Thread: Training Staff

Training Staff

Well, we have a staff member who needs retraining. How does one begin to train someone who is not knowledgeable in a particular area?

I'm not sure were to start quite frankly. Is laying out a schedule for training a good idea? This member will become part of the technical support team (in the forums) and will have the task of making the forums more of a one stop shop for clients.

I would like to know how others do this or go about it.

Thanks
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

Its my opinion that a staff member should know the job you give him. Training should only involve showing him how your company handles that job (policies, softwares, etc.). I would never train somene who is not knowledgable in the job given.

Otherwise, have that person job shadow another staff member who already knows the job. After a few days, they should be able to handle it on their own. If not, you're wasting time/money/effort on the training.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Hi Tina,

That's my opinion too although this person has been taken on as a apprentice (sorta) and will shadow another knowledgeable staff member.

He knows a fair bit about webhosting we want to train him to become our technical support team member in the forums and his other role is to keep the clients updated on the community.

As you can see this is not intensive work. This is basic level one stuff most of which he knows

Matt
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

It's not my quote but who ever said it, said it right...

"If you want to learn to swim, jump into the water. On land no frame of mind will ever going to help you swim... "