View Poll Results: Display advertising forums post counts in user profiles?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Display the advertising forums post counts. Yes.

82 58.16%
  • No. Do not display the advertising forums post counts. No.

59 41.84%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Wouldn't it make sense to prune the advertising forums to have no posts over 7 days old. Since the post don't count and the ads are only intended to function for one week why waste resources on storing old posts.

why waste resources on storing old posts.
    Historical value, enough said there.
    Members of WHT aren't always honest, and sometimes these archives are needed to refer to things.

you have to watch every lil thing you say, how it can be interpreted by the mods. if ya dont watch it you can participate yourself right into a ban.
    Hardly. This may have been true in the past, but I've yet to see this here recently. Disagree with the mods all you like, providing you do it RESPECTFULLY, and you'll be fine. Of course you have to "watch what you say", this is nothing new or surprising ANYWHERE. Hell, you don't watch what you say in the wrong place, you'll find yourself dead.

The point is play nice. There's nothing wrong with playing nice. If you disagree, so what, don't start an all out war because you disagree.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by Xtot
    Will the pole have influence ? Because it seems like the change has been made before the voting has ended
    A previous poll done long before the change was made indicated a overwhelming majority of support for this move. This is the second poll.

Regardless, the poll has much less influence on final decisions than good reasoning, and given the number of benefits we've seen as a result (read through the thread - the list of benefits increases regularly), it is going to take some very strong reasoning to overturn this, I believe. Right now, the benefits to the community and the moderators vastly outweigh the negatives, which appear to be much more individual versus affecting the community as a whole.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    A previous poll done long before the change was made indicated a overwhelming majority of support for this move. This is the second poll.

Regardless, the poll has much less influence on final decisions than good reasoning, and given the number of benefits we've seen as a result (read through the thread - the list of benefits increases regularly), it is going to take some very strong reasoning to overturn this, I believe. Right now, the benefits to the community and the moderators vastly outweigh the negatives, which appear to be much more individual versus affecting the community as a whole.
    Everything looks sweet and you have explained it in a very neat & professional way. Personally, I don't see any extra points to argue to keep the post counts active in advertising sections.

Is there any easy way to see the number of posts we have "contributed" in every forums?

Click your username, 'find all posts by user', then look at the top - should say 'Showing results 1 to 25 of XXXX'. The XXXX being your total number of posts
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon
    Click your username, 'find all posts by user', then look at the top - should say 'Showing results 1 to 25 of XXXX'. The XXXX being your total number of posts
    That is not the one I wanted to know. Is there any way to see the total number of posts created by a user in each & every forums, like

Programming Discussion - 10
    Domain Name Forum - 1

etc. etc. If there is such an option available, we can understand where a particular user is concentrated more. I noticed some mods telling such kinda mathematics Just curious, thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    That is not the one I wanted to know. Is there any way to see the total number of posts created by a user in each & every forums, like

Programming Discussion - 10
    Domain Name Forum - 1

etc. etc. If there is such an option available, we can understand where a particular user is concentrated more. I noticed some mods telling such kinda mathematics Just curious, thats all.
    I could tell you it's a super-secret moderator only tool... but I'd be lying Search -> Advanced Search

Enter someones username, then select the forums you want to get figures from (SHIFT / Control click to select multiple forums at once).
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

I could tell you it's a super-secret moderator only tool... but I'd be lying Search -> Advanced Search

Enter someones username, then select the forums you want to get figures from (SHIFT / Control click to select multiple forums at once).
    Awesome

by the number of votes casted in this poll it seems like most of the members are either not aware of it or they are least bothered what ever happens
    AKDesigner
    We Design Your Dreams
    ---------------------

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm

Well then there's absolutely no point to this thread at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    If after the week, if people had decided it had been a really really bad idea , then the poll might have been 500 for "restore post counts" and 20 for "no post counts".

That would hold more value (imo) – it’d be a clear showing that people don't like it. The fact we have 100 votes roughly split between the two indicates there aren't any large problems, and the lack of any good arguments to restore the previous system just further compound the issue.

We can’t predict the future unfortunately. Whether a poll is useful or not really depends on the result, and that is up to the WHT members not us
    Alasdair

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine
    Sure there's a point! This thread is the opportunity for members to present reasons why this is a bad idea, to be weighed against the benefits. It just so happens the reasons presented have been very weak in comparison, but let's not fault Dennis for allowing members the opportunity!

Give compelling reasons that outweighs the benefits, and the decision gets overturned. Don't, and the decision gets validated. Either way, a very good purpose has been served
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    It's been a whole week since we've removed posts made in the advertising forums from profiles.

What's everyone's thoughts now?
    Thoughts? It's important to YOU so YOU are going to do it anyway. Who cares.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by PSFServers
    Thoughts? It's important to YOU so YOU are going to do it anyway. Who cares.
    I think Paul (the_pm) explained it quite nicely. The thread was an opportunity for the community to review the decision and comment on it - arguments have been presented on boths sides, and the arguments for reversing the change simply aren't good enough to outweigh the benefits.
    Alasdair

I think Paul (the_pm) explained it quite nicely. The thread was an opportunity for the community to review the decision and comment on it - arguments have been presented on boths sides, and the arguments for reversing the change simply aren't good enough to outweigh the benefits.
    Well nicely explained or not, if you remove the 14 WHT Liaisons, Community Leaders, Moderators, or what ever you want to call yourselves from the poll....Then the TRUE numbers become an overwhelming 2:1 Majority.

