Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breaking News: Canada has trade sanctions in place with the United States - Nvidia

So my friend tried to order an Nvidia DualTV tv tuner from Nvidia's online store.
    Order went fine, he selected Canada as the destination country, shipping method and submitted the order.

The next day his credit card gets charged. Good.
    Two days later, he gets a refund on his card from nvidia.

Upon emailing them and asking why he was refunded, here's the answer he got:

And we must of course quote their website:

Do you ship to my country?
    We ship to all countries except those with trade sanctions in place with the United States.
    https://store.nvidia.com/DRHM/servle...US&Env=BASE#q3

I live outside the US. Do I have to pay customs fees?
    If you live outside the United States, custom and tariff fees may apply according to your country's import laws.These fees are not collected by this company, and this company does not have control of these fees.
    https://store.nvidia.com/DRHM/servle...US&Env=BASE#q4

He send another email to them with the 2 links above. We'll be awaiting Nvidia's official reply...

Keep us posted, this is interesting. Wouldn't they just ask him to pay the fees instead of rejecting his order?

Robert Davis

Couldn't you wait to post this thread after nvidia replies?

Meh, posting it now is more interesting. It's a developing story

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    Couldn't you wait to post this thread after nvidia replies?
    My though exactly! Interesting though.

Actually Canada has a free trade agreement with the US. While not exactly "free" there is an agreement in place and Canada is the US's largest trading partner.

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/...t/balance.html

So clearly there isn't an embargo. Unfortunately 2 + 2 doesn't always = 4 if the first 2 are fruit and the latter are cats.

For the conspiracy theorists out there many many companies do not allow shipments outside of their region OR allow it to places except where there is a distribution agreement in place.

For instance, try ordering Sirius satellite radio from Canada on the US site. They will only ship to a US address as there is a Canadian Sirius Business which serves Canada.

The more basic issue is which tax is paid for an online order. Some merchants just don't bother with the border clearing hassles and instead just have an agreement with a distributor in Canada and vice versa.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

CoolRaul, your answer makes perfect sense, however, if we got on nvidia.ca (the canadian site) and click on Store on the top menu, we are redirected to store.nvidia.com (global?).

For them not to ship to a country that clearly has a clear business status with the states is kind of weird.
    Moreover, the DualTV card is an online store exclusive, hence why his only way was to go through nvidia's online store.

Certainly falls WAY short of 'breaking news'.

This is simple drama. I'm quite sure you'll find that they'll ship to you somehow, or have other reasons not to.

trade sanctions? hehehe bit over the top.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Hey wojtek. This might help your website a bit. Rather trivial I know, but I hate when a default value sticks in a text field when it will be deleted. Here's a way to get rid of it when a user clicks the field.

put this in the text area line: value="Type your question here" onfocus="this.value='';"
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Quote Originally Posted by fastnoc
    Certainly falls WAY short of 'breaking news'.
    This is simple drama.
    A little drama never hurt anyone Life would be boring without it.

Thank you for the html tip, I've added it to the website

I order things from the States all the time. This is false.

It's called customs and duty.

If you want the DualTV tuner without paying customs and duty, get it from www.ncix.com
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

Quote Originally Posted by fromage
    It's called customs and duty.

If you want the DualTV tuner without paying customs and duty, get it from www.ncix.com
    www.tigerdirect.ca (ships from the US usually) too.
    I love NCIX and their prices but the shipping is expensive compared to tiger IMO. I believe NCIX is in BC so it makes sense.

if canada blocked nvidia i could understand that
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Unfortunately we are only able to ship to US customers.
    More Breaking News : US has trade sanctions with the entire world.

Let's all play the "Jump to Conclusions" game, brought to by Office Space.

That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by revelationdesign
    I love NCIX and their prices but the shipping is expensive compared to tiger IMO. I believe NCIX is in BC so it makes sense.
    No .ca ships from Toronto

Tigerdirect uses UPS. I don't like my packages sitting on my doorstep when I get home from school or work.

0 of 495292 items found

We could not find any matches for your search term "dualtv."

