Need advice on a high-usage host

Hi all, as someone who's site made the front page of digg today, was pulled by the host within 25 mins, and which is still offline 4 hours later (they can't do anything to help get the site back online as-is, they did say they could redirect to a static page, but I provided one and have heard nothing back for a while now so I'm ready to throw in the towel), I'm a bit upset.

I'm looking for someone who can handle the digg effect, but isn't a full-blown dedicated server (it's not a particularly bandwidth heavy site, just very popular - and I have another site I'm going to be launching in a week or so which will be equally so), I know the answer is probably here on the boards if I do enough reading, but I've read the first few pages of threads and am really not much better off. Plus I've been putting in 14 hour days for the past two weeks getting the site ready, and at this point (6am) I'm still trying to get help from the support bods - in short, I'm wrecked, stressed out, offline, out of time, and out of ideas.

Can anyone recommend a good host that's not going to utterly shaft me the moment the site gets busy, would put me on a server where I'd have a decent amount of CPU allowance, and which wouldn't force me to go dedicated? Preferably one with a decent support team? You'd be doing me a huge favour.

I would recommend getting a good VPS, knownhost is good about support and good about their vps prices. You may want to check them out. Here is the link:

http://www.knownhost.com

Best of luck with your site!
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by jmcallister
    I would recommend getting a good VPS, knownhost is good about support and good about their vps prices. You may want to check them out. Here is the link:

-snip-

Best of luck with your site!
    Thanks for the quick reply! I did a search on them and they sound great (digging the hand-written xmas cards.

Just signed up for the $40 VPS, thanks again! Maybe I'll get some sleep before the sun comes up after all. (I'd have a smilie here if I had more posts... and here, heheheh)

Ya they do do xmas cards (nice touch IMO).
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions