Can common sense become a rule?

I've been a member & parasite of WHT for several years now. During those years I have enjoyed & loved the community 'as it is'.

Recently I have ran into some trouble with people utilizing the rules to badger one and another. I understand that the rule systems are in place to prevent abuse but can there be some semblance of common sense added to the mix?

All of the moderators I've chatted with are quite selfless: Hours of effort are put into the community & it's appreciated!

I'm not expecting exceptions to be made but when someone reports another for containing latin in their signature it's just a tad far. The phrase I had within the signature is a well known one (Simply meant 'patience is a virtue', in essence) and should not have been offensive to a single soul.

I know I've tended reported people with 5 line, multiple color signatures all the time -- I can be anal too! I just think there needs to be some semblance of common sense, discretion and maybe even some leeway.

The rules are in place to keep the community intact & stop folks from abusing each other (whether it be cursing or an affiliate ad) -- I just know I've been around awhile (as have many others) and damaging this community is the last thing I would want to do.

Honest!

I'm not expecting exceptions to be made but when someone reports another for containing latin in their signature it's just a tad far.
    Common sense would tell me not to put something in my signature that is against the rules.

All publicly displayed messages are limited to the English language. This includes posts, titles, signatures, and any attachments or other forms of public display.
    I dont see whats so hard about that.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    ... can there be some semblance of common sense added to the mix?
    Common sense has been a rule forever.

The basic ground rules for discussions on WebHostingTalk are simple: be polite, use common sense, don't break the law and don't post any message that even hints at advertising.
    I just think there needs to be some semblance of common sense, discretion and maybe even some leeway.
    I think there is.

damaging this community is the last thing I would want to do
    Thank you for your consideration.

You can help by setting good examples.

I don't think everyone knows Latin. As such, if you have it in your signature, why can't someone else have Greek in theirs? Or Chinese? Hey! They're common phrases in their countries!

The phrase you mentioned is not common enough to expect everyone to know it.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.