Softlayer Network Instability.

Has anyone else been having trouble with softlayer?

I've been monitoring my network on my soflayer server, and have noticed numerous network problems over the last 24 hours.

It's been very stable up till now!

What have you been using on your server to monitor the network, and what has it been indicating to suggest that there are issues?

We have a softlayer server, and I'll be happy to do some checking to see if we are having any issues. I've not noticed any problems until now. Access to the server has been a tad slower than normal today, but I've attributed that to normal network congestion.

Ive been working on my cpanel server on softlayer network for the last 2 days on and off and havent noticed even a hiccup. Im in TN.

Quote Originally Posted by digdugdog
    I've been monitoring my network on my soflayer server, and have noticed numerous network problems over the last 24 hours.
    What problem are you having? Did you contact them?
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

I have two servers at SoftLayer that I monitor remotely, and haven't had a hiccup.

I did have one user say he couldn't access his own site, and then suddenly he could, so there might have been a temporary routing issue somewhere outside SoftLayer.

I have a server in softlayer that we use for our offsite monitoring, and I have been getting allot of false positives lately, which beleive me is not good waking up to 600 alerts at 4AM. I have been getting these 2-3 times a day for the past month or so. So I did some investigation.

We also maintain a few boxes over in Colo4Dallas, and I loaded up our monitoring system on one of our C4D boxes, kept the notifications on at SL and turned them off at C4D and compared the outages, none of our C4D boxes noticed the outages, which.

After further investigation both C4D and SL took a Internap - ATT - Internap route from Dallas to our facility in Houston, so this lead me to believe its not my bandwidth provider, or anyone in between.

I now run on our C4D box and have not gotten a single false positive now.

I have never noticed a 'true outage' at SL in a while, but these jitters were causing major headaches for us.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

a client of mine has had very slow FTP upload speed from new york over the past 2 days or so, when i tested it, the outbound route from us when over Savvis, and then Level3 to his ISP, rcn. The Level3 route was resulting in 50% packet loss. This may well be your issue
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com

Have a box there, no issues at all. Ping is less than 25ms from FL.

I do think though that softlayer has had lots of problems with abovenet and outblaze. i know at one time on one of my servers half of the workld could not access it and when they would do a tracert it would die at abovenet.

everything seems ok lately though, I know if I ever had a problem Id be putting in a ticket, they got some pretty fast support, you cant complain about that

I've got a custom multi location monitoring system in the UK and West Coast US and not seen any hiccups outside of large outages / planned downtime
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Those of you who are saying "I've not seen any outages," unfortunately that's not very helpful. What routes are you taking inbound, and what routes are you taking outbound? If SoftLayer has multiple routes in and out, and only one route is affected, then others might well have problems that you don't see.

If you aren't seeing problems, what exactly is it that you're not seeing problems with? How are you routing in, and how are you routing out? Name the providers and show the routes.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET)
    Those of you who are saying "I've not seen any outages," unfortunately that's not very helpful. What routes are you taking inbound, and what routes are you taking outbound? If SoftLayer has multiple routes in and out, and only one route is affected, then others might well have problems that you don't see.

If you aren't seeing problems, what exactly is it that you're not seeing problems with? How are you routing in, and how are you routing out? Name the providers and show the routes.

Bailey
    Agreed. Show the data to back it up. [not saying that there are no outages though]

Well, I think I've tracked it down to more DNS problems. I'm relying on their dns servers.

They gave me a couple more dns servers to use, but I'm annoyed this is requiring updates to all my servers with them, seeing how their default configured dns servers aren't working right.

I wouldn't trust their DNS servers just yet. They have had intermittent issues in the past and I think the jury is going to be out for a while on whether they are stable now.

kinda hard to prove that there are NO partial outages dont you think. Far better for those affected to prove there is a partial outtage, since no amount of traceroutes can ever prove there is no partial outtage lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jNive
    kinda hard to prove that there are NO partial outages dont you think. Far better for those affected to prove there is a partial outtage, since no amount of traceroutes can ever prove there is no partial outtage lol.
    No, jNive, what we are asking is for those who are having no problems, to please identify which routes they are using that are supposedly solid.

Then those who are having problems can look at their own routes and see if there are common denominators. If you will note, the people with problems did identify which routes they were having problems on. If the people with no issues were on the same routes, this would suggest it wasn't a network issue, that there was another culprit to blame -- such as the DNS servers.

The key here is that everybody has to communicate details, it's not sufficient to just pop up and say, "well I'm having no problems." That tells us nothing.

This is networking 101, the same data that a data center's techs will ask of their customers when trying to nail down the source of latency/outage reports.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

If the original poster had been specific, he might have elicited specific responses.

Quote Originally Posted by jNive
    a client of mine has had very slow FTP upload speed from new york over the past 2 days or so, when i tested it, the outbound route from us when over Savvis, and then Level3 to his ISP, rcn. The Level3 route was resulting in 50% packet loss. This may well be your issue
    When uploading via FTP, outbound has NOTHING to do with it. Heck, packet loss in a traceroute doesn't even have to do with anything either.

Look at the inbound route, you'll probably find that their ISP has a funky route going in...

For FTP, data is traveling from the USER to SoftLayer, so outbound can be taken out of the equation.

yes i know that, i didnt say it was the cause just that it was there which might be pointing at some other issue. the inbound route the client takes is actually abovenet shock horror which is why id be inclined to believe that the issue was with tcp packet routing on abovenet since he suffered no lag when playing CS on the server however ftp upload was limited to between 1kb/sec and 10kb/sec and frequently timing out, he was using pasv mode, and coming from rcn in new york. i speed tested the ftp at the same time from my other box in new york and got 800kb/sec.

Anyways about the posting details of which routes were seen as clear, thats fine, i took the post up a little wrong,

We have 3 servers currently at SoftLayer and neither my customers or I have noticed a single hickup or slow down. Actually I got an email tody from a new customer stating the speed is incredible.

Kudos to SoftLayer

Well, MY LOGS show numerous outtages ( > 20 in the last week) The latest one was today. They haven't fixed whatever was broke, and the only thing I get from them is "network anomaly that caused intermittent network congestion and that has been fixed." Of course, this has continued and has not been fixed.

It's intermittent, so, of course I can't do a full diagnostic for each failure. This is their job.

Yes I do confirm the outage tonight too. I was out with my girlfriend when I got about 600 alerts, I was like o crap, then you know back to normal. We still have one of our monitoring boxes over at SL, but I am going to start moving it soon.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

This couldn't be directly related to those router upgrades for two reasons. First, they didn't expect any outages, while I was experiencing that. Secondly, my problems happened in the middle of the day, not during the maintenance window. The most recent outtage was at 21:00