Password Management Program

Greetings,

Our company has grown to many servers, and we are looking for a program that can help us manage passwords. Not only passwords for servers, but passwords for our sites.

Is anyone using a program like this (free or paid)?

Mark

i use keepass keepass.info

How secure do you think a program is that has all yoru msot valuable information inside of it? I am nervouse about these kind of things and just wanted to know if someone could shed some light on this..
    Also, anyone know any other programs? I may give keepass.info a try though ;-)

I say you can't beat the security of paper in a locked filing cabinet but so many people run 'bedroom businesses' and it's hard going finding the space to put a filing cabinet.

However, I don't use any software, what I do is, if I need to access someones account, I change their password and send them a copy of it. Which works out even better because ideally your clients should change their passwords regularly anyway, but how many actually do?

I'd tend to be in the same boat as cscert to be honest, I'd be wary of using that software until I knew from others it's safe to use. I'll probably take a peek myself and give it a try, but I'll not be putting anything too sensitave in there right away.
    WKD Banners | Make the most of your advertising!
    Designing banners since 2004 | Visit our Website www.wkdbanners.com

keepass is quite safe. you can work with a passphrase AND a key file.
    if you forget your password or you loose the keyfile.. everything is unusable.

one more vote on keepass.

Well we are not a bedroom business, but more of a large basement business with a few different basements in use .

I was looking for a multi work station type of program that could be used over a VPN.

Thanks for the replys .

Mark

that's not really what you asked for.. and i have a multi building business, and still using keepass.. it's opensource.. so extend it if you like.. like i did.

Hope you didn't think I was being nasty with the 'bedroom business' comment. I have nothing against them, no overheads ... great stuff for those that can work like that. lol

I've been using Keepass for years. Great app. I'd be lost without it.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Quote Originally Posted by lochie
    I say you can't beat the security of paper in a locked filing cabinet but so many people run 'bedroom businesses' and it's hard going finding the space to put a filing cabinet.
    That's probably the most insecure way to store and access passwords. It's ok until your office gets broken into, and that filing cabinet is opened with a screwdriver. My keepass locks itself after 5 minutes of non-use, and it's damn near impossible for anyone to gain access to it, without the master password.

The encryption kungfu is very strong.

Add me as another vote for KeePass. I have been using it for a long time. I like the fact that the source is available, so I know what it is doing and can modifiy it if I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    That's probably the most insecure way to store and access passwords. It's ok until your office gets broken into, and that filing cabinet is opened with a screwdriver. My keepass locks itself after 5 minutes of non-use, and it's damn near impossible for anyone to gain access to it, without the master password.

The encryption kungfu is very strong.
    I guess we need to agree to disagree on this one then. lol I don't see many people risking being caught breaking into somewhere being as high as using that software and being able to get the data from the use of a keylogger, no matter how secure anyone say it is. There is always someone smarter out there, just like no matter how idiot proof you make something, someone will always make a better idiot.

I'd say a million to 1 chance of someone breaking into the building, and probably the same of hacking the software. The only important point is... is it your building or software? So I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I'd not say my solution was the worst at all. No one knows the full security of a building these days which is a deterant in itself.

I have a .40 calibre Glock that says my filing cabinet is pretty doggone secure... Dunno about yours though! Sorry couldn't resist that one.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Another vote here for KeePass. Easy to use and secure.
    Plus the ability to copy a pass/user/URL to the clipboard, and auto clear it within 10 seconds is very nice, and adds to the usability greatly. I can't imagine having to manually type in ANY of the server passwords that we're now using.
    Wayne Reavill. CEO,
    WebHostingBuzz.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDotted
    Another vote here for KeePass. Easy to use and secure.
    Plus the ability to copy a pass/user/URL to the clipboard, and auto clear it within 10 seconds is very nice, and adds to the usability greatly. I can't imagine having to manually type in ANY of the server passwords that we're now using.
    Yeah, and most of my passwords look like this 'K1j*JH*(^?>_&H(O)U)*Io^$5hBJBV>_^5', so it's not like I can manually type them out.

I have keepass lock itself after 10 minutes of non use, so it's very safe. I don't know how I ever got by without my keepass, given the large amount of access points I use for personal and business.

I just installed keepass the other day myself Nice little app that'll follow me around in the future!
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.