If its not managed, what do you have to do yourself?

I can't seem to find a affordable managed dedicated server that meets my needs. Most of the managed companies only do things like update software and fix the server if it goes down. I am finding great information here on WHT such as setting up automatic with bqbackup and am just crazy enough to start thinking I might be able to deal with a non managed server and hire someone to help if it is too much to handle.

I know I would have to move my current forums from old to new server (would hire someone for that) and I have to point the domains to the new server (no problem) and I'd have to reconfigure email and server connections for dreamweaver (ok, I can do that) I would also have to backup and would be getting bqbackup and the host company to write the scripts to do that automatically (for their monthly fee) Other than that, is there any other things I need to know how to do for day to day operations? I'm not talking about optimizing anything, just the day to day maintenence. What is needed?

And, of course if you have any server admins you have had phenomenal experience with over a long period of time, I'd like to know who they are.

assuming you are referring to linux, then know where things are and how to monitor performance/loads and also know what to quickly check for signs of security breach , hacking or other abuse. being able to do that is enough to know that your server is working ok. if you see a problem and it neds to be fixed, if you cant do it yourself then go get external people to do it, but you should be able to monitor and do basic adjustments and configuration changes yourself without too many issues provided you are comfortable using the shell etc.
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

Usually, unmanaged companies will only do reboots for you. It really differs with various companies. Try finding the different meanings of "managed" and "unmanaged" with the companies on your list. Good luck..

You can basically draw the line at "your server being online", excluding things like server restores. So if we were to compare this to your home desktop, the provider would be the ones giving you the electricity to power it. You take care of the everything else.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Day to day maintenance can vary depending on what the server's workload is like. Good redundant hardware will cut the day to day maintenance needs drasticly. If its an overloaded, underpowered machine you would need to watch the running processes and partition sizes, and error logs like a hawk. If its a single site pushing 20GB a month and isn't vital that it have zero downtime you plug it in, get somewone to set up security make sure backups go off the server automatically and forget about it for weeks and months at a time.

As far as setting up initial security check out rippleweb.com - they will deliver a fully configured and secured machine to you within a day for the best price anywhere. Or for an unmanaged dedicated colostore.com (not sure if they do managed or not). You will get the best price for that that can be found anywhere, access to a KVM hookup when needed which will help out a LOT when doing kernel updates, or jujst about anything else where you need to reboot and interact with the machine before the OS is loaded.

Thank you all for your replies. It seems there's more than I want to deal with for managing it myself. Rather, more than I want to learn to do it. I went and signed up with liquidweb and their fully managed server. THey say they do all the setup of the server, cp, maintenence, patches, looks like they do quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by excitingname
    Thank you all for your replies. It seems there's more than I want to deal with for managing it myself. Rather, more than I want to learn to do it. I went and signed up with liquidweb and their fully managed server. THey say they do all the setup of the server, cp, maintenence, patches, looks like they do quite a bit.
    Well of course, but you pay the price because you can get a server with those specs with relative cheaper prices.

Think about this, you can either learn ONCE how to manage stuff on a server or you can ask a tech MULTIPLE times to recompile apache.

But you get the idea. You have to wait for someone, no matter how fast they are to fix the issue, on the other hand if you knew how to do it, it could take less than 2 minutes in some cases .
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

I totally agree on the learn once thing and have done that with countless other projects but in this case I just don't want to spend the time on it.

I thought about getting the unmanaged server (cheaper, I know) and hiring an admin but the last admin lost both sites (totally unrecoverable) 2 years ago and I just don't have the time to spend looking for a good one. And, I figured I'd still have to call them up and wait. I am thinking it will be actually a bit faster with liquidweb.

I actually think I got a good deal from liquid web: Fully managed dual xeon, dual core with 2mb ram, 2-120gb drives, 2400gb? bandwidth, with backup for 284

But yes, you are so right about the learn it once thing.

No prob, what ever suits you is probably the best thing
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

"2mb ram" - you've been stitched up
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/