Newbie needs advice

Hello,

I need to start a web site up and need all the advice I can get. I really have no computer skills and feel like I need to start off with a web host that has a site builder program that is very very easy (idiot proof). 90% of the abbrevations and terms that idicate the features I see on the web host sites are greek to me. So I really need a site builder that can hold my hand and walk me all the way through the process.

As far as my system and needs go my computer's operating system is windows xp and I for right now have dial-up. I figure my web site will max out at about 15 pages and have about 50 pictures on it. I do not understand gb or mb's and how much space that will take up. Also I am uncertain about bandwich. If I have 50 hits a day would that be too much traffic?

When I look at some of the web hosting companys it seem like it should be do able for me. But then I type in some of the host company names (go daddy, startlogic, bizland, ect) on this forum's search box and I see there are some horror stories out there. Any advice on what web host I should go with and packages I should be looking at would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to WHT!

Here are a few steps to get your started in the right direction;

1. Obtain a domain name such as www.yoursitename.com from a reputable domain seller, such as www.godaddy.com

2. Obtain a small hosting package from a smaller web hosting provider, something in the range of 500 Megabytes (MB) of disk storage space, and something to the affect of 10 Gigabytes of Transfer (Bandwidth). Transfer basically means the amount of data your account can serve up to your site's visitors.

3. Have a reasonable budget, something in the range of $4.95 - $7.95 per month for this project, because remember the old adage, "You get what you pay for"

4. Have a talk with the web hosting provider regarding their packages, add on's and things that You may need. The provider should make it reasonably easy for your to understand since you are new to the hosting industry.

5. Check the Uptime (Time online) the provider has, generally speaking, this should be visible on their website (don't just take their word for it).

6. I would personally recommend a service such as paypal, which is free to use to send money to others. Paypal will be able to help you recover your money, if you happen to get ripped off. Paypal is very good to have while on the web.

7. Have fun working on your new site, and enjoy the wonders of it all!!!

Again, welcome to WHT (Web Hosting Talk) and enjoy your stay, as well as good luck with a provider you choose. My best wishes go out to you and your experience with your new website!

Sincerly,
    -Shaun-

Welcome to WHT!
    As far as my system and needs go my computer's operating system is windows xp and I for right now have dial-up.
    Your computer's OS or ISP speed will not conflict with your web hosting account. You can choose Windows or Linux web hosting, depending on your needs.

If I have 50 hits a day would that be too much traffic?
    No, that would not be too much traffic. You should be fine on any starter plan.

So I really need a site builder that can hold my hand and walk me all the way through the process.
    Before signing up, it would be a good idea to contact the web host and ask them for a demo in order for you to get a good idea what kind of a site builder you will be using. There are several site builders that are available which are very good

Any advice on what web host I should go with and packages I should be looking at would be most appreciative.
    Start with your budget. How much can you spend monthly on web hosting? After you have figured that out, you can continue your search.

I would highly recommend doing a search on www.hostsearch.com or www.findmyhosting.com

A good article to help you understand and avoid overselling cheap web hosting companies, http://ultracheaphosts.com - 15 minute read that would save you hours in the future.

Best of luck, and be sure to post a review of the web host you decide to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS_Hosting
    6. I would personally recommend a service such as paypal, which is free to use to send money to others. Paypal will be able to help you recover your money, if you happen to get ripped off. Paypal is very good to have while on the web.
    You should know that PayPal does not provide insurance for intangible items, 99% of the time buyer loses the case because of intangible items.

You should know that PayPal does not provide insurance for intangible items, 99% of the time buyer loses the case because of intangible items.

Well this can be true in some cases, but it's better to have some sorts of precautionairy fall back then none at all. I was able to recover money from a provider that ripped me on a dedicated server. It all depends really on how your case is presented to paypal. Granted, if your sum of money is a low number, chances are you may not get your refund, however most companies would look to settle this then have a dispute opened against them.

You could always get setup by a host with a CMS, basically its a script that you can build your website around using a wysiwyg interface. This maybe cheaper than chosing a host with a website builder feature. Alot of CMS software is also free, search google for 'free CMS scripts'.

There is always horrors story about webhosting provider.

You can take a look at these website for popular and good provider :

bestwebhostingreviews.com
    hosting-review.com
    10-cheapwebhosting.com

But I'm affraid you will need to try them out yourself and see.

a host with a CMS

Have you some idea what you like your site to look like and what functions you want? Do you want blog, news item, article or just an information site? If so Joomla is a good CMS system to have which is "free" and there are a few hoster out there that will have that installed for you.
    Managed VPS - JUSTrackz.com

Your Internet Service provider will more than likely include web space for you to test out your website without dishing out additional money for a 3rd party provider. This will allow you to try your hand at a functional website design and how it will act on the web. Once you're satisfied with your website, look for a provider who specializes in website hosting who can offer you the support you need as you grow.

Good luck, and have fun!
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Thanks so much guys....I really appreciate it! This is such a cool forum and thanks for the warm welcome. I am pumped about learning how to create my own site myself.

I will check out all the links and try to educate myself as much as possible before I deceide on a provider. In my mind I know what I want the site to look like. I will not need to blog or do anything fancy, just post info and pictures with a e-mail address so I can be contacted. I would like to have a link page and if there is enough room maybe a very short video clip. I think 7 or 8 dolllars a month would be fine. Shaun is right I don't want to be sorry over a couple of dollars a month.

Thanks again,
    Mark