View Poll Results: Display advertising forums post counts in user profiles?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Display the advertising forums post counts. Yes.

82 58.16%
  • No. Do not display the advertising forums post counts. No.

59 41.84%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Posts are still counted wherever you post them. If you click on any member's username and choose "Find all posts by [username]," all posts by that member will be displayed. Look for "Showing results 1 to 25 of XXX." That number is just one click away.

Some people have said that post count aids in credibility. Which number do you find more useful: a total post count of 65, or a displayed post count of 13? If a member posted only the required 10 posts to be able to advertise and then posted almost exclusively in the advertising forums, I find that to be useful information. It doesn't mean that the member is bad, just that he's here pretty well only to advertise.

When the post count shows all posts, you have search for a member's posts in specific forums to get that information. But with the post count display not including the advertising forums, that information is immediately clear. And the combined post count is also very easy to see.

Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by writespeak
    just that he's here pretty well only to advertise.
    Anything wrong with that? Members who only advertise are still members.

Quote Originally Posted by writespeak
    Posts are still counted wherever you post them. If you click on any member's username and choose "Find all posts by [username]," all posts by that member will be displayed. Look for "Showing results 1 to 25 of XXX." That number is just one click away.
    Exactly, there's only one post count, a count of all posts. If some people are so keen on how many of those are ad forum posts, how many not, then make a page which shows that, make that number one click away.

It's just wrong logic IMO.

I say "YES." Not because post count actually matters but because I do not want to set a precident of changing things "just because."

If you're going to make certain forums not count, it would make more sense to not count the Lounge (or to not count those as well) since neither the lounge nor the advertising forums are a real contribution to the community as it pertains to the topic of hosting.

I like it the way it is. Post count seems to give people here a false sense of trust. I have seen many people say "I decided to with company x because YYY and they had a lot of contributions"..

You see people joining and reaching 1,000 posts within a couple of months by posting useless things like "Yes I agree" or "Thank you for sharing", just to increase post count.

I voted no

You see people joining and reaching 1,000 posts within a couple of months by posting useless things like "Yes I agree" or "Thank you for sharing", just to increase post count.
    That's where looking at their posts and their history comes into play. Of course, if someone's been here 2 months with 1k posts, there's some sort of a problem
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    Exactly, there's only one post count, a count of all posts. If some people are so keen on how many of those are ad forum posts, how many not, then make a page which shows that, make that number one click away.

It's just wrong logic IMO.
    Out of curiousity, what made you decide to come out and support this position now? Ever since you've been a member, there has always been at least one forum that doesn't contribute to post count, including the old Gmail forum, the New Members forum and (I think - I'm not going to go post there just to test it) the Social Issues forum.

I'll check again, but I don't believe I've ever heard you speak out on this over the past 2-1/2 years. I'm just curious why it suddenly became an issue for you that all posts should count now, and not before? Has it been "wrong logic" this whole time, and you've been burying it deep inside you? Is there another reason why all of a sudden this is so wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff
    I say "YES." Not because post count actually matters but because I do not want to set a precident of changing things "just because."
    FYI, there was no "just because" about this. The decision to do this has been weighed, discussed and tested publicly and privately for more than a year-and-a-half now. As a result, we've had less moderating issues within the advertising forums (easily the heaviest area for moderators), were able to lift a rule or two, and disingenuous posting no longer exists, because there's no more motivation for it. There's no "just because" involved

If you're going to make certain forums not count, it would make more sense to not count the Lounge (or to not count those as well) since neither the lounge nor the advertising forums are a real contribution to the community as it pertains to the topic of hosting.
    I agree! Same goes for this Announcements forum! I think they should be cut here as well. That's the spirit
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Wink

I'm afraid to even comment on such a touchy subject.

