hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : Monitoring Servers project

Forum Jump

Monitoring Servers project

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 02:36 AM

Monitoring Servers project

We are interested in launching a site dedicated to monitoring webservers and would like to know if there is a ready made solution for that. I know there are many tools like nagios, BB, cacti but what Im looking for is a program that is ready to be setup and will enable us to offer the same services offered by siteuptime.com, websitepulse.com, alertra...

Thank you for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2007, 02:40 AM

From a development standpoint a tool like this wouldn't be too hard to build. If this was going to be a windows based tool I would setup a quick windows service using Winsock, you can even make it work through a VBS file and run it via the command line from ASP/ASP.NET web apps to check certain ports for responses and return the data into a database. From there it would be built into a page. This is just a quick and dirty idea, you would obviously need a manager to time each check, etc, etc...

My personal suggestion would be to custom build this, and add features no other uptime stat sites have provided.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Most of those sites use custom made scripts.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2007, 02:49 AM
Junior Guru

A fairly experience PHP programmer could do this quite easily by making use of MySQL (for what sites to check, records, etc) and cron jobs (or task scheduler if on Windows).

If you are looking for a PHP programmer to do this fairly cheap you can check out RentACoder.com. You'll just want to make sure that the server your site is on has a very reliable connection or it may start reporting outages of all sites when your host has troubles.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:34 AM
Quant Trader

Smile

I do not understand why people use cron to check for uptime status.

Why not use socket and create a server and client daemons and run them background, and then hold the connection between the server and the client to monitor the uptime? This will in fact provide true uptime monitoring and track the uptime more accurate in my opinion.

If we use cron to do that, let say monitoring it for every 1 minute, then if the server is rebooted within 30 seconds, no downtime is logged during the reboot process ~

Old 01-06-2007, 04:00 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

alstrasoft has an uptime monitor thats pretty much ready to go. That may work for you.

Chicago's #1 Datacenter Technician

Old 01-06-2007, 04:13 AM
Retired Moderator

A serious uptime monitor should use more than one server, in different locations on the globe.

I agree with the custom build idea, and would make sure to design the software with the future in mind. The better you make it, the easier to sell the business if you decide to.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:59 PM

The app would definately need to be run as a background service for true reliability -- I would STILL recommend .NET for this, its fast, its reliable, it just works...PHP on the other hand isn't fast.

And yes, you need to have it run on multiple servers around the globe for true reliability.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPI
alstrasoft has an uptime monitor thats pretty much ready to go. That may work for you.

I 've tested it for some time and it's actually quite good.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPI
This software is unsupported and it seems that it is not good since there is no community behind it and it is not know on the market. I've read 2 reviews of people who used it (not working features and no support received).

review link: http://www.hotscripts.com/review/56945.html

Old 01-06-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRadic
The app would definately need to be run as a background service for true reliability -- I would STILL recommend .NET for this, its fast, its reliable, it just works...PHP on the other hand isn't fast.

And yes, you need to have it run on multiple servers around the globe for true reliability.
Yes of course, that is a must but on the first stage, we want to implement this project and do extensive testings using one server before deploying it and use multiple servers (different networks) for monitoring.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Retired Moderator

Moved to Technical Forum

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
CA Technologies Launches Free Monitoring Tool Web Hosting News 2013-10-10 14:27:42
The Host Group Launches Online Monitoring Services Web Hosting News 2013-07-29 14:25:59
Site24x7 Offers Website Monitoring Service via New WHMCS Plug-in Web Hosting News 2013-04-19 12:16:46
Hosting Provider Rackspace Launches Server Monitoring Tools for Cloud Hosting Web Hosting News 2012-08-27 12:48:29
Web Host MTL Servers Launches Shared Cloud Hosting, Cloud Servers Web Hosting News 2012-07-12 14:39:19