Moderately High Traffic Wordpress Hosting Solution Needed

Hey everyone,

I currently run a TV shows review Wordpress blog that hosts a lot of images - about 1GB total and growing daily (dunno if it makes a difference, but each post has about 300KB worth). The site gets around 20-25,000 uniques a day, goes through about 300GB bandwidth a month, gets about 30-100 comments per post, and is apparently eating up all the CPU time on my current Dreamhost shared account. I've been using the wp-cache plugin, and have played with turning off and on my plugins, but this hasn't helped much I'm not very experienced at technical stuff pertaining to web hosting, so I was wondering what my best options are for a monthly budget that can't exceed $100.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, you really have a couple of choices:

Choice #1: Get a VPS
    Choice #2: Get a Dedicated Server
    Choice #3: See if any hosts can meet your needs, just e-mail them and ask...

But with all 3 choices you're most likely going to end up paying more than you currently are. Expect to pay at least $30+, maybe even up to $80 if you want a real solution. We're talking per month, not yearly.
    Last edited by MrRadic; 01-05-2007 at 05:14 PM.

Crucial Web Host is offline [email protected]
    There are hosts that offer semi dedicated services, where you can be put on a capable machine with perhaps one or two other hosts. This allows for a small sharing of resources but still provides for all security/updates/installs/backups so you dont have to concern yourself with that.

Managed solutions are available with many hosts, however most are just managed dedicated servers. What you likely need is just an optimized environment for WP and image serving - Try to access live chat on just about any of the larger hosts - im sure they can accomodate something similar for you.

Kindly,
    CrucialHosting.com - Performance Hosting Solutions:
    SamsClub.com - Walmart.com - Ellusionist.com - CampSaver.com

Check out our Site Showcase for more big brand examples!

What's your growth look like for the future? Do you think you're going to be staying at around this traffic or do you see it to continue to gain popularity?
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by schmeg007
    What's your growth look like for the future? Do you think you're going to be staying at around this traffic or do you see it to continue to gain popularity?
    The site went through a rapid phase of growth about a year ago, but since then it's been fairly steady in terms of traffic - about 10% growth per 3 months. It varies from day to day and from TV season to TV season based on what the networks are airing. These days, Thursdays tend to be the highest traffic (the 25,000 end) while Mondays are usually lowest (under 20,000).

Just out of curiosity, are you looking for a managed solution?

Pardon my noobness, but what does a managed solution mean?

Managed meaning your provider would be managing the technical aspects.

I'd highly suggest looking into a semi-dedicated type plan (where you are allowed to use more server resources). Since such would be more often than not a larger reseller type plan you'd probably not need to worry about issues arising much.

Also one thing with how VPS's work you may end up getting issues with overcrowding, if you go either route be sure you ask the provider in question specifics regarding number of accounts per server.

Best of luck in your hosting search
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Do you have a site link?
    "So what? It's a first offense! Talk about Draconian."
    "I can't. I don't know what it means."

Quote Originally Posted by Apoth
    Hey everyone,

I currently run a TV shows review Wordpress blog that hosts a lot of images - about 1GB total and growing daily (dunno if it makes a difference, but each post has about 300KB worth). The site gets around 20-25,000 uniques a day, goes through about 300GB bandwidth a month, gets about 30-100 comments per post, and is apparently eating up all the CPU time on my current Dreamhost shared account. I've been using the wp-cache plugin, and have played with turning off and on my plugins, but this hasn't helped much I'm not very experienced at technical stuff pertaining to web hosting, so I was wondering what my best options are for a monthly budget that can't exceed $100.

get a semi-dedicated package - this gives you the horsepower and lets someone else manage the server.

You can get your current needs met for under 75 USD / mth and the semi-ded solution will grow with you into the future. Goo luck and congrats on your success!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    get a semi-dedicated package - this gives you the horsepower and lets someone else manage the server.

You can get your current needs met for under 75 USD / mth and the semi-ded solution will grow with you into the future. Goo luck and congrats on your success!

Regards,
    The same could be said about a VPS....
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    The same could be said about a VPS....
    Unless he gets a managed VPS, then the same cannot be said.

Shared solutions are for people that want to pay someone else to have the responsability of keeping the server humming along and need burstable resources up to everything the server has.

I am all about the Right tool for the right job. If he does not need root or superadmin access, a VPS is the wrong tool.

Regards,

Considering your needs, mediatemple GS can be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    Unless he gets a managed VPS, then the same cannot be said.

Shared solutions are for people that want to pay someone else to have the responsability of keeping the server humming along and need burstable resources up to everything the server has.
    Thank you for making my point for me . If he gets a fully managed VPS at a reputable provider, then it could effectively be just like a shared environment, just with more resources (since the provider and only the provider retains root access).
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

A semi-dedicated may be the best solution here - especially to get some quality disk setup in the server to manage the database and visitor load - and also be in-line with your budget. The $100 budget you've set is a good one - going much lower you're going to compromise quality and with the number of visitors and growth you don't want to be doing that.
    Matthew - Burton Hosting
    low cost shared, reseller, VPS & dedicated solutions for over five years - we've got what you need.
    http://www.burtonhosting.com
    http://www.getmesupport.com - server monitoring service for all!

Quote Originally Posted by BurtonHost
    A semi-dedicated may be the best solution here - especially to get some quality disk setup in the server to manage the database and visitor load - and also be in-line with your budget. The $100 budget you've set is a good one - going much lower you're going to compromise quality and with the number of visitors and growth you don't want to be doing that.
    I'm just wondering - but wouldn't a VPS have the same qualifications that you just listed here? (i.e. quality disk setup - RAID, etc.). However, I do have to agree on the budget - it's very sensible for what the OP trying to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by mripguru
    I'm just wondering - but wouldn't a VPS have the same qualifications that you just listed here? (i.e. quality disk setup - RAID, etc.). However, I do have to agree on the budget - it's very sensible for what the OP trying to accomplish.
    You brought up a good point: I/O.

VPS's are crippled by the bus on 99% of the hardware platforms out there.(sans strata and HP non-stop)

Hey everyone,

With 20,000 uniques per day, you might be able to improve your advertising revenues on the site, and ultimately up your budget a bit. That's some pretty hefty traffic there, and you should be able to get some free recommendations for improving ad revenues right here on WHT.

Even if you end up going with a "Semi-Dedicated" plan (as others have suggested), you should make sure to contact the potential provider before signing up and double-checking that they will be able/willing to handle your requirements in a shared environment.

Good luck .
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm actually not very good at searching for the best plans. Can someone give me some suggestions based on what's been said so far?

Hey everyone,

WP-Cache should be able to handle your traffic... I've had clients that handled more traffic than that with it on a Dreamhost account, so I'm baffled. Are you sure wp-cache is setup properly?

I agree with Buronhost 100.00 is a great budget you dont want to jump on just any host due to the content you will be hosting.