server load and mysql question

There is a problem with mysql and server load. Some how mysql usage is going to over 100, but server load is not increasing, but it is crashing more often.

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
    5931 mysql 16 0 111m 20m 3888 S 71 2.1 10488:45 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/ --datadir=/var

What could cause the problem? I did mysqladmin pr and only 2 database connections are existing.

Hi,

Also, I did memory check and here is the output.

free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 992 929 63 0 195 409

Is this acceptable?

On a busy database server, the memory usage looks normal.

Have you tried installing mytop to see the queries that are currently being run? It's a good chance it's a runaway query stuck in a loop or something if your site isn't that busy.

Dan

Mytop is not installed now. Can we able to check using any mysql command? Also, is this normal memory usage or can we upgrade it to 2 GB ram?

Use either mysql command or if it does not works try mysql -p then enter mysql root password and then use command status to show the summary of mysql connections.

For high mysql usage you need to tweek mysql settings

increase mysql_cache_size in /etc/my.cnf and restart mysql service. Also it will be much better to hire some tech who can better look into the issue.

Regards
    Cloud Hosting
    ~ Shared Cpanel Hosting, Cpanel Reseller, Business Cloud Hosting, SSD Cpanel Reseller Hosting ~