I'm looking at installing HSphere on a single server (not the single server license though...too restrictive for later growth).

I'm only going to have about 5 personal sites (all plain HTML), my business site (html or php...haven't decided yet, and a small forum), and possibly 2-3 other small forums, and 1 account that is just used as a small time storage account.

My question is...would one of those low-end $60-75 a month servers be good for this? Speed is moderately important, but right now I'm not planning on starting big business for another 8-12 months...so before then I'm just looking for something that can handle the current customers I have and also allow me to get setup for when i actually do go live.

possibly something like this...or around it

# Cel 1.8 Ghz (while supplies last)
    # 512 GB Ram
    # 80 GB
    # 6 ips
    # 1500 GB monthly bandwidth 10Mbps switch port
    Last edited by sirius; 01-07-2007 at 01:42 PM.

My recommendation, do not use HSphere. For your own websites, find a light control panel that is leaner/simpler. You do not need HSphere build in ticket system, billing, domain registration, etc. CP+ is what we have been recommending/installing for people wanting to host their own website on a dedicated server.

When the time comes, you may think of getting HSphere solution. But if you insist on using HSphere from the beginning, I will recommend getting a server with as much memory as your budget allows. HSphere Control Panel is based on Java and it's quite memory hog. 512 MB memory may not be enough if you plan to host all services: HTTP, HTTP CP, MySQL, PgSQL (for HSphere), DNS, Mail, etc. 2 GB of memory is going to be a big help.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

I'm wanting to use HSphere now because that is what I will be using when the times comes to actually start my hosting biz, i figure getting it now will give me the time to play with it and help me determine how I want to run things when the time comes.

So pretty much what you are saying is that RAM would be important for HSphere, but a low-end Processor should be good?

Quote Originally Posted by irisfire
    I'm wanting to use HSphere now because that is what I will be using when the times comes to actually start my hosting biz, i figure getting it now will give me the time to play with it and help me determine how I want to run things when the time comes.

So pretty much what you are saying is that RAM would be important for HSphere, but a low-end Processor should be good?
    With H-Sphere, the more RAM/CPU you have (especially for a single server config), the better - at least on the CP server. You might be able to skimp out a little bit on secondary webservers.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

thanks for the info guys, guess I'll get a mid-grade server, something like a p4 3.0 HT, 2 gigs ram be ok you think?

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    My recommendation, do not use HSphere. For your own websites, find a light control panel that is leaner/simpler. You do not need HSphere build in ticket system, billing, domain registration, etc. CP+ is what we have been recommending/installing for people wanting to host their own website on a dedicated server.

When the time comes, you may think of getting HSphere solution. But if you insist on using HSphere from the beginning, I will recommend getting a server with as much memory as your budget allows. HSphere Control Panel is based on Java and it's quite memory hog. 512 MB memory may not be enough if you plan to host all services: HTTP, HTTP CP, MySQL, PgSQL (for HSphere), DNS, Mail, etc. 2 GB of memory is going to be a big help.
    I don't think I'd recommend CP+. To the best of my knowledge it really doesn't aid in the conversion to H-Sphere in the future (unless they make a converter as a new feature [which I doubt they will]). If you wanted to use a lightweight control panel, DirectAdmin makes more sense.

Another option if starting out on H-Sphere, is to look at a VDC - http://www.cartikahosting.com/cluste...uster-Hosting/ less resources are required as you won't be running the CP or the DNS servers. But you'd still get the same scalability and be able to go all the way to a full cluster when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by irisfire
    thanks for the info guys, guess I'll get a mid-grade server, something like a p4 3.0 HT, 2 gigs ram be ok you think?
    IMHO - should be fine. However, you might as well go Dual Core instead of HT since there's not much difference in price.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

my goal right now is to stay low on the price...if I wanted to spend $300 a month right now, I'd just get 2-3 low end servers and cluster them myself. Thanks for the info though

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    I don't think I'd recommend CP+. To the best of my knowledge it really doesn't aid in the conversion to H-Sphere in the future (unless they make a converter as a new feature [which I doubt they will]). If you wanted to use a lightweight control panel, DirectAdmin makes more sense.

Another option if starting out on H-Sphere, is to look at a VDC - http://www.cartikahosting.com/cluste...uster-Hosting/ less resources are required as you won't be running the CP or the DNS servers. But you'd still get the same scalability and be able to go all the way to a full cluster when necessary.

I use to run hsphere on a single P4 3.0/2gb unit and it was quite good and will make a decent control panel server in the future, however if you can I would recommend going dual core opteron/P4.

tip: Make sure you set the services up on different ip's for easy of moving them in the future to other machines.

LARGE TIP: Have a professional firm install hsphere for you, like dynamic.net or psoft themselves. It is best to have a solid foundation.

I was planning on probably installing it myself first, playing with it, then getting it professionally installed by whoever I choose to manage the server cluster...but not gonna do that for a good bit closer to when I actually launch.

Thanks a bunch everyone, you've been a great help

also, before I get the server...i was looking to get a hsphere reseller account to play with...anyone have a good recommendation for who to chose price wise?

I will only be using it to test functionality...no real clients or sites will go on it...so support really isn't a super big deal...just as long as they are decently support minded...price is more what I'm looking for on this account.

Greetings:

For under 10 to 20 sites, it is often more cost effective to be a reseller of a provider than to try to be your own provider. Though the latter will help you grow in knowledge and ability.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

well said. I started out with a dedicated server and have never used/owned a reseller account simply for the fact that I wanted to learn the day to day operations of running a dedicated unit.

If you have the money for a dedicated and it isn't going to be put the clamps on your wallet, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AvailNetworks
    LARGE TIP: Have a professional firm install hsphere for you, like dynamic.net or psoft themselves. It is best to have a solid foundation.

With the new installer, it is fairly easy and a lot less "menacing" than the old way of installation. If you follow the directions, you should be able to install it yourself without any issues. Be sure to prepare the server the way psot specifies or you could run into problems.
    http://www.psoft.net/HSdocumentation...g_servers.html

Hsphere SSE might also be a good route for you to go. It has most of the features of regular hsphere with out the cost per user.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_M
    Hsphere SSE might also be a good route for you to go. It has most of the features of regular hsphere with out the cost per user.
    IIRC, the OP didn't want to use SSE because it would be too restrictive for future growth. However, as a testing platform - it might not be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    IIRC, the OP didn't want to use SSE because it would be too restrictive for future growth. However, as a testing platform - it might not be a bad idea.

What is restrictive about it? It is very easy to take it to the next level and go fully clustered. It would be easier to go fully clustered from SSE than it would from any other scenario.
    http://www.psoft.net/HSdocumentation...S_version.html
    Last edited by Chris_M; 01-10-2007 at 02:39 PM.

What is restrictive about it? It is very easy to take it to the next level and go fully clustered. It would be easier to go fully clustered from SSE than it would from any other scenario.
    SSE = Single Server Edition, meaning no clustered services (unless I'm missing something and there's a way to convert to the traditional licensing scheme).

Check my last post, I edited it to reflect how easy it is to upgrade.

Check my last post, I edited it to reflect how easy it is to upgrade.
    Ah . Thanks for that - that's new then it seems (since the revision date on that psoft document is December 26th).

As far as I know, that feature was in SSE from the begining.

Hello Chris,

Yes, Jonathan is mistaken here - that was available from the start, it is simply a license conversion to the full release, which enables clustering, etc...

Having said this, the sudden financial impact can be dramatic from going from hsphere SSE to the full release, and as such, many clients would choose the full release from the start if they plan on eventually clustering.

For example, hsphere SSE allows for an unlimited account license on a single server install. If a client has 400-500 small accounts on that server, then needs to upgrade to the full version and begin clustering, they no longer are required to pay the monthly hsphere SSE fee, however, they would need to purchase 400-500 licences and upgrade to the full release.

This is the only scenario where I see it beneficial to begin with the full release vs the hsphere SSE release (which is really targetting the single server install market)
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

My question is...would one of those low-end $60-75 a month servers be good for this? Speed is moderately important, but right now I'm not planning on starting big business for another 8-12 months...so before then I'm just looking for something that can handle the current customers I have and also allow me to get setup for when i actually do go live.
    Hello, if you do not require any management services, then pretty much any self dedicated server provider would be able to accomodate you - which would obviously decrease your costs.

If you are only planning on hosting a few domains, then I would certainly opt for the full release of hsphere right from the start, vs the SSE edition. However, scalability is not the issue, the issue is with licensing costs. H-Sphere SSE will cost you $40-$50/month, where as the licenses for the full release will cost you $3-$4/license (account). We have customers using hsphere strictly for its clustering capabilities and they have 5+ servers in their cluster and are only paying a 1 time fee for a 25 pack license (and arent using more then 4 or 5 licenses)

*Edit - to add to others comments on hardware, the more is better for a CP server also containing all other services, however, a PIV with 1-2GB of RAM will certainly do the trick if you are only hosting a few accounts - and depending on their usage, should still give you room to grow... However, as dynamicnet indicated, you would probably be better off starting in a reseller environment.

Hope this helps...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

That's the exact reason I don't want to have SSE...the $50 a month fee, i'd rather just buy the licenses when i need them rather than paying a monthly fee on top of the server.

I actually do have a reseller account already, looking to get a server too so I can learn the environment for when i get big enough to need my own server

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    Hello, if you do not require any management services, then pretty much any self dedicated server provider would be able to accomodate you - which would obviously decrease your costs.

If you are only planning on hosting a few domains, then I would certainly opt for the full release of hsphere right from the start, vs the SSE edition. However, scalability is not the issue, the issue is with licensing costs. H-Sphere SSE will cost you $40-$50/month, where as the licenses for the full release will cost you $3-$4/license (account). We have customers using hsphere strictly for its clustering capabilities and they have 5+ servers in their cluster and are only paying a 1 time fee for a 25 pack license (and arent using more then 4 or 5 licenses)

*Edit - to add to others comments on hardware, the more is better for a CP server also containing all other services, however, a PIV with 1-2GB of RAM will certainly do the trick if you are only hosting a few accounts - and depending on their usage, should still give you room to grow... However, as dynamicnet indicated, you would probably be better off starting in a reseller environment.

Hope this helps...

Hi irisfire,

any self managed/unmanaged server provider would work in this scenario

I actually do have a reseller account already, looking to get a server too so I can learn the environment for when i get big enough to need my own server
    and when combined with the 1 time license fee for a 25 pack, your total cost of ownership would be quite low. However, if you plan on going into full scale production mode with this server and eventual cluster, I would make sure you have the required hsphere admin services in house, or go with a provider that is able to offer you proactive management services for your install.

Hsphere is awesome - no doubt about that - however, where it has failed for people is when they do not have access to adequate management services.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your project - oh, and welcome to hsphere
    www.cartika.com

right now I'm just gonna get the server so I can learn the basics...i in no way will overestimate the skills I don't have...in 8-12 months when I actually start I will be getting a 'real' hsphere server manager for me ...i tried the hosting thing once...and it was a complete disaster...that's why this time i've spent almost 2 years doing my research

thanks for the help , and the welcome