Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687

    Domains/hosting non-paid

    Hello,

    One of my clients had been paying me just fine.. his payment was due dec. 27, and i've suspended his reseller account. (jan 3)

    I'm fine that he didn't pay his hosting bill, but I'm worried about 2 domains I registered for him. They were registered with GoDaddy, both completely under my name (registrant,admin,billing,tech). Keep in mind these were pointed to his other server, not the reseller he has with me. (He has both a cPanel and DA reseller)

    If he ends up not paying, what am I going to do with the domains? I surely don't want them.. and I don't think he should get them without payment. We agreed on 9.95 for each, so I'm gonna lose a little less than $20.

    Help?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    State of Disbelief
    Posts
    22,952
    Bill him when they're due. If he doesn't pay, they expire. Let him try to catch them on the other side of redemption/delete?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Bill him when they're due. If he doesn't pay, they expire. Let him try to catch them on the other side of redemption/delete?
    I just registered them in December, but if he doesn't pay, oh well. At least they were just registered for one year. I made the STUPID mistake of purchasing before payment, because he said he would pay in the next invoice.

    I also changed the nameservers on the domains to the default GoDaddy parked nameservers. Maybe he'll pay if they don't work.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    849
    "pointed to his other server" is IMO, a bad idea. On the other had, directing his visitors to your website may not be a bad idea. That's what I'd do.
    | | i write code

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    Yeah, consider this a lesson learned. NEVER purchase domains for a client until you have payment...ever.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    State of Disbelief
    Posts
    22,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailseh
    I just registered them in December, but if he doesn't pay, oh well. At least they were just registered for one year. I made the STUPID mistake of purchasing before payment, because he said he would pay in the next invoice.

    I also changed the nameservers on the domains to the default GoDaddy parked nameservers. Maybe he'll pay if they don't work.
    Ah, I didn't realize he hasn't *ever* paid for them. Invoice, and if he doesn't pay in a short while, park 'em on Sedo. Why should GD get the income, if any?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    100
    we have learn hard lessons.. in UK, people still not "used" to paying thing upfront and especially hosting here are mostly done annually. trying to chase small amount of money is really too costly..

    so now, if they do not pay, the account get switched off in a few days and everything delete within 5 days of switched off.. now they pay promptly or at least they pay up when found the system is off...

    With hosting, it is not like goods, once it used up, there is no redress.. I once had someone asked me whether they can "try out" my system out for a week as they seems to have problem in ftp to their current host and they are not sure what is the matter with the ftp.

    No Pay, No service.
    Managed VPS - JUSTrackz.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    98
    I also had a client sign for a domain hosted on another server. He didn't give me the proper nameservers for the domain to point to or ip's or anything. I emailed him requesting the information. He never emailed me back and I still haven't registered the domain either. He signed up 18th December and I jsut emailed him informing him that his account will be deleted if he doesn't pay for the domain by the 15th.

    I guess I was lucky not registering the domain before payment as I do do that sometimes with clients I know on a bit more of a personal level.
    The most effective way to host your site

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    I got an email this morning.. seems that the domains are his client's and they were mad to see a parking page..

    He has agreed to pay by Friday. I truly hope he does.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    Do NOT unpark the domain or make it live or give him access to it until he pays.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    100
    yep, show me the money...
    Managed VPS - JUSTrackz.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    Do NOT unpark the domain or make it live or give him access to it until he pays.

    --Tina
    Ahh.. seems I hadn't come back to WHT to get some advice.. stupid me. The client says its wrong for me to have moved the domain.. I parked it back on his server already, but if he doesn't pay this friday, I'm going to park it on Sedo, and I'm considering him gone.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    31
    It's "wrong" for you to park it? If you really, truly believe with all of your heart that he's a good guy, you can take his word, but at this point everything he says should be suspicious.

    Remember that online, anybody can be anything they want. From past experiences, I would recommend that you consider every account fradulent until you have seen otherwise.

    I know that seems impersonal, so the general idea is that every thing you do relating to your business has an associated risk. You should consider the risks and find out what you can do to minimize them without seeming shady or cheap yourself.

    Examples:
    - Can I try out your service free?
    If it seems genuine and you want to take the time, provide them with a limited account, monitor it closely, and stop it as soon as you see anything suspicious.
    - Can I pay you next month for hosting now?
    If you really want to do this (meaning you think it's worth the risk), mitigate your risks by offering them a temporary page they can use to preview, limit bandwidth/email/cpu. And, obviously, don't pay for the domain unless you're ok with having a domain you have no use for.

    Note: It's very good that you registered it in your name. Absolutely DO NOT transfer it to their name without receiving payment, otherwise you've pretty much given it to them free.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailseh
    Hello,

    One of my clients had been paying me just fine.. his payment was due dec. 27, and i've suspended his reseller account. (jan 3)

    I'm fine that he didn't pay his hosting bill, but I'm worried about 2 domains I registered for him. They were registered with GoDaddy, both completely under my name (registrant,admin,billing,tech). Keep in mind these were pointed to his other server, not the reseller he has with me. (He has both a cPanel and DA reseller)

    If he ends up not paying, what am I going to do with the domains? I surely don't want them.. and I don't think he should get them without payment. We agreed on 9.95 for each, so I'm gonna lose a little less than $20.

    Help?
    How long have they been registered?

    If under a month, I believe you can cancel them direct with the registar.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailseh
    I parked it back on his server already, but if he doesn't pay this friday, I'm going to park it on Sedo, and I'm considering him gone.
    Hopefully you told your client that deadline. If the client bugs you again, "politely"
    remind him/her of his/her dues and remain firm in your position.

    Should the client start making threats, then tell him/her any further communication
    will be with your attorney. And do keep the threats, if any.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •