Dedicated Server Suggestion

Hi Guys

Well im doing research for a mate who wants to run SHOUTcast and hosting off the same server and was wondering what you think

He has the budget of $150 and needs management

He either wants 2 servers both managed or 1 high end 1 to manage both hosting and SHOUTcast in one go

What are your opinions of specs, hardware, past experience etc

The server specs don't really matter much for ShoutCAST if you're going to be using some sort of dedicated server.. you're going to max out your port bandwidth way before you run into too many users using up all the CPU/RAM.

I've run shoutcast off theplanet servers with no complaints, they weren't managed though. If the bandwidth of the hosting and the assumed bandwidth of the streams would exceed your limits of monthly bandwidth, he should get two servers. Otherwise, one server should do just fine.
    Matt Bloom
    AngryHosting - Load balanced/redundant shared hosting solutions

Ive been advised by a host that either the hosting or SC will crash one or the other

Also i know it is best for a 100mbit port

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxtechie
    Ive been advised by a host that either the hosting or SC will crash one or the other

Also i know it is best for a 100mbit port
    That is just not true. I've ran SC on the same server as apache and everything else for years without any issues. You can't run SC on port 80 on the same IP as apache, but i've always seen SC run on 8000 and up anyways.
    Matt Bloom
    AngryHosting - Load balanced/redundant shared hosting solutions