View Poll Results: Display advertising forums post counts in user profiles?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Display the advertising forums post counts. Yes.

82 58.16%
  • No. Do not display the advertising forums post counts. No.

59 41.84%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Advertising Forums post counts update [Revisited]

It's been a whole week since we've removed posts made in the advertising forums from profiles.

What's everyone's thoughts now?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Personally, I don't like removing the post counts. (I lose around 200 posts )

Hope you will give it back.

I'm fine with it.

But see the current poll status, 100% love to display the advertising forum post counts

Poll hasn't closed yet

I have no objections to losing somewhere over 2000

Personally, I don't like removing the post counts. (I lose around 200 posts )
    Waaaah, Try losing 700+

Personally, I'm all for things to stay as they are right now.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Over 1,040 lost here...and with 4 votes, the poll is neck and neck...
    ..off to stuff the ballot box...

Talking

I voted no but I wish they had the option: "you have me confused with someone who gives a darn"
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

It doesnt matter for me

Quote Originally Posted by catfished
    I voted no but I wish they had the option: "you have me confused with someone who gives a darn"
    But you voted Yes.

There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

All posts should be counted as posts.

G
    PutFile.io — Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    But you voted Yes.

I thought everyone already knew I was
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Beyond loosing a post count' it dpesn't effect things including user titles people have already earnt and stops some spamming.
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Like it the way it is. It allows me to reach 2,000 once again!
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

I've worked on some very large forums both public and private. I only mention this to in order to say I have some personal experience on this topic. On each and every forum we eliminated ALL post counts, but kept titles and join dates as a way to lend SOME validity to the poster's experience. We did try to keep post counts by setting a minimum reply length, there by eliminating useless posts like: Yes, I agree, Welcome etc... After much debate the Admins and Mods finally agreed that post counts truely served nothing but ego and sometimes lent to much legitimacy to the posters responce e.g. a noob would see a responce from someone with a high post count and assume he/she must be right.

Seriously can someone here name one benefit that I would gain by knowing you posted 10000 times as oppossed to 10, keep in mind we left the titles and join dates. The question is earnest and not meant as flame bait. As a negative effect I see people posting useless info just to get their post count higher. Actually replying here, and other threads, in order to get my post count beyond 10. The difference with my posts are that I spent time finding threads I could truely contribut to.

Seriously can someone here name one benefit that I would gain by knowing you posted 10000 times as oppossed to 10
    In many cases, it can mean a life/death thing as far as experience:
    Would you rather work with a programmer who has 10 posts or one who has 1000? Personally, I'd deal with the one who has 1000, providing, of course that those 1000 were valid posts.

Post counts are a very valid first impression. That's not saying they're the ONLY thing that can be used for this, but they are a decent first impression.

me neither.... i had all my posts there, so now i have only one T-T it isnt that it doesnt count....

On that topic I would argue that member titles serve the same purpose as post counts, but don't promote post abuse as much. On smaller forums this isn't such a big deal, but when your looking at 500 or more posts a day your eating up more CPU cycles, ram, hard drive space for current data bases as well as archives. Concerning who I'd rather work with, a member with 1000 or 10 posts, to me that variable is moot. I'm new here and have less than 10 posts, but I've been working in the computing services area for more than 15 years and have numerious degrees in CS and EE. I'm sure many members here have similar skills and qualifications with lowish post counts. I'm just as sure there are members with very high post counts that ask more questions than they are able to helpfully answer correctly.

Side note:

Certs, Post-Grad, BS, BA, Associate degrees should also be taken with a grain of salt. Several of my friends have graduated with advance degrees in CS, but are unable to go much beyond writing a script to say "Hello World." So using the preceding as an example if I would assume that person could at least half-azz code based on their degree/s, I might very well be wrong.

On that topic I would argue that member titles serve the same purpose as post counts, but don't promote post abuse as much.
    Hardly
    Member titles do nothing here, they're simply decorations. 500 posts (what it takes to get a custom title) can be easily obtained, or not so easily obtained. Hiding post counts isn't the answer, getting people to actually CONTRIBUTE to the community is.

I haven't really noticed any change in myself, I feel the same as I did when we had post counts.

I didn't even notice when post counts were removed... the only thing it does is mess up the "Congratulations, you have (insert # of posts here)" thread a bit.

Alex

I think the real question is, has it had any effect on the number of fluff posts in the advertising forums? Honestly, in a decision like this, I think whether or not it has eased the workload of the moderators in the advertising forums is more important than whether or not members want to see their post count increase. The latter is of course a concern, but the moderators have to come first imo.

I want my 400 posts back

At least you didn't lose your custom title. I almost had mine during the last big strikedown when they decided lounge posts didn't count. Right then, I lost out big time. Then they decided to bring them back, and i was all happy and such.

Anyway, I do support this idea. I also support showing a little tally of which forum the user has the most posts in, and how many posts the user has made there.

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    I'm fine with it.
    Ditto. ^_^
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

The current poll status (15:13) shows that the right-wing (we ) will win with greatest majority. C'mon guys!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast