Good Web 2.0 style hosting designs?

What web 2.0 charactistics have you guys seen in hosting sites? what sites are a prime example of this? AJAX is one of the particular web 2.0 styles i'm speaking of, but wikipedia defines a web 2.0 style design as :

Technology overview

The complex and evolving technology infrastructure of Web 2.0 includes server-software, content-syndication, messaging-protocols, standards-based browsers with plugins and extensions, and various client-applications. These differing but complementary approaches provide Web 2.0 with information-storage, creation, and dissemination capabilities that go beyond what the public formerly expected of web-sites.

A Web 2.0 website may typically feature a number of the following techniques:

* Ajax-based rich Internet application techniques
    * Non-Ajax-based rich Internet application techniques
    * CSS
    * Syndication and aggregation of data in RSS/Atom
    * Clean and meaningful URLs
    * Extensive use of folksonomies (in the form of tags or tagclouds, for example)
    * Use of wiki software either completely or partially (where partial use may grow to become the complete platform for the site)
    * Weblog publishing
    * Mashups
    * REST or XML Webservice APIs

Many hosting companies are using these techniques on their sites, but I don't think it's a requirement for success. Why do you ask?
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Any host can fill those requirements, because AJAX is a client side feature, it does not depend of your host but of your browser.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Any host can fill those requirements, because AJAX is a client side feature, it does not depend of your host but of your browser.
    That isn't what he asked.
    Read before posting, please.

Ah, gotcha!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

nickn,

If this is what I think it is: Personally I'd recommend going the google route and keeping things 'simple'.

I wouldn't recommend utilizing too much ajaxified things just yet until everyone and their browsers have caught up. The advent of a technology doesn't necessarily mean jump to it: The brand being discussed should definitely get an overhaul but keep it simple!

Something I'd recommend always doing is getting lots of feedback from both users & employees.
    Have every employee sit down & spend 15-20 minutes on the existing site showing you how they would browse it as a perspective client.

What catches their attention the most?
    What types of information do they like and what do they ignore?
    Which aspects of the sales procedure do they find cumbersome?

The employees who deal with the perspective clients daily (e.g. the sales team) would have more insight into the system than anyone else. Everyday they help assist users walk through the order form.

The same applies to the clients. Post a few threads on the forum and get their insight. Launch a few polls:

What parts of the signup procedure did they find the easiest?
    Which part of the existing site do they like?
    Which do they think needs additional work?

Anywho!
    Best of luck with the project
    Last edited by David; 01-08-2007 at 01:28 PM.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

David, very well said, kudos to you. I would also like to stress on the point David has made in terms of getting feedback from users, there's nothing more important.

Quote Originally Posted by nickn
    Because I'm assisting in a redesign and would like to see other web 2.0 charastics in use.
    Is HostGator getting redesigned?

I'd say don't overdo on the AJAX if you plan on using it, keep it simple and compatible.