Question Best plan of action.

Hi everbody,

Ive nearly finished creating a PHP/MySQL site (wont reveal what it does exactly until its up) and i dont know how to go about the next step.

In my application, a single PHP page makes about 10 queries and im expecting between 2k and 5k unique hits daily, so that would mean i would need a high 'max_connections' in the MySQL database. It wont be hosting any video/media files or anything, so storage wont be THAT important and i guess bandwidth will be relatively low. Now the question, as the site and visitors naturally grow do I..

A= start off on a shared hosting plan, and then move to a dedicated plan when the time comes? OR

B= start off dedicated and avoid the hassle of changing host/plan?

What route shall i take and what hosts would you recommend (im thinking MediaTemple for the long term, or even Rackspace if it grows extremely and GoDaddy/DreamHost for begging part ??) Anyway I appreciate any help, thank you!

I would start off with a shared plan, and as your site grows and gets bigger and bigger move from step to step. First step would be shared then maybe a vps, and then finally a dedicated hosting option. If you stick within a cpanel based hosting system the backup and moving of the site wont be a big deal as cpanel has a great system for handling this. best of luck in your endeavor!
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

I would rather say, start of VPS and then move to Dedicated as you grow bigger and more resources will be needed.

Just my 2 cents worth.

You'd be best off starting on a vps in my opinion. Most reputable places won't have a hard time adding more resources to your VPS once you need them. Once you outgrow a vps, it's off to a dedicated for you.
    -DPI
    Chicago's #1 Datacenter Technician

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GDavis
    Hi everbody,

Ive nearly finished creating a PHP/MySQL site (wont reveal what it does exactly until its up) and i dont know how to go about the next step.

In my application, a single PHP page makes about 10 queries and im expecting between 2k and 5k unique hits daily, so that would mean i would need a high 'max_connections' in the MySQL database. It wont be hosting any video/media files or anything, so storage wont be THAT important and i guess bandwidth will be relatively low. Now the question, as the site and visitors naturally grow do I..

A= start off on a shared hosting plan, and then move to a dedicated plan when the time comes? OR

B= start off dedicated and avoid the hassle of changing host/plan?

What route shall i take and what hosts would you recommend (im thinking MediaTemple for the long term, or even Rackspace if it grows extremely and GoDaddy/DreamHost for begging part ??) Anyway I appreciate any help, thank you!
    Unless those are short queries and doesn't hold the connection for too long, and you meant 2k-5k are hits (not visitors), shared hosting would work definitely.

The first year of DreamHost is really cheap.
    And there is even 97 days money back guarantee.
    With the SSH capability, you can use huge diskspace of DreamHost as a offsite backup server, if you move up to VPS/dedicated, too.

So, why not trying?
    (Possibly along with a few others to choose the best solution fo you.)

you have not really specified how much you want to spend on hosting... or how much you know about managing servers etc..
    my advice would be to go for shared hosting if you have a low budget as its relatively cheap and you do get most of things you need to run your site.. then according to your future requirements you can upgrade to a vps or a deicated...

B=start off dedicated and avoid the hassle of changing host/plan?
    The upgrade should not be a hassle (note the words "should not" ) and I think you shouldn't pay for something that you don't need (for resources that, for the vast majority, would remain unused). That is why I'm throwing my opinion out there and say that you maybe want to start with a shared account. Best of luck!

Depending on how confident you are on the growth of the site, I would probbably avoid shared hosting, or at very least be careful with who I chose. Alot of shared hosts will cut you off immediately, or with very short notice if your site begins to eat up more resources than their comfortable with. Then everyone will get a "SITE SUSPENDED/CONTACT BILLING/SUPPORT" Message for the next XX hours that it takes to get it resolved. If you really think it'll grow as fast as you say, i would recommend at very minimum a mid quality vps. If not a value level dedicated.

If you do go the VPS route, do what you can to test your VPS after you aquire it. I have had bad luck in the past with the veil of secrecy a VPS provides to the host. Not all VPSs are the same and many will work wonderfully before you. Watch it for a day or two before you move your accounts to it though. Try compiling something or generating load and see how it responds. Once you are confident you have a VPS that will support your site, you should be in good shape.

Certainly as thekiwiproject says.. nor all VPS are equal. So get a managed VPS to start and it will help you to have a stable base to start. Put a load on and see how it perform before you start moving your project across. Most VPS places will do monthly plan, so try them out.
    Managed VPS - JUSTrackz.com