Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Question Please help, I really need it.

    Hello,

    I have all of my sites hosted under this person - Marvelhost.com (I have reseller account) and I have had problems and unable to make contact for over a week.
    Now the server is completely down and I am losing a lot of money.
    He will not answer emails, and now I can't even send them because of the server being down. All his sites are down also.

    I called the number on the Paypal reciept only to find out it's a kids cell phone.

    I contacted the company he has the server at and they refuse to help me in any way at all. I also contacted his domain registrar and no help.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my sites back?
    I have a lot of money invested in them, not to mention my memberships and paid memberships.

    Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you're in such a position. Unfortunately, unless you made your own backups the only way to "get your sites back" would be to wait and see if the host's servers will come back up.

    However, you may recover some of your money by disputing the charges with PayPal, although I'm not sure if that covers "intangible" services like webhosting.

    Best of luck.
    Rsync server backup / RAID6 Arrays - do you know where your data is? Affordable host backup solutions•

    Server monitoring - are you with HyperSpin? Great same service, better prices•

  3. #3
    The backups were in the roots of each domain on the server.
    So I guess I am totally screwed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    East Coast // NYC
    Posts
    1,693
    Your best bet would be to move your site and hopefully have your customers move theirs as well when they see yours up and running. Sad to say this, but you may have to start over.

    ...the whois is protected...no phone number listed there...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,354
    If you've tried all forms of contact with no luck, then it's time to move on. Their website isn't loading either and putting down a fake number is definitely not the way of doing business. Or that kid might be the guy you're looking for? Who knows...

    I don't think you should waste time waiting. You're losing money like you said so try to find a reputable host asap and get your websites up before you lose any more money. Good luck with everything!
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

  6. #6
    I have nothing to start over with.
    Thousands of dollars invested... so no where to start from.

    We were just going to move to a dedicated server before this happened.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,868
    I suggest to already get a new reseller account, even if they come back, if they do it, just move all your sites to your new host and cancel with them.

    Edit: You may want to buy at silver membership at http://domain-history.domaintools.co...m&page=results to see if in the old whois information you can get any contact number where you can call before they used the "ProtectFly.com, Whois Protection Service "
    Last edited by Jedito; 01-06-2007 at 05:33 PM.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan
    If you've tried all forms of contact with no luck, then it's time to move on. Their website isn't loading either and putting down a fake number is definitely not the way of doing business. Or that kid might be the guy you're looking for? Who knows...

    I don't think you should waste time waiting. You're losing money like you said so try to find a reputable host asap and get your websites up before you lose any more money. Good luck with everything!
    I don't have any website to put back up.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    I suggest to already get a new reseller account, even if they come back, if they do it, just move all your sites to your new host and cancel with them.
    I already have a server ready and waiting just in case.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,354
    One of the mistakes people make all the time is not backing up their own data. I highly recommend doing your own backups as well regardless if your host back it up for you or not. Do this daily even if you've got your own server.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    224
    That's definitely not good.

    If the dedicated server is ready, why not get it running and start over there? You can explain the situation to your clients, and hopefully they will have backups to use.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    East Coast // NYC
    Posts
    1,693
    You may be able to pull your old site files from waybackmachine along with your cache directory. If you can provide us with your domain name I'm sure we can all come together and help you out!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    You may be able to pull your old site files from waybackmachine along with your cache directory. If you can provide us with your domain name I'm sure we can all come together and help you out!
    Not sure what the waybackmachine is, but I will give anything a try.
    I am mainly concerned about my two main money makers.
    Which are bizzyblogz.com and bizzyblogz.biz.
    bizzyblogz.biz is my main concern.

    Thank you everyone for the replies and helpful suggestions.
    I sure did learn a big lesson. I was just to relaxed and took it for granted that nothing would happen.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    East Coast // NYC
    Posts
    1,693
    http://web.archive.org/web/200605101...izzyblogz.com/

    Thats the latest archive they have of the site. Although this won't have EVERYTHING...its a start.

    Be patient.....its sloooow

    EDIT:
    Here's the entire page of every archive they have: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://bizzyblogz.com


    Let me know if there's any other way I can help!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan
    Or that kid might be the guy you're looking for? Who knows...
    Maybe we need to merge this thread with the "whats so wrong with the so called kiddie hosts" thread.

    You said its a kids phone? did he answer, did you talk to him? Leave a message?
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

  16. #16
    Thank you.
    It's a full php scripted site with a lot of inner pages. So I might have to start all over. Just wish I had the members database.
    Yup...real slow loading. LOL

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Hades
    Maybe we need to merge this thread with the "whats so wrong with the so called kiddie hosts" thread.

    You said its a kids phone? did he answer, did you talk to him? Leave a message?
    I talked to the mother who told me it was her sons cell phone and she never heard of the guy I asked for.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    224
    So a false name (by kid) or a false phone number (by whoever actually ran the company)?

    You could try a white pages lookup, that might give you something (if it's not a common name or you know the city/state).

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by wickshosting
    So a false name (by kid) or a false phone number (by whoever actually ran the company)?

    You could try a white pages lookup, that might give you something (if it's not a common name or you know the city/state).
    He said his name was Andy Anderson. Then It was Andy Smith. From Florida.
    And this is the number on Paypal. 813-454-4297

    That's all I have on the guy.

    I even mentioned to the woman...(just in case) that I would even pay to get his server back up for him so I wouldn't lose business.
    Thought maybe it was his wife...and she was covering for him. Still do.
    Think she said her kid was 10 yrs old. Kinda young for a cell.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    224
    Try calling at a different time of day (when wife might be at work). You might even get voicemail with a name.

    You could try all of these:

    http://www.whitepages.com/10001/sear...&listing=mixed

    Good luck, hopefully you will get a hold of him. Sounds like he doesn't want to be gotten a hold of though.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    224
    PayPal might be able to provide you with more information (such as CC on the account, not the public one).

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by wickshosting
    PayPal might be able to provide you with more information (such as CC on the account, not the public one).
    They'll never provide any information that the account holder doesn't list publicly. Regardless, I doubt the person is old enough to have a credit card.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    224
    I doubt a 10 year old would be able to run a web hosting business. Was there a contact number on the marvelhost.com site? I'm trying to use archive.org to bring up marvelhost.com but I'm having problems accessing archive.org.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by wickshosting
    I doubt a 10 year old would be able to run a web hosting business. Was there a contact number on the marvelhost.com site? I'm trying to use archive.org to bring up marvelhost.com but I'm having problems accessing archive.org.
    Who said it was a 10 year old?

    Quote Originally Posted by radicalman
    I called the number on the Paypal reciept only to find out it's a kids cell phone.
    Kids (under 18) don't have credit cards.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by radicalman
    Think she said her kid was 10 yrs old. Kinda young for a cell.
    That's where I got 10 yrs old from (if it really was the guys number).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •