Uptime Guarantees, what do you think?

Hello,

What do you think of uptime guarantees in general? think they are work the page they are written on?

Do you think clients choose your service because your competition doesn't have an uptime guarantee?

Give me your opinions please.

I honestly think that "99.9% Uptime" is the standard. I see it everywhere. I'd like to offer 100% Uptime one day, but that comes in time.
    | | i write code

Quote Originally Posted by UWebSmart
    Do you think clients choose your service because your competition doesn't have an uptime guarantee?
    Of course. There are so many providers in this industry, many offering the same type of service. Would you rather purchase from a company that has a guarantee (and offers credit if it goes below that guarantee), or one that doesn't? Of course you'll go with the one offering an uptime guarantee.

If you do offer a guarantee, make sure you can fulfill it.

Hello,

But if you do offer such a guarantee its a gimmick right, I mean there usually so many terms to the guarantee that its 1. Very hard to get compensation or 2. You get very little back....

Reading this article gave me some great insight but doesn't really go into how well an uptime guarantee really works in practice...

http://whreviews.com/the-uptime-guarantee.htm

But if you do offer such a guarantee its a gimmick right, I mean there usually so many terms to the guarantee that its 1. Very hard to get compensation or 2. You get very little back....
    That's why I said make sure you can fulfill it. You don't want to upset your clients.

If you do it the right way with proper ethics, you have nothing to worry about.

Well, I don’t' see why you shouldn't offer it. It's suppose to make your clients feel more comfortable when signing up with you. Its also a great marketing technique on your website.

Our company offers a 99.99% uptime and if its not met in a given month, the client will get that months of service for FREE. Though we never had encountered that much downtime yet, I always intend to live up to it.

The only big exclusion you want to add is that the uptime guarantee does not go against the "service maintenance or server upgrades etc..". Of course, we do some service maintenance and maybe a reboot or 2 a month.. This shouldn't account against you.

Hello,

I understand the basics of the maths here but what are we taking about in terms of credit to downtime? 99.8% - 99.5 = 10% credit etc?

So about 99.9% would that be like 45 minutes of downtime?

What do you think about a 99.5% uptime guarantee, if website or service is not up 99.5% of the time a full months credit is granted.

Just want to get a grasp on what works and what doesn't based on experience.

I believe it's about 42 minutes or so.

Yes that's about right.

A lot of hosts have 99.9% guaranteed with a double the amount that you paid for it back for the downtime.

Like say you paid $10 for 720 hours uptime and the server went down for 1 hour. it would be $10/720 = 0.138 * 2 = $0.27 refund.
    Last edited by bullfrog; 01-07-2007 at 03:49 PM.
    The most effective way to host your site