Best host for 5K+ visitors?

Hi everyone,

Can you point me to a reliable/medium-priced webhost than has servers that allow over 5000 connections to a database (MySQL)?

Earlier today I bought a 1-month 'economic' hosting plan from GoDaddy but found out later that the MySQL database can only have active 50 connections maximum. What goods that?

Its either that their databases only support a small number of active visitors or that im totally confused

Thanks

Either you have an extremely popular site or your a bit confused on active connections.

Here is a quick example (based purely on speculation):
    WebHostingTalk (let's say they get 50,000 visits per day, each visit equals at least 1 MySQL connection).

Right now, WHT has 597 visitors online (including members and guests). Even though all these users are online, not all of them are using an *active* mysql connection... In fact, as your reading this, your not using an active MySQL connection either. So, while there may be a large number of visitors online, a MySQL connection is only used while a dynamic page is being created.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Crucial Web Host is offline [email protected]
    >Can you point me to a reliable/medium-priced webhost than has servers that allow over 5000 connections to a database (MySQL)?

WOW! Thats impressive - I've got a forum with 1800 online at the moment -

open connects - < 50

You're probably not right.

Kindly,
    CrucialHosting.com - Performance Hosting Solutions:
    SamsClub.com - Walmart.com - Ellusionist.com - CampSaver.com

Check out our Site Showcase for more big brand examples!

Agreed, it looks like you've got your terminology confused!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodFellas
    Hi everyone,

Can you point me to a reliable/medium-priced webhost than has servers that allow over 5000 connections to a database (MySQL)?

Earlier today I bought a 1-month 'economic' hosting plan from GoDaddy but found out later that the MySQL database can only have active 50 connections maximum. What goods that?

Its either that their databases only support a small number of active visitors or that im totally confused

Thanks
    hi, u need 5000 simultaneous mysql connection??
    no shared hosting can provide as i know. u should try for vps hosting minimum

y u will need 5000 simultaneous connection. as i m a web programmer, ASP, u remember to close the connection on page complete. thus free the resource for others to use. by this u wont even need 50 connection simultaneously.

unless u r working on some sort of life statistic view that connect to db all time, to view life charting. eg stock market statistic on website. then u will need dedicated server to manage those bandwidth.

I would go with a VPS as that is too many connections for most shared hosting. I have a VPS at hostdime. They seem to be good.

Another thing that would be really helpful is, what else do you require beyond the db connection. Such as bandwidth and space. As it stands if you are in need of the 5000+ connection you are going to need a dedicated server, I dont really think the a vps will be able to handle the resource load required to run that many connections.

You might want to aim for a nice low priced dedicated server with plenty of bandwidth and ram. You will probably need no more than 1Gig of ram, but you will need SATA or SCSI drives and a nice processor to handle the db load.

Let us know what you are thinking and we will help ya out

Cheers

Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial Web Host
    >Can you point me to a reliable/medium-priced webhost than has servers that allow over 5000 connections to a database (MySQL)?

WOW! Thats impressive - I've got a forum with 1800 online at the moment -

open connects - < 50

You're probably not right.

Kindly,
    Hello ,

Yeah in my forum 326 users are online and they are less than 40 Active connections ! anyway with 5k ACTIVE connections ! i dont really think a vps will work out anyway give it a try

Good luck,
    -Navid N
    Giving up does not always means you are weak, it Simply means you are strong to let go!

5000 concurrent connections is most likely going to fry even a dedicated server if they're all querying at the same time. I guess it depends on the queries. We have a couple of customers who have clustered solutions with us - and continually try to improve their coding as the site grows to cut down on the database load... You might want to try that as it sounds as if your budget is low considering you chose that initially.
    Matthew - Burton Hosting
    low cost shared, reseller, VPS & dedicated solutions for over five years - we've got what you need.
    http://www.burtonhosting.com
    http://www.getmesupport.com - server monitoring service for all!

even with dedicated server, I assume it's a big boy and connects to a clustering system for processing 5K+ mysql connections at the same time. 5K visitors is much more different than 5K mysql connections