Smile Collocated Equipment Insurance - Advice Please?

Over the next year we are working to migrate all of our shared servers from leased dedicated servers to our own collocated equipment. As you can imagine it is a slow process, but we are getting there.

By this next week we will have about ten servers and a couple of switches colo'd. I am thinking it is time we looked at insuring the equipment we have colo'd and get it taken care of before we build up the volume anymore.

Is anyone able to recommend someone we may be able to contact to obtain insurance on our equipment? All of our equipment is at Colo4Dallas, in Dallas, TX split between our rack there and their secure storage room (spare parts, switch, chassis etc.).

I tried contacting our insurance company here in the United Kingdom to see if we could add it on to our office insurance but they became very hesitant when I mentioned the hardware was in Dallas, despite the fact it is probably more secure in the Colo4Dallas data center than our office.

So I guess we would be looking for a US insurance company that specializes in this type of thing. We would be looking to protect against equipment being damaged due to things like power surges, being dropped by a technician etc.

Thanks for your time and any recommendations

- Chris
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

CNA Insurance, through Techinsurance PM me if you need thier contact info.

' We would be looking to protect against equipment being damaged due to things like power surges, being dropped by a technician etc.'
    Add rain/Water damage, as happened at Equinix Chicago last week.

I second techinsurance. It is very difficult to find underwriters that understand our business model.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

The Hartford has a special division dedicated to technology we’ve had good luck with, and they are not even too terribly expensive. We actually use them to insure our data centers, their contents, and etc. up to and including Business Continuance, and lost revenue. We got a pretty good rate, but we’ve got pre-fire detection and dry fire suppression, and we are not at ground level, so they may have brought our particular rate down. I am not sure if that would matter if it was not your facility, but I am surprised your facility doesn’t extend their coverage to your equipment. Ours actually covers the full contents of our data center, infrastructure, and etc. So in the event of some major catastrophe, we’d certainly be able to cover customer equipment, although I don’t know what the law is exactly. I have always assumed if the building burned down and I got the big insurance check I’d certainly owe my customers their share. I can’t imagine NOT paying for customer equipment in that scenario. But I do not know of any specific “renters” type insurance for colocation environments, seems like there should be some though, they have insurance for everything else.
    Premier Voice and Data Services for Discriminating Service Providers:
    Optimized Fastest-Path BGP IP | Wholesale VoIP | Mission Critical Colocation

Thanks for your replies everyone. I have sent you a quick follow-up PM, Dennis
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionDatacom
    Ours actually covers the full contents of our data center, infrastructure, and etc. So in the event of some major catastrophe, wed certainly be able to cover customer equipment, although I dont know what the law is exactly.
    While I am sure their insurance probably does under our contract their liability is fairly limited. I would also feel safer if we had our own insurance too.

- Chris

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

Chris

Try these guys and girls for insurance from a company who understand colo:

Clare Batchelor
    Goss & Co (Insurance Brokers) Ltd
    Voice: +44 (0) 118 955 1845
    Internet: clare.batchelor [at] goss.co.uk
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Thanks for that, Matt

I have sent Clare at Goss an email so shall see what she has to say.

- Chris

Hey,

What ballpark rates are people getting from Tech Insurance? I have 20k in business personal property for my office, 1100 in business personal property for the data center location, and a super stretch technology rider which covers 250k of any computer equipment at my office or in the colo data center. The premium is about 2k/year.

Is that high? What are other people paying -- ballpark.

Just Curious,
    Dave

We have the same plus an additional $250K on top and it's in that ballpark. 2/4 million for general liability.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

I sent Clare at Goss an email after my above post but never got a reply. I may try giving her a call and see if that works better.

- Chris