Already tried
    DualTV = Nvidia Online Store exclusive

Hmm... I guess it isn't available to Canadians. I got a Hauppage PVR-150MCE and it works fine and is pretty good. They also have a similar 2-input whatever TV tuner, I think it's PVR-350 or something.

Btw, you know Victor got a PS3, eh.

PVR-150MCE's drivers are not compatible with AMD's Dual-Core optimizer, so no Hauppage can be used in that HTPC.

wow, he must of sold lots of lil baggies to afford that ps3

I'm using it fine... I got AMD X2. And PVR-150MCE works fine with my computer.

I'm using it fine... I got AMD X2. And PVR-150MCE works fine with my computer.
    Msn quote:
    P h i l says:
    he said he has a pvr-150MCE and an X2, i've got a pvr-150 non MCE and an X2 WITH dual core optimizer
    P h i l says:
    my pvr-150 works great without the dual core optimizer
    P h i l says:
    under windows xp pro
    P h i l says:
    never tried under MCE though
    P h i l says:
    I want a dual-tv card, theres an nvidia and hauppauge
    P h i l says:
    the hauppage one is the pvr-500
    P h i l says:
    but the chips are not as good as nvidia's
    P h i l says:
    nvidia uses vixis chips
    P h i l says:
    and fromage didnt say if he uses the amd's dual core optimizer drivers

Btw, no replies from nvidia yet.

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    No .ca ships from Toronto
    That's news to me because I ordered something from them it took a month + to arrive and on top of that it came from the the u.s. Good thing I disputed the payment I made so I ended up just paying duty on it and that's all.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

I buy all kinds of stuff from businesses shipping from the united states and have never had an issue with paying any kind of customs. The only issue that may come up that has happened to me is having to pay GST but that is hardly anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB
    That's news to me because I ordered something from them it took a month + to arrive and on top of that it came from the the u.s. Good thing I disputed the payment I made so I ended up just paying duty on it and that's all.

That's weird, if they would of charged you duty I would of went to them to get it back. They have a store in Toronto so I don't see why it wouldn't come from there.

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    That's weird, if they would of charged you duty I would of went to them to get it back. They have a store in Toronto so I don't see why it wouldn't come from there.
    See that's what I thought to infact it said when I ordered no duty fee's or anything of that nature since the items would be coming from canada. Of course I disputed the payment and since they couldn't even provide a tracking number I won the dispute and got my money back. A week later my item arrives and then I check the tracking info on it and find out it give from virginia I believe. So at the end of the day I got my item I didn't pay them anything and ended up paying a fee when the item arrived. Not once did tigerdirect ever contact me about the dispute either it was quite strange oh well.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

I use the dual-core optimizer. do i need to post proof?

as far as I know MCE and non-MCE are the exact same. I think.
    Last edited by fromage; 01-11-2007 at 07:16 PM.

Hi fromage, I am Wojtek friend who is having issues with nVIDIA online store customer service.

I do not want any proof, I do beleive you, but anyways, the PVR-150 non-MCE & MCE are not the same, and do not have the same drivers. The non-MCE version have an IR Blaster and no audio input, the MCE version have onboard audio input, and no IR Blaster.

Anyways, I do not want an Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150. I do have one presently, and it is standing on a shelf taking dust... I used this tuner for about 6 months, with Microsoft Windows XP Pro and an AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+. Back then, the AMD Dual-core Optimizer drivers were not released yet, so I had no troubles at all, except that the tuner were not doing a good job for half the channels, some of them didn't had any sound at all, and my coaxial frequency is very good. I had tried another tuner made by Compro, and the image was clear, sounds was excellent, it was perfect, but this Compro was not mine, and anyways the channels I was having troubles with, with the Hauppauge, were not interresting me anyways, so I kept my Hauppauge.

But the AMD Athlon64 X2 were having some troubles when playing games. I had to restart the computer before launching any 3D games, to refresh the cores caches.

When AMD released his Dual-core Optimizer, I installed it, and it solved every video rendering issues. That driver is a MUST for gamers with Athlon X2.

But then, each time the WinTV applications were running to record a scheduled show, I was getting a BSOD. And it was always related to WinTV drivers. I uninstalled, reinstalled the drivers a couple of times, trying different settings, but I was still getting the BSOD. I uninstalled the Dual-core Optimizer, and everything got solved again.

