Options for media server?

Hi all,

I'm starting a project relatively soon that will bring in thousands of people for particular video files (it's a series). I've tried to go over possible options of how to deal with the load and cost, but I'm not coming up with many solutions.

As far as hosting goes, Amazon S3 is about the slickest option there is, but it's pretty expensive @ .20cents per GB of bandwidth. No VPS/Dedicated servers I know of will allow cost effective bandwidth scaling (the two I did find were crap hosts)... Bittorrent is also an option to take the first wave of people, but seeding is the biggest pain in the world and 99% of people cut the file off after it's done downloading (so it'd have to be mixed with something else).

Cost is the second thing. I'm a coder primarily and havn't worked with sponsors or CPM deals at all, yet. The people are there, gauranteed, but the target audience is very niche and I'm guessing it would be more difficult to go about getting ad/sponsor deals for this. (I realize this is a hosting forum, but I'm sure plenty here are experts in this area so I'll just throw it out there).

Ty for the help & guidance.

Well I'd recommend you project exactly how much bandwidth and disk space you need, then start discussing options one on one with a host. You'll really have to do something custom.

I would get a dedicated server or VPS with a fixed 10mbit connection unmetered and seed via bittorrent if you have a /ton/ of traffic. Otherwise, the same server with a tuned apache could serve out the files effectively. What you're going to have to watch out for are people with leech apps that will attempt to open EVERY file at once. You can add a 3rd party mod to apache to limit the number of connections per ip, but i'd still recommend bittorrent.
    Matt Bloom
    AngryHosting - Load balanced/redundant shared hosting solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Skew
    Hi all,

I'm starting a project relatively soon that will bring in thousands of people for particular video files (it's a series). I've tried to go over possible options of how to deal with the load and cost, but I'm not coming up with many solutions.

As far as hosting goes, Amazon S3 is about the slickest option there is, but it's pretty expensive @ .20cents per GB of bandwidth. No VPS/Dedicated servers I know of will allow cost effective bandwidth scaling (the two I did find were crap hosts)... Bittorrent is also an option to take the first wave of people, but seeding is the biggest pain in the world and 99% of people cut the file off after it's done downloading (so it'd have to be mixed with something else).

Cost is the second thing. I'm a coder primarily and havn't worked with sponsors or CPM deals at all, yet. The people are there, gauranteed, but the target audience is very niche and I'm guessing it would be more difficult to go about getting ad/sponsor deals for this. (I realize this is a hosting forum, but I'm sure plenty here are experts in this area so I'll just throw it out there).

so u will need high bandwidth right?
    hostrocket unlimited bandwidth
    lypha.com 3000gb/mth
    bluehost 2000gb
    midphase 1500gb

all above is good features as well.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesgan
    so u will need high bandwidth right?
    hostrocket unlimited bandwidth
    lypha.com 3000gb/mth
    bluehost 2000gb
    midphase 1500gb

all above is good features as well.

Have you used any of these hosts before?

Hi Skew,

I guess it depends what your budget, requirements, uptime needs etc all amount to. The amazon offer looks very good and suited due to it's scalability..
    Matthew - Burton Hosting
    low cost shared, reseller, VPS & dedicated solutions for over five years - we've got what you need.
    http://www.burtonhosting.com
    http://www.getmesupport.com - server monitoring service for all!

Basically, first what is your budget? If you are going to be brining in all those people from the start, I definitely recommend going with a dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteerie
    Basically, first what is your budget? If you are going to be brining in all those people from the start, I definitely recommend going with a dedicated server.
    Any old box can serve static files, resource usage [in terms of CPU and RAM] really isn't much of a problem here. If you're concerned about that, just use a lightweight server like lighttpd, thttpd, etc.

Find a provider that has a lot of resources [bandwidth] and is able to offer you a cost effective solution. You'll likely have to look at a little outside of WHT, and I don't think a traditional hosting solution would fit you.

Hi all,

0.20 USD / GB for bandwidth is dirt cheap. DIRT cheap. Makes me wonder what the quality of the bandwidth is.

Well, I wasn't aware 20 cents/GB was dirt cheap... news to me. We're expecting to bring in at least 2k downloads the first day (starting with one video @ around 200mb) -- we have some big friends who are going to help us start. I was considering setting up a flash player to stream it so viewers wouldn't download and cut it half way by mistake or download it to only watch the first 20 seconds, etc.

Budget is a tricky thing. The idea situation would be to find sponsors or pay for it through ad revenue, but that's not possible to see until we're knee deep into it and see how it goes. I think $200/month for video bandwidth would be about the cap I'm willing to pay to start (as I'll already be paying a lot for other related things about this including the VPS, which I don't want bogged down by these videos).

Amazon S3 does support Bittorrent, so as of now that's where I stand. Set it up and get others to seed to assist with the first load (and hope generous people help seeding continually). A lot of people don't know how to use bittorrent, though... that's also a concern, but it might have to be the only option to start.

And ty for all the replies.

Are these files legal?
    "So what? It's a first offense! Talk about Draconian."
    "I can't. I don't know what it means."

Yes, they are 100% legal (created by our company).

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    0.20 USD / GB for bandwidth is dirt cheap. DIRT cheap. Makes me wonder what the quality of the bandwidth is.
    It's not *that* cheap.

Say you've got 100mbps of bandwidth. You can safely expect about 15-20TB utilization out of that [even though it's 33TB in theory, that is only when peaked 24x7].

So you've got ~20,000 gigs and ~200 gigs per mbit.

That's 40 per mbit. Cheap? Hardly, especially when a provider like Amazon probably has very high commitments with their carriers.

To the OP, you need to find a provider that handles large volumes of traffic, as they will be more suitable and able to get you better rates.

edit: just want to note that this can be as cheap as I described if [and only if] it's static traffic such as in the OP's case. If this is dynamic traffic, $0.20/gig is very cheap, and $1/gig is reasonable -- but such is not the scenario at hand.

Yes, they are 100% legal (created by our company).
    Do you have a site link?
    "So what? It's a first offense! Talk about Draconian."
    "I can't. I don't know what it means."