Is there a program to organize php code to look neater?

I know with Dreamweaver if you use the "apply source formatting" option it automatically adds spaces to html code to make it easier to read, and I was wondering if there was any software that offers the same thing but with php code? I would think there is since a few years ago I had a friend work on a php file and he managed to organize over 700 lines of code and I doubt he did all of that manually. Thanks.

Lots of modern programming editors will have options to auto indent and syntax highlight which make reading the code much easier. What OS are you running and I will let you know which ones I like.

[theBleeber@wht01] ~ $ cat .signature
    cat: .signature: No such file or directory

I use Windows XP. I doubt he manually spaced out and made every single line of code nice and pretty in less than a day. It was a bad script written by someone who just added php code all on the same line and my friend spaced out everything neatly like a default phpBB type file. If Dreamweaver can automatically space out html code I would assume there is a program that does that for php as well.

If I am ever on a windows machine, I typically use textpad. What you are looking for is an editor with the "Beautify Code" option, or somthing to that effect. Why not ask your friend how he/she did it?

[theBleeber@wht01] ~ $ cat .signature
    cat: .signature: No such file or directory

I would recomend Zend Studio, Its has all the features your could ever want.
    CVS, SVN, Code Highlighter, Mysql Inter, Project management, Code indenter etc...

Hope this helps.

http://www.waterproof.fr/products/phpCodeBeautifier/ is a free tool that does exactly that - you just specify how you want certain things to be formatted (e.g. brace positions) and it does it for you.

I use TotalEdit as PHP software editing. I also use DZSoft PHP Editor.

Thanks guys I will check it out later

Eclipse has this as well. Source -> Format Document or Source -> Format Active Elements.

I use editplus. http://www.editplus.com/

If you are using any editors like Dream Weaver,Zend it will help to make it clean.If you are looking indending facility I think DW is fine

Hi,

There's a program called SourceFormatX. Check it out:

textrush.com
    PalmHost - A Montréal based Web hosting company
    cPanel w/Fantastico & Online SiteBuilder (+200 royalty free website templates)
    Bilingual Support (English & French)
    30 Day Unconditional Money Back Guarantee

If you are using dream weaver ,it is supplying a facility to apply source formatting.
    It will make the HTML tags and PHP codes to look better

If you are looking for good indenting,there is zend studio that will automatically format the code,provided wrapping must be turned off

Quote Originally Posted by Olate
    http://www.waterproof.fr/products/phpCodeBeautifier/ is a free tool that does exactly that - you just specify how you want certain things to be formatted (e.g. brace positions) and it does it for you.
    Works great. It's fast and easy, and it'll even run on linux! (through wine)