Out of curiousity, what made you decide to come out and support this position now?
    I know that the question is not to me, but I discovered the reason

http://webhostingtalk.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=22

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    Out of curiousity, what made you decide to come out and support this position now? Ever since you've been a member, there has always been at least one forum that doesn't contribute to post count, including the old Gmail forum, the New Members forum and (I think - I'm not going to go post there just to test it) the Social Issues forum.
    Honestly? The reason I speak out on the subject is really because of the type of people who are supporting the "No" on the poll. Mods & co. Trying to offer my different view.

Plans to discount posts, plans to make people pay for advertisements, then so on and so on it will go on.

The other reason is as linuxcares so kindly suggested It may be a joke to some of you but if I made 400 more posts I would like the forum to state it. Is that too much to ask?

I didn't know there were forums that don't count all this time.

But as somebody mentioned it's probably not a subject worth such a big hassle over. But I just think it's wrong

What is refreshing in this little study is that the majority don't seem to care that they lost 90-100% of their posts. We have had dozens contact the helpdesk and via PM who wondered what happened to their postcount. I don't recall one of them respond (after an explanation), with negative thoughts. Maybe two of all that number have posted in this thread.

Have a look at these gems
    OOOH, at one point lounge posts weren't counted either? Good granny, THAT sounds fun . Can we go back to them good old days?
    heh

Honestly? The reason I speak out on the subject is really because of the type of people who are supporting the "No" on the poll. Mods & co. Trying to offer my different view.
    I hope you don't view it as a bad thing that us moderators are wanting our opinions heard

As Paul said, the change to the advertising forums has positive affects for us - so we're darn well going to make sure our thoughts on that are known
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon
    I hope you don't view it as a bad thing that us moderators are wanting our opinions heard

As Paul said, the change to the advertising forums has positive affects for us - so we're darn well going to make sure our thoughts on that are known
    Yup! We are members also, but it has certainly cut down on the "nice design", "sounds good" "contact me" "PM sent" type posts.

@linux-tech

Honestly? The reason I speak out on the subject is really because of the type of people who are supporting the "No" on the poll. Mods & co.
    I take that as affirmation that it has eased the workload of moderators (one of the intended goals).
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

100 lost here :-/

@The Engine

I see you posted a new template sale and concluded in <9 hours later. I guess this change in policy hasn't impacted how you use the forums or how effective they are, eh? If the change keeps less scrupulous members more honest, makes moderating easier and doesn't impact your ability to use the forums, what's the beef?

Nice sale there, BTW!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Ok, fair enough, if it cuts moderators workload that's good for you guys That is a valid reason.

Well no, I guess it doesn't really change my way of posting or participating.. Now I don't know why I posted in this thread. Probably to increase my post count.

I still think it's more logically correct to show all posts though!

Ok, fair enough, if it cuts moderators workload that's good for you guys That is a valid reason.
    In a perfect world, moderators don't have to handle community abuse or rule-breaking. A true moderator is someone who helps guide conversations and participates in the growth of a community in a highly proactive way.

Unfortunately, with the amount of community abuse that takes place, WHT moderators have to be WHT police; the least desirable aspect of our position becomes the most prominent. The less we have to deal with petty rule breaking, the more we can participate in discussions like regular community members, and the better off the community will be for it. It's really a winning proposition for everyone

Well, it looks like "Display post count" is winning

Well, it looks like "Display post count" is winning
    Yep. Fortunately the logic behind it isn't

Wait....
    Logic???? WHT?????
    The two typically don't go together well.
    Is it really Monday?

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    Is it really Monday?
    Nope. it is Tuesday!

The logic is pretty clear. First you want to do this to the advertising forums. Soon thereafter someone suggests removing the post count from say the lounge, and it will just keep snowballing as various folks decide that a certain forum "isn't contributing."

No real good will come out of this aside from the 45% or so who don't participate in the advertising forums taking pride out of the "non-contributors" no longer having a significant post count.

The reason no one complains after asking about it is that they're afraid of being banned for contempt.

The reason no one complains after asking about it is that they're afraid of being banned for contempt.
    How many do you see complaining in this thread that are banned for "contempt"

They don't complain because they aren't worried about it. I haven't seen anyone yet being too scared to have a rant about something that upset him/her.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast