View Poll Results: Display advertising forums post counts in user profiles?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Display the advertising forums post counts. Yes.

82 58.16%
  • No. Do not display the advertising forums post counts. No.

59 41.84%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    LOL... I thought I got punished for going on vacation for the holidays....
    Alternatively, I figured I drank too much and could not really remember my real post count. Thank goodness for this thread!

It's not a matter of life and death but I say keep the count for the members that contribute to the advertising forums while moderating the post count of spammers there.

Cheers.
    Host, YES!
    Reselling? Partner for profit instead!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    The current poll status (15:13) shows that the right-wing (we ) will win with greatest majority. C'mon guys!
    I haven't voted yet

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    I think the real question is, has it had any effect on the number of fluff posts in the advertising forums?
    It appears so.

I think one week may be a little early to judge the effectiveness of this. But, from a moderation viewpoint, this seems to have the desired affect.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    I haven't voted yet
    Oops! forget to invite you! C'mon guys n' gals ... feel free to use your valuable rights to POLL

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    Oops! forget to invite you! C'mon guys n' gals ... feel free to use your valuable rights to POLL
    Rights? Rights?
    The only right we have here is to play nice
    The poll is great, but even if the poll turns out one way, and the mods think it best to go another, well, they'll take it that other way, and rightfully so.

If somewthing like this makes THEIR job easier, then, by all means, I'm for it. God knows they don't get paid enough to do this job
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

The poll is great, but even if the poll turns out one way, and the mods think it best to go another, well, they'll take it that other way, and rightfully so.
    May be you are correct. But this thread with the POLL is meant for expressing our thoughts regarding the new rule, so I think we have to participate

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    Anyway, I do support this idea. I also support showing a little tally of which forum the user has the most posts in, and how many posts the user has made there.
    You can use the Search and find all posts by user in a specific forum. A bit time consuming but it works.

Alex

General tendency is simply, those with well over XXXX figures in posts want those post counts gone, so there are less of them.

I think that forum posts should count in *all* forums including advertising forums and social issues.

And, here's why:

Every time we make a post on this forum, we are contributing to the overall value of the community, even if we are advertising. Let's face it...the overall value of a community is based on the number of active members and number of posts.

Also, when a new thread is posted (even in the advertising forums), it displays a variety of different advertising banners for iNetInteractive. And, by posting a new thread, we are essentially creating one more ad space for iNet, even in our own ads.

To top it off: I see more useless posts made in the "WHT Questions" forum than in the advertising forums. I do not think a day goes by where there isn't someone posting a new thread asking "Why can't I post in the advertising forum" with the same answers being given by the same people.

My suggestion: Disable post counts in the "WHT Questions" forum and increase the penalties for members continually posting fluff messages.
    Big things coming soon

My only suggestion which will probably be shot down, blown up, and buried away but none the less - here we go....

Post counts are important and give members a since of importance to the forum. I know the intent is to cut down on some of the redundant post made in some of the forums but in my opinion, those should still be counted. Why punish the whole board of members because of some abuse from a few. There are members that don't know alot about hosting, but enjoy doing social post.

In the long scheme of thing, why change something that worked for so long? I mean, look at the size of your board now and the amount of activity going on. Sure you will always have those few crazy post but it's not really worth it to punish everyone - is it?

NOW - before I get yelled out - I honestly don't really care which way you go on this. I never really look at post count but I only speak out because I know some do and enjoy having that there.
    Last edited by jerett; 01-09-2007 at 02:31 PM.

In the long scheme of thing, why change something that worked for so long?
    Because it hasn't?
    Just because it appears to work doesn't mean it actually has.
    In this case, individuals are getting rewarded (with post counts) for posting advertisements (which in and of itself is a reward). That's kind of silly.

Let's face - the advertisement area brings more traffic to the site than any other forum. WHT benefit from it as well.

Besides it is a forum and intended for open discussion. If you are going to have a forum for advertising, then it should be counted as involvement if you post an ad.

Otherwise - you might as well ditch sigs too.

