hostgator confuse me

i have a 10gb account with hostgator and the space i use fluctuates between 4 and 9gb depending on if i have a backup awaiting download.

Hostgator have decided they are going to upgrade everyones storages by ten times what they have...

so i will have a 100gb account with 2000gb transfer within the next few months.

So what does that mean for their dedicated server offerings which i was planning to upgrade to within the next month or so?

The server i was going to move to costs $174.00 a month... and for that you get 80gb of storage and 1500gb of transfer.

When, for $10 a month i can have 100gb of storage and 2000gb of transfer?

I know you actually have your own server and the performance will be a bit quicker.... but to be fair this site is run by a group of youth and all that geeky stuff isnt very interesting as long as our sites working. You get me?

We have a 19gb unsigned music archive we currently cannot keep on the internet because of space restrictions, and about 4 or 5 mailing lists that we could move to our account after our transfer limit increases.... so we will be absolutley rinsing what they are actually offering, so i guess what im asking is will we actually be allowed to use what your say we can or have you turned into another host like ******?

I ask this publically because this thread will come in handy if this is bluff.

I know you actually have your own server and the performance will be a bit quicker.... but to be fair this site is run by a group of youth and all that geeky stuff isnt very interesting as long as our sites working. You get me?
    Performance will be more than a bit quicker, it will be A LOT quicker! Also, HostGator will provide you more space and bandwidth, but you will still hit a peak with resource usage and they'll end up suspending your site...

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Performance will be more than a bit quicker, it will be A LOT quicker! Also, HostGator will provide you more space and bandwidth, but you will still hit a peak with resource usage and they'll end up suspending your site...
    The reason why the performance will be a LOT quicker is because you will be the only person on the server as oposed to shared hosting.
    I've been using HostGator for 38 months.. and it's been awesome.
    Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

If your only concern was that you were running out of space, then, you shouldn't upgrade to a dedicated server yet since the new plans will give you plenty of space (that's IMO).

However, I suggest you to contact to HG about the mailing lists, that may be a source of problems on the future.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Some hosts have a # of emails you can send out per hour or day - this is a question HG could answer for you. They may also have restrictions on what you can use your space for (e.g. mp3 files, videos etc may incur a traffic limit).
    Matthew - Burton Hosting
    low cost shared, reseller, VPS & dedicated solutions for over five years - we've got what you need.
    http://www.burtonhosting.com
    http://www.getmesupport.com - server monitoring service for all!

The biggest difference with dedicated is that you won't get booted when you use up all promised resources
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Compared to being on server with scsi drives using RAID?

I doubt there will be any performance increases on a dedicated -- high quality shared boxes compared to low quality dedicateds -- well, they just don't compare.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodeba

Hostgator have decided they are going to upgrade everyones storages by ten times what they have...
    So HG are joining the overselling club! i personally think this is a bad move if its true.
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Almost everyone is in the overselling club, including our friendly local phone companies.

Personally, I think the users do this to themselves. So many people ask for 100GB of space, but then they only use a few hundred MB.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Compared to being on server with scsi drives using RAID?

I doubt there will be any performance increases on a dedicated -- high quality shared boxes compared to low quality dedicateds -- well, they just don't compare.
    Agreed, but how many shared hosts today are actually using SCSI drives on a RAID? Most are P4s running on SATA-II drives without RAID that are affordable dedicated boxes. And mostly because everyone wants to hop into the hosting business without much cash to start up. I believe the best way to go would be to buy your own hardware, then you know you're getting good stuff, and not just numbers on a piece of paper.