Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Proposed advertising forums layout [UPDATE: They're no longer proposed. They're live]

We'd like to revamp the advertising forums to make it easier for members to find what they're looking for and to submit threads to where they'd get targeted readers.

Here's what we have outlined.
    Advertising Forums

Web Hosting Offers
    Shared Hosting Offers
    Reseller Hosting Offers
    Dedicated Hosting Offers
    Colo Hosting Offers
    VPS Hosting Offers
    Other Hosting Offers (Game Servers / VOIP / Related)

Domain Names Advertising
    Domain Name Offers
    Domain Name Requests
    Domain Name with Web Site Offers
    Domain Name with Web Site Requests
    Domain Name Appraisals

Employment Offers and Requests
    Employment Offers
    Employment Requests
    Systems Management Offers
    Systems Management Requests

Design Offers and Requests
    Design Offers
    Design Requests

Related Offers and Requests
    Other Hosting Related Offers
    Other Hosting Related Requests
    Advertising Offers
    Advertising Requests
    Software and Scripts Offers
    Software and Scripts Requests
    Other Offers and Requests

Free Hosting Offers and Requests (link to fWHT)

Community Reviews
    Web Site Reviews
    Other Reviews

Industry Announcements
    Hosting Industry Announcements
    Providers and Network Outages and Updates
    Comments?
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 01-12-2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Split Shared/Reseller
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

That would be much better

Yeah, the new outlook looks fine, not much difference from the previous one though

Reviews and Industry Announcements coming under the advertising forum?

Though I do like the new layout.
    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    not much difference from the previous one though
    It breaks the ads into more specific categories.

If anyone wants to comment on why they like or don't like the proposed new layout or aspects of it, that feedback would be useful.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Lpal-Jay
    Reviews and Industry Announcements coming under the advertising forum?
    That's where they are now. If we allowed members to discuss their sites in the main forums, a lot of those posts would be ads of sorts. Where they are now, some are ad-like and some are not, but we can allow both.

Lois

Design Offers and Requests
    Design Offers
    Design Requests
    Will this be the same as the "Templates/Graphics" advertising forums now? When I first read "Design" I initially thought it would be advertising requests and offers for Web design *and* development related products. The current "Templates" wording seems to describe exactly what the forum is for. I'm not really sure of a good middle ground, but I guess I wanted to mention it as food for thought.

Free Hosting Offers and Requests (link to fWHT)
    Will there be any kind of notice to alert members to the fact they are entering a different Web site? That would make sense, imo.

Employment Offers
    Employment Requests
    I like this divison. It is a must

I like it. It should get some more attention to those forums that not many people look in, and help to organize things a little more.

I do have one concern though; do we really have enough offers and requests to merit a separate forum for some categories? For example, are there enough Employment Offers and Requests for each to have a separate category? Although it's nice to get more ad time, we might have the problem of a thread sticking around on the front page for a very long time (making stickies a bit useless). Perhaps some of the offers and requests categories could be combined, until it was later deemed necessary to have separate categories?

Also, it looks like the advertising section will have a lot more forums, which may seem daunting for someone trying to find something. Then again, the new categories seem much clearer than before, and it will hopefully be easier for people to find the right forum to request something or look for an offer.

Alex

The only problem I can see is that what constitutes a design? I have a design that's in .PSD but I need it sliced. Would it go under employment, or would it go under design since it's still technically a design?

One thing I would (personally) would want changed is the domain w/ site. I believe this would become very popular. If we "hide" in it the middle of other subforums, I thin it would get overlooked more easily. I think sticking it at the very end would be a good idea.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

That was my line of thought too Tyler. There seems to be a little grey ground with the wording and the way it is split up. Like I said before, I can't offer a solution because I don't have one. I'm beginning to think design and coding jobs should be combined, but I also see potential problems with that.

Oh and Tyler, I'm pretty sure your example would go in Employment, but I can see people getting confused and "throwing the papers in the air" and putting it in the first forum they click on because they can't be bothered to work out where it should go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    The only problem I can see is that what constitutes a design? I have a design that's in .PSD but I need it sliced. Would it go under employment, or would it go under design since it's still technically a design?
    Perhaps a design could be limited to the straight design of a logo or template (.psd, .ai, whatever other formats are used), and coding would go under employment? If there was a sticky or announcement in the design forum that talked about coding, most people would get the message, and for the ones that didn't... well.. we can't let you mods be doin' nothing all day.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    Anything design related would go there. Employment would be all the other stuff.

I don't think outages should be in the advertising forums. Additionally, I don't think the threads should be started by the hosts, but only their users.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    I don't think outages should be in the advertising forums.
    I'd agree with that.
    Additionally, I don't think the threads should be started by the hosts, but only their users.
    Hmmm, not sure about that.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

I think a host should be allowed to reply to the thread, but not create the thread. By creating interest, they are in a sense advertising.

We have no problem with a thread started by a host about a possible problem. How is it advertising? Hosts wouldn't normally "advertise" that is going to be downtime. But the thread is there if a heap come in and say "is xyz down?"

That is also why that section is in the advertising forum

looks good to me
    I'm not sure why you'd want to separate
    systems management offers
    systems management requests
    Maybe make them one forum, instead of two
    System Management offers and requests
    I see the reason for separating those from the pack, but not giving requests and offers their own forums.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    I see the reason for separating those from the pack, but not giving requests and offers their own forums.
    These are only *proposed* changes, which is why we are asking for member feedback

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    These are only *proposed* changes, which is why we are asking for member feedback
    And I was only giving feedback, not criticizing
    Seriously though, I like it, will split things up a bit, maybe (maybe) clean the ad forums up. It'll take some getting used to, and of course mean more $$ for iNet (not that this is bad) , more forums, etc. Looks good though!
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

I also like it. It seems like it would be more cleaned up and easier to search if it was done this way.
    Ryan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    We're considering separating them because when people use the forum, they're looking for one or the other. Having them separated would save people time when looking. OTOH, separating them would have some drawbacks. We're looking at both ways, and we haven't made a decision yet.

Lois

Whynot give Game Server Hosting its own category. Separate it from VOIP?

Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar
    Whynot give Game Server Hosting its own category. Separate it from VOIP?
    There aren't really enough game server ads or VOIP ads to fill a forum. I have a feeling that that forum will be dominated primarily by game server ads though.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    There aren't really enough game server ads or VOIP ads to fill a forum. I have a feeling that that forum will be dominated primarily by game server ads though.

Alex
    We're adding those categories to the Main Forums as well. We just haven't decided if they'll be separate categories there either yet.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast