Where can I learn more about the stock market?

I tried searching Google but I only come across books that you have to buy or other unrelated results. I am interested in getting involved in the stock market with sites like Ameritrade but I have no idea how it works or how to benefit from it. Is there anywhere I can go to learn, or perhaps someone could provide me with tips? Thanks.

I had the same issues. I joined Ameritrade. When I joined I found quite a few tips and articles to learn from..... Be careful, too many people have advices and tips, do not take all for granted, from my own expericence, I found the best was my own research..... One of the two companies I invested in were big recommendations by many analysts...... ( they were Oracle and Rite Aid)
    Rite Aid took me 8 hours of research (going through filters) then I decided it was a good buy, 10 days later it was top 10 by forbes that was late 2005 early 2006, so this might not be the case anymore for these two companies.

One lesson was I bought in Sirius Radio, I got stock in it for a few months, this is where I knew my recommendation was best judgement for my money. everyone has a strategy.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

Thanks for the advice, sorry for the confusion though I am not looking for stock tips on which type of stock to buy. I don't know where to start at all or what anything means. I was wondering if I could learn more about the terminology and what to do. It is probably self explainitory but I just don't know where to begin.

Have you checked out http://www.fool.com/ for some information?

It's been a long time since I've given advice on this to newbies. Fool is good to start. I think they have three or four book recommendation on their site. They have their own book, too.

Brokers cannot help too much or else they can be accused of giving stock advise which can get them into trouble, especially from you if you lose money. So you have to look to outside resources.

There are several different methods of figuring out which stocks to buy and when. Never, ever buy a stock just because you read about it on a forum or the internet or a magazine. And don't buy a stock because it's "hot". Those are all sure fire ways to lose money.

I've tried all the methods and I've done long trading and day trading. I made a ton and lost a ton. You have to discover a method that works best for you and your mindset and learn from your mistakes.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

http://wallstrip.com/theshow/

I like wallstrip. Some of the videos are cheezy but they break down some stocks in really easy to undstand terms. It's a video podcast also. I think the videos by Brian are the best.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

Thanks guys. Just a ballpark figure, but on average for a normal person willing to invest a thousand or so how much could they get in return for some good stock? I know that there are a lot of variables involved but just on average.

Are you in it for the long haul? Of course we have First Data stock and when they split to First Data and Western Union, it has been pretty good still. Having options as well can be useful but a lot of people are not privvy to those. Right now, we probably have 40,000 shares of FDC and 40,000 of WU. We have been hoping that WU does as well as the board hopes on the succession.

Some people want to do a quick buck or hope they land on the next big thing. Sometimes this happens, but most of the time it does not. Being able to be in the market long term will usually pay off for you

on average for a normal person willing to invest a thousand or so how much could they get in return for some good stock?
    It just depends. The average return, over any long run in the stock market, is 8%. But I've had 50% gains in the past but that was just luck. There are no guarantees, no sure things.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

Quote Originally Posted by lexington
    I tried searching Google but I only come across books that you have to buy or other unrelated results. I am interested in getting involved in the stock market with sites like Ameritrade but I have no idea how it works or how to benefit from it. Is there anywhere I can go to learn, or perhaps someone could provide me with tips? Thanks.

Check out investopedia.com
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by lexington
    Thanks guys. Just a ballpark figure, but on average for a normal person willing to invest a thousand or so how much could they get in return for some good stock? I know that there are a lot of variables involved but just on average.
    Last time I invested, I invested 1500 and had a return of 2600 (total, 1100 profit) in a one day trade (purchase at open, sell at close). it's all about who you invest in and how.

I've been doing trades like this with "virtual money" for a few weeks now, I would be around $60,000 about now It's all about who you invest in.

Good luck!
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by RefreshNet
    Last time I invested, I invested 1500 and had a return of 2600 (total, 1100 profit) in a one day trade (purchase at open, sell at close). it's all about who you invest in and how.

Good luck!
    Its called intraday trading. Its very very dangerous and highly I recommend everyone not to get involved in it. I lost good money in intraday. Don't do intraday with your own money or you may get heart attack if you start loosing like crazy. Itraday is pure gambling and should be done only by very experienced traders.