Choosing a brand

Just wondering how the seasoned and not so seasoned owners came up with their company names, brands and domains.

I`ve seen some really bizarre names, but some are very successful and do well in things like google. Yet, there are thousands with the famous `host` or `hosting` somewhere in the brand or domain, and seems a little too common.

Did you research the name or was it a simple pot shot, something that took a few minutes?

What's in a name? A business name really only needs a little creativity, enough so that the name is easy for potential customers to remember. The trick to being found by the search engines depends on the keywords and content used throughout the companies web site; at least, that's part of it. How successfully a company spreads the message about their company will correlate with their success.
    InfTek Hosting
    Shared and Dedicated Kerio MailServer Solutions
    http://www.inftekhosting.com

We threw darts at a dictionary.

Then we had margaritas.

It was a no-brainer.
    datapimp - You only get one soul, ya dig?

I like the last comment - we threw darts at a dictionary!!!

I believe a brand name is very important these days. take for example Kraft Foods - no doubt if your an American you have heard of them!

They branded everything with "Kraft cheese spread", "Kraft Milk shake mix" etc you get the idea, their brand was good but they had used the same brand over a large variety of products and had customers did not automatically recognise the KRAFT brand with one single product.

This changed when they launched the Philadelphia Cream cheese spread (smoked salmon is the best!), this became a very popular brand and made them lots of money. Why? because people could remember a single brand and when they said Philadelphia it automatically meant "Cream Cheese Spread". So if you can get a good brand name, which automatically customers think "Hosting!" your set.

Obviously there are the exceptions, just because you have a good brand doesn't mean you have a good product!

Cheers
    All Talk Communications Limited
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wholesale telecommunications - NZ

We did not originally intend to become a hosting company, but the name has really stuck with us. I've thought of changing it many times, but I've never (permanently!) gone through with a change. Maybe I'm just too scared of starting over again with a new brand. Regardless, it's working Ok for us.

I still wish I had never sold our iZoka division. Ah, that was a good name!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

I have an excellent company name that I wish I could use myself and what makes it so great is the tag line that could only ever work with that one company name. The name suggests the company is the greatest in the world, highly professional but not too cocky about it! I wish I could think of a way to sell that name as I believe the buyer of it could do a lot with it if marketed correctly.
    WKD Banners | Make the most of your advertising!
    Designing banners since 2004 | Visit our Website www.wkdbanners.com

Buy the domain and then sell the name.

Just came to us I guess...sounded neat.
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

I thought about that, but with so many kids out there, I didn't want one of them stealing the tagline and devaluing the original idea. lol
    WKD Banners | Make the most of your advertising!
    Designing banners since 2004 | Visit our Website www.wkdbanners.com

Well you could always trademark it. That would at least allow you some protection.
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

We thought about names for over a month, anything we thought of we wrote down and then we shorted the list and shorted it again until we came up with this name.

I do kind of wish we didn't go the 'hosting' route in the name because we are looking at expanding into other things and the 'hosting' just doesn't fit with the full line. We might just run two brand names in the end.

crazyfish, just register Simplify<word>.com for all the markets you ever expect to be in. If SimplifyHosting is working for you its worth keeping. If you could brand all the Simplify<something> sites all the same it would be obvious its the same company.

With .coms now as cheap as $6.50 wholesale its not imposable.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeentech
    crazyfish, just register Simplify<word>.com for all the markets you ever expect to be in. If SimplifyHosting is working for you its worth keeping. If you could brand all the Simplify<something> sites all the same it would be obvious its the same company.

With .coms now as cheap as $6.50 wholesale its not imposable.
    Already done. We have the .com .net .org for most of the things I think we will get into. I just wish we went a simpler route thats all, something abit more generic.

It took me a good few days. I wanted to make sure the domain was available first, so i tried all the ideas i had and they were all taken (no surprise there).

I new i wanted something that started with a letter close to the beginning of the alphabet. So when listed alphabetically it comes on top. Also I wanted the word ‘hosting’ in the domain for SEO purposes.

So i took a break, went to the kitchen for something to eat on the way out my eye caught a bunch of bananas on the table and i rushed over to namecheap and the rest is history… ;-)

I have also registered it as a community trademark covering the EU (you never know!)
    /Banana Hosting - Be different!
    "The fun place to host your site"
    http://www.bananahosting.com

How do you want to be found in Google? Try to come up with a decent domain name combining these words. You will get a higher ranking in Google when words a user searches for, are in your domain name. If you choose a difficult name, you will have to spend a lot of time building brand recognition.