Hostjury.com: New design, forums & blog launched

Good morning,

We've recently launched a new design, forum & blog on Hostjury. We intend on launching several additional features soon but are looking for feedback on our new sections first.

Thank you for any provided!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Looks good but I'm getting PHP errors when I click on "Review this Host" links.

Looks great. Hope someday to be on the reviews
    Patrick Buckner
    INSIDER NODE

Techno,

Which specific one did you get errors on?
    I'm currently unable to reproduce the issue at this time.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Good job David.

Just a couple of suggestions;

I would give the menu links at the top a hover state. Maybe just change the font colour to orange when a user hovers over them.

I think the <h1> tags will make the content area look better if they have a larger top margin. It all seems a little cluttered right now. Maybe you could even put a horizontal rule between each item in that content area. A 75% wide, 1px high, orange horizontal rule may make for a pleasing effect.
    - Jamie Harrop

Is this a template for wordpress or did you actually do the full design? Pretty sweet layout.

jerett,

The design itself is not 100% original however has been modified quite a bit.

Jamie,

I myself agree that it is a tad cluttered still. We have been looking to increase our whitespace quite a bit to make text/font easier to read.

midPeer,

One day I'm sure you will be.

Thank you for the comments everyone, they're appreciated!
    David

The ranking algorithm for webhosts is naive. For example, at the moment JetSet has one review, and ServInt has two. And all three reviews are 100%. Obviously ServInt should be ranked above JetSet, yet it's currently ranked below it. But more importantly, a host with 20 reviews averaging 95% should be ranked higher than a site with two reviews averaging 100%, because the number of reviews is very important. You can find something positive on almost any webhost by searching webhostingtalk.com, even if many people had bad experiences. That's why it's important not to trust just a few reviews.

Therefore, your algorithm needs to take into account the number of reviews when determining the overall score for a webhost.

EDIT: I realize scoring them is not nearly as good as simply reading all reviews, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

CCGame,

We agree and our next system in development essentially does not publicly rank those with less than a certain number of reviews.

The threshold will be based on the average number of reviews per host.
    There's several other feedback systems currently in development for hosts to respond to reviews as well -- that way not all of the reviews are just one-sided!
    David

Very Nice.

Webdesign 2.0 style.

Only suggestion would be to get a new logo done.
    -= Manish Gori =-
    Gif banner designer
    Flash Banner Designer