Should I be concerned at this ??

I have just phoned a potential host's TECHNICAL department and asked :

Me ::"Hi, I hope you can help? Can you tell me how much space allocation is given to the 2 MySQL databases's you offer in your Business Package please?"

Host :: "Ummm, I have no idea actually. Can I take your number and call you back?"

...30mins, and I am still awaiting this illuminating call.

Is this the norm?
    Is is that hard to get someone to pin down their allocations for MySQL db's?
    Is it something that can change depending on how other parts of your site use space?

ta'

It's a good sign.
    If they don't know the limit, it means they are not going to enforce it.

Well, maybe you got newly hired employee.
    Or maybe they don't know what they are doing.
    Maybe they don't have any hard limit.
    It can be anything....

hmm.. it doesn't fill me with the grandest of hope I must admit.

I will await their return call to see how things fair

Maybe you had the wrong number

nope, defo the right number.. he was quick to ask what my budget was but not so quick in giving me the info i need.

1hr 23mins and counting ...

Do you tried contacting to their sales department through email?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

no, i have just spoken to them again.

Apparently a sales guy took my call and has passed an email to there server supp guys. I should have an answer back within the hr.

Quote Originally Posted by tgl_velocity
    I should have an answer back within the hr.
    Thats an hour to kill. Look out for wolves

Honestly, I believe that support reps should know anything and everything about what they offer. This way they can't make promises that don't hold true...

Go find someone else. Competition among web hosts is huge. If they can't answer a simple question without having to make you wait 30 minutes or longer for an answer, just think about the same situation occurring when their hosting your site and you encounter a big problem.
    InfTek Hosting
    Shared and Dedicated Kerio MailServer Solutions
    http://www.inftekhosting.com

Somehow I agree with InfTekHosting, it may be a problem if they don't know what they offer, maybe they have the phone support outsourced?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

its probably an outsourced call answering company who make a note of what you say and email it to the host who will call you back.
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

How much is this hosting that you can't get answers about?

most hosts dont monitor the mysql storage, I have one site hosted with 200 mega and the database is 600 mega, no one ever said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by vision123
    most hosts dont monitor the mysql storage, I have one site hosted with 200 mega and the database is 600 mega, no one ever said anything.
    The control panel is probably not checking 3rd party diskspace such as databases & email.
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Hosts
    Thats an hour to kill. Look out for wolves
    And yet even though the hosts who responded presumably read what you posted, they jumped right in, trying to troll for a client. Of course, that presumes that they read anything at all: one obviously did not, because although it was clearly stated by the OP that the phone call was answered by a SALES rep, MrRadic, who apparently has a very short attention span, says that SUPPORT reps should know everything about what they offer. Which is true, but which has nothing at all to do with the question. InfTekHosting suggest that the OP go find someone else, even though the OP is clearly interested in this one host, and even though the host might actually be doing something like supporting EXISTING clients before having someone take the time to respond to a presales question - something that should actually be reassuring.

I'd like to thank certain hosts for providing a neverending cycle of amusement to me, and, no doubt, others. I know I can always count on the same hosts hanging around WHT for what seems to be 80% of every day (what, you don't have any business to occupy your time?), saying 100% the same silly things, over and over.

[quote=thetimehascome]I know I can always count on the same hosts hanging around WHT for what seems to be 80% of every day (what, you don't have any business to occupy your time?), saying 100% the same silly things, over and over.

Hmmmmm......this is your second post to this thread over 2 hours apart from each other.......Obviously you to have time to kill.
    InfTek Hosting
    Shared and Dedicated Kerio MailServer Solutions
    http://www.inftekhosting.com

To the O/P, did you finally get a callback? I am interested in knowing the outcome?

hmm might be outsourced etc - not the best but i'm not sure its something to lose sleep over.

they ended up calling me back about 3 hrs later. The guy who knew the answer to the question was apparently off site sorting out a current customer.

Had a nice chat with him and will probably use these guys for my hosting plan. They link their MySQL db size to the amount of disc space they offer which is good. As my actual site is going to be relatively small in size, but have (hopefully) a large forum and stat-tracking service, my MySQL db's space needs to be big as i can afford.

Bandwidth was very respectable too.

Don't really know the rules on posting names of hoster's so won't post it for now. There seems to be alot of unecessarily harsh undercurrent in this post for me simply asking a simple question

Quote Originally Posted by tgl_velocity
    they ended up calling me back about 3 hrs later. The guy who knew the answer to the question was apparently off site sorting out a current customer.

Had a nice chat with him and will probably use these guys for my hosting plan. They link their MySQL db size to the amount of disc space they offer which is good. As my actual site is going to be relatively small in size, but have (hopefully) a large forum and stat-tracking service, my MySQL db's space needs to be big as i can afford.

Bandwidth was very respectable too.

Don't really know the rules on posting names of hoster's so won't post it for now. There seems to be alot of unecessarily harsh undercurrent in this post for me simply asking a simple question
    Great to hear you got it sorted Good luck with your provider

Glad to hear you got it sorted out in the end. A 3 hour wait is quite short for pre-sale enquiries. Nice to hear they make house calls too.

Quote Originally Posted by vision123
    I realize the OP has things sorted out, but I wanted to respond to this.

Most hosts actually do track Database Space Storage. It is usually calculated in with the overall amount of space/bandwidth provided with the plan.

Don't judge a company because it doesn't know the answer straight off on the first telephone call - many reasons and most likely because they do not know the ins and outs of everything - heck, even I would struggle with some questions and have to look into it.

The fact they called you back and the same business day is a very good strong sign.

Good luck!
    Matthew - Burton Hosting
    low cost shared, reseller, VPS & dedicated solutions for over five years - we've got what you need.
    http://www.burtonhosting.com
    http://www.getmesupport.com - server monitoring service for all!