hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Check this Idea, could be the end of webhosting as wee know!

Forum Jump

Check this Idea, could be the end of webhosting as wee know!

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Check this Idea, could be the end of webhosting as wee know!

Imagine that someone make a virtual HD using p2p where all the users share the same files, this virtual-HD could have 300GB for example.

Then imagine that this users, download an easy to install program where they register and let them work like a small web-mysql-email server reading on the files hosted in the virtual-HD shared by all the users.

wow! have you ever imagine something like this? what do you think could be the problem of this? I'm sure it's very hard to make a real implementation, but reading today about the venice project, this that I tell you now sound very much simple sure? why anyone have make this before?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Junior Guru

well
it does sound interesting
though i didn't fully get it!

plz rexplain

Old 01-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Disabled

Wouldn't everyone have access to your files?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Well, it's obvious that the files are not public for download, only for visit by web, this could be like the skype of hosting perhaps! where every users share the bandwich for all the calls, but you can ear the call of others.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Disabled

IMO, I don't think web hosting will ever follow this path.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Retired Moderator

so every person in the "swarm" would have to all be sharing each others files to make it work, like you host mine, i'll host yours, we'll share bandwidth..

but where would it end, how big would your hard drive have to be to accomodate everyone?

really, seems like something like this could work, but you'd be open to sharing sensitive data, no matter how much you enrypt it.

and i don't see anything like this harming the hosting industry at all, although it could be interesting for a work group or friends who want to carry each others load.

ElectroPopMedia.com

Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Well, industry are not going to there, but telephone industry DIDN'T come to a Voip model and then the Skype team force it, perhaps will emerge some other one developing an idea like this!

The idea behind mediatemple or thegridlayer it's a little similar to this (ok, the business model it's not, but the technology it's), it's only a question of time that some wanna-make-all-free develop something like this.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Retired Moderator

i would not be surprised to see on demand tv through fiber cable with your isp utilizing torrent/swarm technology to feed the data to other subscribers within close proximity who also request that particular show, being fed by faster localized servers, but making use of everyones connection who has the data within a certain range.

ElectroPopMedia.com

Old 01-08-2007, 11:50 PM
& Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisattva
i would not be surprised to see on demand tv through fiber cable with your isp utilizing torrent/swarm technology to feed the data to other subscribers within close proximity who also request that particular show, being fed by faster localized servers, but making use of everyones connection who has the data within a certain range.
To make it worthwhile they'd need to have a big pipe or be on lan. Otherwise there's only so much a single connection can utilize from a user in the first place. So the value of being in 'close proximity' unless over LAN is useless.

I've considered 'swarm' systems previously for a content sharing site.
The end user assisting in content distribution is an excellent backend if done right.

It is definitely not the "end of hosting as we know it" though. Silly thought.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Disabled

The web aspect of your idea reminds me of the Coral p2p CDN: http://www.coralcdn.org

Old 01-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
It is definitely not the "end of hosting as we know it" though.
Agreed. It can be another form of hosting, but it won't replace the need for hosting as it is defined today, just as free hosting or free emails didn't spell the end for their paid counterparts.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
To make it worthwhile they'd need to have a big pipe or be on lan. Otherwise there's only so much a single connection can utilize from a user in the first place. So the value of being in 'close proximity' unless over LAN is useless.
i was only stating close proximity as it could be delegated by "team leader" servers, everyone under that tree is in that specific swarm, say the entire city of so and so, and another city gets their own swarm. proximity was only a method of splitting up the swarms, but i imagine peer sharing could be incorporated easily, just as in the normal torrent protocal.

the technology is already out there with webseeded torrents feeding swarms of thousands pumping out the data to the incomplete peers.

its not uncommon for us to max out our home connection at 1.5 mb/s down, sending out at 150 kb/s. its not fiber, its only nicer cable, but you can see with the fiber internet to come in the not so distant future in most major urban areas, that there is definitely going to be more bandwidth to play with.

on demand video will be the future in some respects. dvr and tivo will fade as it becomes easier to just highlight the show on your cable tv that you want to watch and start viewing it instantly, on the fly, getting your high resolution data pumped to you by the ISP/cable company and the other peers/viewers watching or with their cable box sitting idle.

or maybe i'm just a dreamer. thats a possibility. lol

ElectroPopMedia.com

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
WebHosting.coop Set to Prove a Democratically-Run, Shared Web Hosting Cooperative Can Work Web Hosting News 2013-12-17 12:48:54
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – September 27, 2013 Web Hosting News 2013-09-27 16:53:47
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – January 11, 2013 Web Hosting News 2013-01-14 09:13:30
Jelastic Releases Plugin for Java Development Environment IntelliJ IDEA Web Hosting News 2012-12-05 11:15:46
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – August 24, 2012 Web Hosting News 2012-08-24 16:50:42