Question Apache question - server going down daily

I hope that this is the right place to ask this question. The host that I am using is on Apache, and at least once a day the server will go down anywhere from a few minutes to an hour. Most of the time it's under 10 minutes. During this time all sites that they host, including the website of the host itself are down. They have been asked several times about this and the best response that we get is "Every time Apache is reconfigured it goes down for 2-3 minutes and after that your browser may take some time to see domain again because of caching".

Can anyone either confirm or deny that this could be the problem here? I'm getting really tired of my site going down every day, and need to know if I should start looking around yet again for a new host.

I doubt they are recompiling apache daily. To me it sounds like that box is overloaded. They were telling you the truth about the cache though.

Thanks

I just went bact to their messager board and found an earlier thread on the problem where they said "Every time when we adding or reconfiguring virtual domain almoust all of services are restarted to read their new configurations. This takes some amount of time, especially for the HTTP service. So, at this moments the server may seem down and unreachable for you.
    ". BTW, the company is HostColor (http://www.hostcolor.com/index.php)

When adding accounts some services restart like BIND for example. But if they are getting complaints they should stop all account creations during the day. They should do them in a batch at one time 9pm-12am

bind doesnt take more than a few seconds to be restarted

Originally posted by WebHozt
    bind doesnt take more than a few seconds to be restarted
    Yes I know that. I was jsut letting him know that stuff does restart

Maybe he have problems with the compilation.
    I had it with the cpanel apache-upgrade package, called buildapache.sea, I had to do it at least 4 times until I figured out what was the error.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Originally posted by NixHosting
    When adding accounts some services restart like BIND for example. But if they are getting complaints they should stop all account creations during the day. They should do them in a batch at one time 9pm-12am
    OK, but now they are saying" The apache needs to be restarted every time when something changes in it configuration. For example if we turning on web stats for one domain or turning off FrontPage Extensions for other domain - apache needs to be restarted to read it's new configuration.
    So, this cannot be avoided while someone needs domain reconfiguration, or account is canceled & etc.
    "

Does this sound right?

He's right, apache needs to be restarted, but the restart shouldt take more than a few seconds
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

apachectl restart

Pretty simple; doesn't take a long time.

Unless they are running Apache on CP/M on an 8 bit platform...
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”