Pair Reliability? any alternatives?

Yes, it seems I may need to prepare myself to move away from pair after hosting with them for nearly two years or so. When I had joined it was best thing I had done and support resolution/response used to be around +/- 2/3 hours, with detailed informative replies which could resolve the problem within one reply from support

now back to Jan 2007 things are different, my tickets are not answered for 24/48 hours...when I get a reply I am asked basic question do u use a Database? which server...after that wait for another 12-48 to get a reply server loads DB loads are normal we do not see any issues etc. I have opened around 5 tickets in last month or so for DB/access issues and have not yet received any resolution. This is not for a busy site, but for a new VBulletin Forum site which I am developing and I am the only user

I am writing this not because I have any grudges against Pair but just to let people know thats whats happening at Pair recently.

Now back to my issue, I am in deep trouble, if I decide to leave Pair, whom I go with? Are there any host which match Pair (old) reputation and quality ?

wow...I've been perusing these forums for at leats a month now trying to decide on a host (I've got the time so I can afford to wait and be picky) and up until now the ONLY host that seemed to have an utterly spotless record of support/uptime was Pair.

Other than price there were never any complaints.

and now...

For the OP, I'd take a look at hosts that specialize in application hosting as they typically have more of an environment that's geared towards database driven sites/applications with dedicated MySQL servers (I don't consider pair in that category specifically, even though they do have dedicated MySQL servers) and other services (i.e. e-mail, web, etc.) seperated out between servers that are dedicated to one task.

What kind of budget are you working with?
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

I took over a website that is hosted on westhost.com
    In the past year, the only down time I know was for about 2 hours last night.

Also, one year on A Small Orange with a different website . No down time to my knowledge.

I do not use a monitoring service, and these websites are not mission-critical.

mripguru, I have seen many large forums hosted at pair w/o any issues and I understand that they may not focused on application hosting kind of thing. But to get DB/access error for an empty forum I think its bit too much and worst no resolution for weeks

Back to your question I am looking for a reliable, long standing host which compares pair in every respect. Currently I am considering FutureQuest. My budget is max $20 for upto 1GB disk/20-25GB BW (I am working on a photo community)

Quote Originally Posted by pingme97
    mripguru, I have seen many large forums hosted at pair w/o any issues and I understand that they may not focused on application hosting kind of thing. But to get DB/access error for an empty forum I think its bit too much and worst no resolution for weeks
    I agree with you 100% - however, your experience may be different at a host that is specifically geared for application hosting rather than as a general host (which tends to pack more customers on per server, thus decreasing overall performance and opens the door for issues like this to crop up).
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Im also in a search for a new reliable quality web host and have done lots of research on the internet and by email questioning of a few web hosts. Two which definitely stand out for my needs are FutureQuest and Fluid Hosting. Pair was in the running, but good as they are in most areas, the recent support issues are enough for me to drop them from consideration. FutureQuest will probably be my final choice actually, but I dont have to decide for a couple more weeks.

If you want reliable be expected to pay for it.

Steadfast.net is very reliable but you're not going to get 1000 GB for $5 from them.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

now back to Jan 2007 things are different, my tickets are not answered for 24/48 hours...when I get a reply I am asked basic question do u use a Database? which server...after that wait for another 12-48 to get a reply server loads DB loads are normal we do not see any issues etc. I have opened around 5 tickets in last month or so for DB/access issues and have not yet received any resolution. This is not for a busy site, but for a new VBulletin Forum site which I am developing and I am the only user

Im a little baffled by this as well Im not sure if Pair offers phone support but maybe you would get further if you tried calling. I think Kevin from pair frequents here sometimes. Maybe he would be able to assist.
    Best of luck.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by chuckworld
    wow...I've been perusing these forums for at leats a month now trying to decide on a host (I've got the time so I can afford to wait and be picky) and up until now the ONLY host that seemed to have an utterly spotless record of support/uptime was Pair.

Other than price there were never any complaints.

and now...
    I don't think every bad review of a host is fair. Some people some problems and they just find it easy blaming the host. But one bad review of a big company is nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by mohamoud
    I don't think every bad review of a host is fair. Some people some problems and they just find it easy blaming the host. But one bad review of a big company is nothing to worry about.

You are absolutely right. but please note my experience is based on at problems I experienced for last 3 months...and when you see a consistently deterioting quality of support specially for big host it could either be a false alarm or a signal of something worse around the corner.

If you searched with my username, I am raising alarm on WHT regarding their support quality for quite a long time now....still I am with Pair as I still beleive that its a good comapny and can sort out these things

pingme, weren't you on here a couple of months ago complaining about server loads? I helped investigate and resolve that, but you didn't seem satisfied. As I mentioned in another thread, I am not aware of any "deterioration" in support response, and I hope you're not just insinuating. If you have specific concerns or tickets that I can assist with, please contact me.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin, I do not remember reporting server load may be some one else.

About my problem, my main concern was ticket getting unanswered for 48 hrs problem not getting resolved after opening up 5 tickets.

Now its too late, I closed Pair account and have moved the site to a new host...

Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    pingme, weren't you on here a couple of months ago complaining about server loads? I helped investigate and resolve that, but you didn't seem satisfied. As I mentioned in another thread, I am not aware of any "deterioration" in support response, and I hope you're not just insinuating. If you have specific concerns or tickets that I can assist with, please contact me.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin, I do not remember reporting server load may be some one else.

About my problem, my main concern was ticket getting unanswered for 48 hrs problem not getting resolved after opening up 5 tickets.

Now its too late, I closed Pair account and have moved the site to a new host...
    pingme, can you drop me a note on here or offline ([email protected])? I just want to make sure that I'm matching you up with the correct customer information and ticket history.

Thanks,
    Kevin

sorry for delay, sent all the details by pm

Quote Originally Posted by sigma
    pingme, can you drop me a note on here or offline ([email protected])? I just want to make sure that I'm matching you up with the correct customer information and ticket history.

Thanks,
    Kevin