Problem With Forget Ssh Port

Hello :

Well I have a friend that tells me if I can work and optimize his server , but he dont know ssh port , default is 22 but that port doesnt work .... his server is in other country and the only way to administrate it is from ssh , I have root access to the server but I dont know how can I get the correct port ...

Maby some of you can help me , or recomend any tool that can help me ....

Well thanks guys

you could scan it using nmap.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Hi , thanks for your anwser

I try to use nmap , the problem is that my friend have configured his server to dont respond at PINGS , for that reazon I have a lot of problem to try scan with nmap ..... maby you can help with a special comands in nmap to search....

I try with some tools but only detect default ports =(

Use the -P0 flag
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Code:
    nmap -P0 -p1-65535 IPADDRESS

[[email protected]] ~ $ cat .signature
    cat: .signature: No such file or directory

Hello,

Use telnet command to login to the server. Telnet run on the default port 23. The command is

telnet SERVERIP 23

use the root login to get in and should work for you.

Make the changes in the /etc/ssh folder. There are two conf files. One is ssh.conf and the other sshd.conf. Make changes in both the files for the Port and the use ssh for loging to the server.

Thank you.

Regards,

Who in their right mind runs telnet? And of those few, who allows root logins via telnet. Just scan for the open port like stated before.

[[email protected]] ~ $ cat .signature
    cat: .signature: No such file or directory

Hello,

Use telnet command to login to the server. Telnet run on the default port 23. The command is

telnet SERVERIP 23

use the root login to get in and should work for you.

Make the changes in the /etc/ssh folder. There are two conf files. One is ssh.conf and the other sshd.conf. Make changes in both the files for the Port and the use ssh for loging to the server.

Thank you.

Regards,
    This idea might have worked back in 1998, but most servers have the telnet daemon disabled, specifically because it is the most insecure method of effective remote administration.

I would be very scared to see telnet running on any modern day server as its a huge security hole. However if you do find the port with nmap you can check if its ssh by doing

telnet ip <port>

and you should get something back like

SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2

So you can then try sshing to that port.

The other choice would be to get the datacenter to login on the console and check which port is set in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Hello,

Well there are server in which telnet daemons are blocked. In that case the only option here is to contact the datacenter and make the necessary changes to get the shell access.

Thank you.

Regards,

SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2

So you can then try sshing to that port.
    version 1 of the ssh protocol also has some security threat reports

You are recommended to use v2, this can be done by removing the 1, in the "Protocol" line in your sshd_config.