So I contacted Hauppauge support, to known if they were working on the issue on their next drivers update. They told me yes, but 3 drivers revisions later, problem was still not fixed, so I just removed the tuner from my system and stopped recording my favorite shows.

Until now, I didn't had the money to buy a new one. After looking at a couple review, my choice stopped on the nVIDIA DUALTV. I wanted a Dual TV tuner, so I only had the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-500 or the nVIDIA DUALTV with hardware MPEG2 encoders for choices.

The Hauppaige's one is using an old chip from Philips, the nVIDIA's one is using a newer and better chip from VIXS. All review I've read were saying that the nVIDIA was having a better image quality than the hauppauge.

So my choice was easily made, and since I had soo much trouble with hauppauge in the past, this was just perfect for me.

So where is my nVIDIA trouble start. nVIDIA makes very good products, but I have to say that their online store customer service is really bad!

I go to nvidia.ca , then I click on products, select the DUALTV, then I click Add to Cart. It redirect me to store.nvidia.com . Then I click checkout, fill the form, enter my payment method, street address, etc etc...

I click submit, and the transaction is approved. The next day I woke up and check my email to see if my goods has been shipped. But the email I've got was not to tell me that my goods were shipped, but on the contrary, it was saying that my order has been cancelled, with no explainations.

I then contacted nVIDIA online store customer service to know why my order was cancelled. They replied telling me that they do not ship internationaly.

I replied back saying that I do not understand why they are saying that they do not ship internationaly, since I could select my Country on the checkout form, with the appropriate carrier/shipping service.

They just replied the same answer: "We do not ship internationnal, sorry for any inconveniences".....

I then contact them back with a link of their own online store FAQ saying that they'll ship to every country, except the ones with trade sanctions in place with the US. I also pointed the other FAQ that was saying that international customer will have to pay customs fees to their respective country if applied.

To this email, they never replied back at all.

I then recontacted them, with the same message, and a new link that I've found on their official website.

Here's the link:

Here's the answer I've got:

"Dear Customer,1-800-797-6530" Thank you for contacting the NVIDIA online store.

We apologize for the inconvenience, unfortunately, our NVIDIA online store is not equipped to recommend products or offer technical advice. Due to this, we request you to please contact our Technical Support Department at the following:"

Have I asked for technical advice or products recommendations ???? I don't remember....

So they did not even took the time to read carefully the email and the links I gave them. They just saw an nVIDIA FAQ link to their technical support, and replied this....

Now I've just replied to them, and I am really, really piss off!

Here's my message:

"I am not looking for technical advice, I gave you the link to show you that you should ship the DualTV tuner to Canada...

After having made the transaction online, I've received an email telling me that my order was cancelled. I contacted your Online store support service, to ask why was my order got cancelled. TheI learned from the representative, that nVidia Online store do not ship internationnal.

So I then replied with a link from your own onlice store FAQ, saying that nVidia online store does ship internationnal.

This is the link:

It is clearly mentionned:
    "Do you ship to my country? We ship to all countries except those with trade sanctions in place with the United States."

"I live outside the US. Do I have to pay customs fees? If you live outside the United States, custom and tariff fees may apply according to your country's import laws.These fees are not collected by this company, and this company does not have control of these fees."

I think that your employee do not know what they can or can't do. I know that this DualTV is NTSC only, so if this is why they are telling me that they do not ship internationnal, it is a better explaination. BUT it is still not a good explanation for Canadian like me, because we do use NTSC, and in the Nvidia.com FAQ link I gave you, it is clearly said that you will only ship the DualTV to the United-States and Canada.

Link:

"
    Where can I buy the PAL/SECAM version of the NVIDIA DualTV MCE tuner card?
    The NTSC version of the DualTV tuner card is only available for sale in the United States and Canada, and is not sold in any other countries. We have no plan to offer the PAL/SECAM version for retail or distribution anywhere in the world."