Quote Originally Posted by jerett
    Besides it is a forum and intended for open discussion. If you are going to have a forum for advertising, then it should be counted as involvement if you post an ad.
    But then how do you solve the problem of people posting fluff? Posting an ad is definitely involvement (your offering a service for WHT members or looking for a service from one of them), but how many ads do people post? Chances are if you've been here more than a year you have about a thousand posts, and what will 200 or 300 out of those 1,000 matter? I think it's worth losing a few numbers on my post count to keep people from posting junk in the ad forums that the mods have to then spend extra time cleaning out, not to mention the annoyance for those of us who want to browse an ad free of "fluff" or those who are having their ads trashed.

Alex

Let's face - the advertisement area brings more traffic to the site than any other forum.
    Ok, prove it. You let the cat out of the bag, you went somewhere, so prove it. If you can't, don't be making statements such as this.
    PLENTY of other forums get just as many views, stir up just as much discussion as the ad forums.

If you are going to have a forum for advertising, then it should be counted as involvement if you post an ad.
    Involvement is not posting something to benefit you and only you. Involvement is posting something that will benefit the entire community. Say a tutorial, or helping someone out with a problem. Involvement is NOT posting something that does nothing but provide you with more advertisement, giving nothing back to the community. THAT detracts from the community, it does not give back.

Linux-Tech - you make a strong point as have everyone else on this topic. I was merely throwing out my opinion to this argument to see what others thought.

I see your side of the coin and believe in the big scheme of it all, your correct. I honestly don't lean to one side or the other because I personally think post counts are pointless - but then again - that needs to be left for me and Dr. Phil to discuss.

I support what ever decision WHT makes and feel that above all, they see the bigger picture of this discussion and if they need to make such changes to better the board and make their task a bit easier so they can focus on more pressing matters, then Da'Gum brothers and sisters, go for it.

Linux-Tech I love you man but you really need to simmer down some. It's all good and healthy here.

A post is a post... I don't understand why it matters where it is.

I've lost over 100 considering I'm using WHT more like I use eBay.

Exclamation

If this helps the mods, then it's a good thing. It's that simple. I mod my own forums which the most popular one isn't even .01% as busy as WHT and I consider it more work than I want. You couldn't pay me enough to mod WHT.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Every time we make a post on this forum, we are contributing to the overall value of the community, even if we are advertising.
    Though it's not the main basis for my contention the new way is better, I do have to disagree with you here.

Advertising posts by their nature are meant to benefit the poster, not the community. They are agenda-driven posts. There's nothing wrong with this, but I highly disagree that these are inherently just as valuable as discussions meant to inform an entire community. Advertising posts enhance a member or group of members' agendas. Main forum posts enhance the knowledge base available to the community. The two are not equally important.

In this case, individuals are getting rewarded (with post counts) for posting advertisements (which in and of itself is a reward). That's kind of silly.
    That's (sorta) what I'm saying

My suggestion: Disable post counts in the "WHT Questions" forum and increase the penalties for members continually posting fluff messages.
    I'm 100% in agreement here too
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Posts are post, if it is something useless then the post can be reduced. anyhow i did not loose that much around 50 - 100, i do not know the exact.

Why should they be removed, building WHT's marketplace is a positive thing, allot of forums are around building marketplaces and they bring in lots of traffic. I admit that I make allot of posts there, but I honestly think that it increases the vlaue of WHT as well.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't remember how many posts I had before (anyone know please PM me it so i can complain about loosing a few ) but overal I think it's a good idea as I know I have made "that's a nice template" style posts before...even to really ugly templates
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

overal I think it's a good idea as I know I have made "that's a nice template" style posts before..[.even to really ugly templates
    So, you was the guy who created those fluff posts

Any idea when we can be expecting a decision?

I already voted and posted my opinion, but I recently came across a forum that didn't use any post count at all and thought it might be relevant here. They used a voting system where members gave each other positive/negative reviews and from there the member was calulated a "reputation value." I don't know how hard it would be to implement let alone manage so this could all be moot, but I thought it created a community spirt that encouraged meaningful posts of relevent on topic material. Just a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    Like it the way it is. It allows me to reach 2,000 once again!
    agreed, enable post count

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast