

There is a class-action lawsuit brewing against these crooks so all I can say is that if 1and1 has done you wrong, do not hesitate to file a complaint with the PA attorney general. They will not do a blessed thing unless you hit them where it hurts.

I had 1 n 1 didn't like it

Hi!
    Well...my personal experience is ok so far (knock on wood) even though I don't use them for hosting...in fact...never plan to. I have heard that's where they really get you...and if you don't give them the chance to do so...well...they can't.

Their service is terrible...not only slow...but practically useless. As I have said from the start...I got the account for the software and the domains...and still are pleased with that investment.

I do have a question for the more experienced. Does the licensed software software stop working if I cancel the account later this year?

Just curious.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Not sure. You have to ask your hosting about it.

These people are the worst hosts ever. I can go on and on about how they screwed me out of a fvew hundred dollars and kicked me off a server even though I didn't use even 30% of what was alloted to me.

I am currently trying to find a new host and I will expand my posts when I've finally moved.