So now I want you to ship me a damn DualTV tuner in Canada at my house, and tell your employees that you do SHIP DUALTV TO CANADA This is the fifth time I'm contacting your onlince store service, and each time I'm getting stupid answer that are not related to my question.

The above FAQ links I gave you, were sent in all the previous emails, and each time you're replying without answering the question.

I've got a "We do not ship internationnal" answer, so I guess the representative did not even look at the FAQ links, then I got a "For customer feedback please contact nvidia using the online form", which is by the way, under construction...... And finally I got a "We are not equipped for technical advice", So this is a 3 strikes in a row, none of your representative did check the link I gave... They just saw an FAQ link and replied without taking my concerns.

Now, after having ALL taken into consideration my message, read the FAQ links I gave you, don't tell me you have still not shipping this DUALTV to Canada... If you don't, I WANT TO KNOW WHY, because everywhere on your website it is mentionned the opposite!!!

Even on nvidia.ca , we have a link buy it now of the DUALTV, which redirect us to the nvidia online store!

I'll look forward for your answer.
    Phil"

So this is it, I'm waiting for their reply now. Their average respond time is 48 hours, and each time it's a different representative...

PS: I'll ask Wojtek to post the links, the freaking forum won't let me until I have five posts.

I'm sure it was just a mistake by nVidia. They don't usually make mistakes like that.

wow, you already read the whole message??? I've just posted it lolll

I skimmed through it. Montreal is playing horribly again.

oh boy 2-0 for vancouver, Carbo is going to hit someone!!

3-0. what a crappy game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mari0-Br0s
    PS: I'll ask Wojtek to post the links, the freaking forum won't let me until I have five posts.
    As requested, here are the links to their 3 faq entries as stated in Phil's post.

Do you ship to my country? / I live outside the US. Do I have to pay customs fees?
    https://store.nvidia.com/DRHM/servle...US&Env=BASE#q3

Where can I buy the PAL/SECAM version of the NVIDIA DualTV MCE tuner card?
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...i=&p_topview=1

4-0

Ok guys, time for an update!

They never replied to my last email. So I called their HEAD OFFICE in California, the call bankrupted me, they don't have a free toll number....

I spoke to the manager of the Online Store division, he told me that they were shipping in Canada, and he wasn't understanding why his employees were saying no. He told me to re-order the tuner and if I was being told that they do not ship in Canada again, he told me to call him back.

This was the 25th of January. I ordered the same date the Tuner. At the moment I'm typing this message, it is still saying "Order in process..." and my VISA has still not been charged yet... I've sent them an email to know how long will this takes to process the order, that was on last Thursday (1st February), then again, no answer from their part, we are the 5th of Frebruary!

nVIDIA customer service is offcialy total crap! 3 strike in a row!

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the NVIDIA online store.

We have verified that your order number xxxxxxxxxxxxx has been cancelled
    and will not be posted to your credit card nor shipped out. Your order
    has been cancelled because the NVIDIA Online Store is not able to ship
    to Quebec at this time. The e-mail you received was generated
    automatically by our system prior to the cancellation being processed.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please "reply" to this
    e-mail.

Sincerely,
    Andrea R.
    NVIDIA online store
    Customer Service
    [email protected]
    Case ID: xxxxxxx

------------------------------

This is gay! we're part of Canada, but have no advantage of it.

[/FONT]
    I am having a hard time understanding your use of the word "gay." Is it a happy situation, or are you saying that the whole situation is homosexual? Neither make sense.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the NVIDIA online store.

We have verified that your order number xxxxxxxxxxxxx has been cancelled
    and will not be posted to your credit card nor shipped out. Your order
    has been cancelled because the NVIDIA Online Store is not able to ship
    to Quebec at this time. The e-mail you received was generated
    automatically by our system prior to the cancellation being processed.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please "reply" to this
    e-mail.

Sincerely,
    Andrea R.
    NVIDIA online store
    Customer Service
    [email protected]
    Case ID: xxxxxxx

Well frankly that is because Quebec tries to be as separate as they can be. There are many contests that cannot be entered for Quebec residents for the very same reason. I'd say you should be blaming your Provincial Government. But I suppose this isn't really a thread about Quebec sovereignty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast