What're the big names in this field?

I used LayeredTech and ServerMatrix. They are among the big names, right?
    What're the others?

never heard of ServerMatrix

but softlayer, rackspace ev1server planet they are large ones.

servermatrix is a division of The Planet...yes it is a big one.

Why do you need a big name? a smaller name would do a good job!
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

Big name means less customer loyalty. I would go with a smaller company that offers good customer service.

I don't know if you're just looking for names or actually to secure hosting, but check out Steadfast Networks or GigeNET. They are both excellent providers in the Chicago area.
    Last edited by dgarbus; 01-06-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Isabel Wang from The Whir had an interesting post on this couple days ago. Hope this helps in your search.
    http://www.thewhir.com/blogs/isabel-...keting-Roundup
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

Quote Originally Posted by si2040
    Big name means less customer loyalty....

Congratulations! You've won the "Most Ignorant Comment of the Day" award.

Well done. :/
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

SoftLayer, they are a big name I think but they are still new compared to many of the other big names.

Well, if SL are still a new company/name, I don't think we can consider them as a big name!
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

You know it's funny Layeredtech doesn't get more of a rep in the community. They are doing some great prices and really putting alot of equipment online. On a personal level they are super nice guys over there too.

I do have to agree with the others here. Sure a big name is reassuring but make sure you're not just paying for the big name. Lots of medium and small hosts can offer just as good if not better features than the big guys. I know many of a medium sized host these days that offer IDS, IPS, Firewalling, Remote Reboot, IP KVM, Managed Services, proactive service monitoring and recovery, network backups, etc and include many of these features where the larger hosts now charge for them or just don't offer them.... Why? They're the larger host they can do it and you're going to pay for it. Why? They're a big name and you want to advertise you're hosted on a big name so you can be cool like WHT (bottom left corner ... and I'm not inferring any thing negative about rackspace either, they're a solid hosting company.).

Jess
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Thanks for you all.

I'm looking for a secure hosting with excellent service. Uptime is an important standard to evaluate hosts. A 24-hour breakdown to a profitable website will make up the price difference easily. Big names usually have more servers and more technical engineers ready for support in 24 hours which makes me feel secure.