Question Need help with transfering domain names (specific issues)

Hi,

Okay, so I finally figured out my username/password issues and now I can transfer my two domain names from my crappy/defunct/missing original domain reseller to a new place. But I have specific questions and issues with the two different domain names specfic to each.

Questions:

1. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with namecheap.com, but when I talked to Tucows and they transferred me to their people at domaindirect to help with my issues with my missing reller, that person, of course, recommended using domaindirect.com. Are they any better than namecheap.com? They're more expensive ($15 to register, $12 to transfer; compared to $8.88), but I was wondering if they're more reliable? (One domain I already use with webspace from Earthlink, so I'll need to keep that pointing there, the other is only going to get parked.) I just don't want to end up in the same situation with a new reseller, you know?

2. With the domain name that I'm actually using with my webspace bought from Earthlink, I'll need to have the Name Servers kept the same when I transfer so it still points there. Is there anything special I need to do to ensure this?

3. With the domain name I'm just parking, the Name Servers I guess will need to change to the new reseller, right? (Right now, they're listed as being to the current/gone reseller.) Is there anything I need to do to ensure this?

4. I noticed that on Namecheap.com, it says when transferring a domain name: "Regulations also prohibit transferring domains that will expire within 7 days. So, please transfer early to avoid this problem." But my domiain I'll be parking expired on Dec. 30 (because I couldn't contact my reseller). However, the person I spoke with at domaindirect via Tucows said that I should have no problem transferring the domain and it shouldn't cost me any extra besides the cost of transferring. Am I going to run into any problems?

5. If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you want to be?

Thanks for the help! I'm hoping to get the expired one transfered today asap, so any immediate help is greatly apprecaited!

1. First off, DomainDirect and Tucows are the same people. They actually have the same address if you notice that.

2. Secondly, nameservers will remain unchanged when you transfer between registrars.

3. If your meaning of parking is "doing nothing", then it doesn't really matter.

4. Tucows is the most transfer away friendly registrar, and they allow that even AFTER EXPIRY. Some registrars are notorious in disallowing even up to 2 or 3 weeks ahead. So be careful who you are dealing with.

5. I want to be a lemon tree.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave
    4. Tucows is the most transfer away friendly registrar, and they allow that even AFTER EXPIRY. Some registrars are notorious in disallowing even up to 2 or 3 weeks ahead. So be careful who you are dealing with.
    Hmmm... I see that namecheap.com says on their site "Regulations also prohibit transferring domains that will expire within 7 days. So, please transfer early to avoid this problem." -- so I'm guessing this means I wouldn't be allowed to transfer to them, eh?

Also, what is your opinion of Tucows vs. namecheap? (I'd have no problem transferring my other domain name to either, since it doesn't expire until May, and you do get more stuff with namecheap, like the free whois masking thing...) Thoughts?

Lemon tree -- nice choice!

I'd pay the extra few dollars and use them because of their affil with Tucows.
    Then I'd transfer them when they come due next year to GoDaddy or another
    reliable Registra.
    ICANN says you need to transfer a domain before it expires, however if it
    expires on say the 8th and you put in for the transfer the 7th as long as the
    owning Registra recieves the request by the expiration date it's good.
    Some Registras have their own set of rules tho!

Yes, I agree that last minute transfer is risky to say the least. By going with another Tucows reseller, you rid yourself of that. Actually it takes less than a minute for transfer between Tucows resellers (and no auth code is needed).
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomcounty
    Hi,
    ... But my domiain I'll be parking expired on Dec. 30 (because I couldn't contact my reseller). However, the person I spoke with at domaindirect via Tucows said that I should have no problem transferring the domain and it shouldn't cost me any extra besides the cost of transferring. Am I going to run into any problems?

... I'm hoping to get the expired one transfered today asap, so any immediate help is greatly apprecaited!

I would suggest you:
    1. renew your domains where they are,
    2. after 45 days transfer them to your new resistrar.

This will avoid:
    1. conflict with you as owner and the registration renewals,
    2. after 45 days you will gain an extra year when transferred.

Remember, you DO NOT what your domains to be deleted and end up in auction. You risk loosing them.
    The Best To You!
    Ireland - Networking the Irish / Celtic Community
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

Yes, I agree that last minute transfer is risky to say the least. By going with another Tucows reseller, you rid yourself of that. Actually it takes less than a minute for transfer between Tucows resellers (and no auth code is needed).
    That's what I'd recommend also, stay with the Tucows crew because of the
    old domain Registra problum.

Usually any transfer takes about 4 to 5 days.
    You request it, get email authorizing it and have to add the Authorization code
    on most and send it back.
    Then you get an email from the Registra it's at saying you have 72 hours to
    reply if you don't want the transfer to take place, if there's no reply the transfer goes through.
    I think that 72 hour delay to respond is also an ICANN rule but I wouldn't swear to it.
    Last edited by ChiTown; 01-09-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireland
    I would suggest you:
    1. renew your domains where they are,
    2. after 45 days transfer them to your new resistrar.

This will avoid:
    1. conflict with you as owner and the registration renewals,
    2. after 45 days you will gain an extra year when transferred.

Remember, you DO NOT what your domains to be deleted and end up in auction. You risk loosing them.
    Actually it's an ICANN rule of 60 days.
    But there's no sense in Transfering it again till it's expiration date
    is coming up..

Last edited by ChiTown; 01-09-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Here read the TOS from Domaindirect and there's also links to the ICANN
    rules on different TLDs..
    Domaindirect mentions a grace period for expired domains but doesn't give any times..
    http://domaindirect.com/agreement.html

well i dont want to be a tree in the first place
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi