View Poll Results: How much would you pay per hour to have a bespoke script developed?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 - 10 per hour

2 14.29%
  • 11 - 20 per hour

4 28.57%
  • 21 - 30 per hour

1 7.14%
  • 31 - 40 per hour

3 21.43%
  • 41 - 50 per hour

0 0%
  • 51 - 60 per hour

1 7.14%
  • 61 - 70 per hour

0 0%
  • 70+ per hour

3 21.43%

How much would you pay per hour to have a bespoke script developed?

Hi people,

I am writing a Business Plan and the results of this poll will be part of my Market Research, so if you could answer honestly it would be appreciated

Please choose the hourly rate that you would pay to have a bespoke script developed in PHP, ASP, Javascript, etc...

Thanks
    Last edited by scott_1989uk; 01-07-2007 at 09:14 AM.

By the way, just incase you didn't know - Bespoke means custom...

For example:
    You can get a bespoke forum created from scratch or you can use vBulletin or IPB or w/e you want.

the question somehow is vague. i personally woul pay US$10-20 for a script, no longer than 50 lines of code.

Yeah... depends on the complexity of the script

This question is much like asking, "how long is a piece of string". I find the price per hour is totally irrelevant, you have to account for the time it is going to take for the developer to complete the task.

For example who is cheaper, the $10 per/hr developer or the $50 per/hr developer?

Generally the better developer charges a higher rate but can produce the end product much more competently and faster. It may only take the $50 per/hr developer 2 hours to do the task, but the cheaper $10 per/hr developer takes 12 hours to do the job.

lets remember

When you hire someone, the person must be profficient on the language. There must be a way on how to estimate the fair value for an X script. Somebody has some experiences paying for a script?

Personally, I would rather pay a developer by the job instead of by the hour. For mission critical applications, I would also pay a little more and hire a few developers to work together on the project. The more people who see the code the more likely someone is to spot a bug or security hole. The complexity of the script and the language in which it is written also come in to consideration. There are too many variables to come up with a single, fully correct answer to this question.