Fine, don't listen to your customers when OUR opinion is 2:1 in protest to the change.

Fine, don't listen to your customers when OUR opinion is 2:1 in protest to the change.
    Hardly
    More like 1.25:1, but nowhere NEAR 2:1 . 2:1 would be 100+ votes

We (the posters) are not "customers" of iNet, we have no obligation to them, they have no obligation to us. Simply because less than 1% of the users voted in this poll does not mean that iNet (in this case the mods, representing iNet) are obligated to follow the results of this.

This is not a democracy, this is a dictatorship, albeit benevolent. Keep this in mind when you submit your opinions, and submit them respectfully .

iNet isn't obligated to post a poll. They (again, the mods on behalf of iNet) posted said poll to get the user feedback of it. This doesn't mean that they're obligated in any way, shape or form to follow what the poll says.

At the end of the day, it's not about anything but what makes the mods life easier. A forum this size is a pain in the *** to moderate, and ALL efforts should be taken by the users to assist them in any way possible. Challenging them in such a rude fashion (yes, you were rude) isn't helping the situation, it's hurting it, and causing more work to have to be done by the mods.

They're just a few posts, hell, nothing worth getting all excited over at all!
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech
    Hardly
    More like 1.25:1, but nowhere NEAR 2:1 . 2:1 would be 100+ votes

This is not a democracy, this is a dictatorship, albeit benevolent. Keep this in mind when you submit your opinions, and submit them respectfully .

Challenging them in such a rude fashion (yes, you were rude) isn't helping the situation, it's hurting it, and causing more work to have to be done by the mods.

They're just a few posts, hell, nothing worth getting all excited over at all!
    Get your math right, subtract the 14 people from the poll from WHT and you have 63:36 which is a 1.8:1 margin in protest of the change, while I called it a 2:1 margin.

And lord knows how the further poll was skewed and tainted by having every WHT person jump on the bandwagon in some kind of pity for the moderation complexity.

I look the top of my screen and over to the right of my screen every day and see paid advertisements. If these people don't like doing a job, then they should quit and go get one somewhere else.

RUDE, or not, that is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by RayWomack; 02-16-2007 at 10:40 PM.

I look the top of my screen and over to the right of my screen every day and see paid advertisements. If these people don't like doing a job, then they should quit and go get one somewhere else.
    The moderators don't see a dime of advertising dollars, or any money at all, for that matter. We're volunteers. I voted against postcounts in the ad forums only partly because of reduced moderation, but more because it cuts down on the junk that's posted in general. When there's no postcount reward, the members that were doing it just for that reason go elsewhere, making it easier to find actual offers without sifting through it all.
    Just my opinion, and I'm sticking with that. ')
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

I guess I'm far late on this debate, but correct me if I'm wrong, you can only post one offer in 7 Days anyway?

Secondly, I think if somebody was looking to purposly inflate post counts, they could post that WHT infamous phrase, "WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?".

I just think that the correlation between post counts/junk in offers forums has any weight. I do however, see tons of unhelpful and unneeded posts just everywhere.

For instance http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...86#post4368186

Hey, I'm just a humble visitor here. I have spoken now, and will respectfully allow others to speak. My point has been made to my satisfaction.

I do however, see tons of unhelpful and unneeded posts just everywhere.
    We've managed to eliminate a tremendous amount of junk, save moderators wasted times and fostered a more honest posting environment within the advertising forums. These three benefits are undeniable (read through this thread for substantiation), amongst others, which came out in regular intervals throughout the thread.

If you're seeing bad posts elsewhere, please report them. A change in how advertising posts are counted isn't going to clean up problems everywhere, but let's not throw away all the progress we've made in the advertising section because there are still problems in the general forums.

I don't work for iNet, and you're not my customer. I'm a member, just like everyone else, who was given a little extra responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by PSFServers
    I guess I'm far late on this debate, but correct me if I'm wrong, you can only post one offer in 7 Days anyway?
    It wasn't to do with people posting threads; it was people commenting on existing threads - either asking pointless questions or making pointless comments - to bump up their post count. We could literally watch new users sign up and go on a pointless posting spree in the ad forums to get their 10 posts. Multiply that by dozens of new users, and some moderators were spending an awful lot of time cleaning that stuff up. As there's now no reward for people to post things in an advertising thread unless they are truly interested, that's cut down the number of posts we're having to remove, and means we can spend more time elsewhere on WHT

Sure, there are still problems elsewhere on WHT - but, fluff in the main forums is often much easier to see, and all it takes is a quick five seconds for you or someone else to click the 'report post' button
    Alasdair

Thank you the_pm and tickledon for giving very good and thoughtful replies to the issue; I respect you for that. I see your argument more clearly.

Ray

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567