Question changing A Records? (Godaddy.com)

Hi,

Sorry if this question has been answered before. I tried using the search tool, but it seems there's hundreds of posts that wasn't able to help me. So here it goes,

I have a domain in Godaddy.com. I have 2 servers and here's the setup I want to have, 1 linux box dedicated for the emails of mydomain.com and 1 windows box for all other except the emails. Just wanna make sure that even the windows box is down, at least the emails are going to or vice versa so I seperated those boxes.

Now my problems is I'm really new to this kind of thing (web, domain, dns, etc) and I don't know how to do this kind of setup. I'm confused if I should do it in the CP of Godaddy.com or in any of the servers. I noticed in Godaddy.com there's a portion of Total DNS Control, but it's just for the domains hosted or parked in Godaddy.com. Hope you guys can help me out. Thanks.

Regards,
    Sherwin

Ok, this is what you need to know, I explained a similar situation a few posts ago, but ur case is slightly different.

I was in your exact situation a few years ago and this is what I did. So follow the steps below,

1) Point the nameservers (NS1 and NS2) to your REGISTRAR's DNS servers, in yourcase godaddy's default nameservers.

2) Change the domain's A record (IP address) by typing the IP address of the server, in your case window's server's ip address.

3) Change the domain's MX records (mx records look something like this, mx.yourdomain.com) to the Linux server's mail server, which allows you to utilize your linux server for mail. Make sure the priority number is the highest (you'll see what I mean when you actually perform the mx record changes).

I performed ALL the above operations from the REGISTRAR's control panel, your case use godaddy's TOTAL DNS.

This setup allows you to use one incase the other fails. For example, if the windows server fails you can still get mail on your linux server and if you linux server fails, people can still acess your website.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

thank you very much Anantha... that was very helpful.. i do not exactly understand what you mean by all this. But will do a research on how to do those things what you've said especially that mx.yourdomain.com. I haven't seen something like that on the linux vps I might just ask the support team of the hosting company. Thanks again.

Yup, no problem, these things take time to learn, so dont worry if it take a while before the setup actually works.

MX records are a little complicated, since your web server does not have the same IP address as your mail server. This is what I suggest.

*Follow the steps below and then perform step 3 from above*

----------------------------------------

1x) Create a subdomain in godaddy's control panel and name is mx.yourdomain.com

2x) Change the A record of mx.yourdomain.com to your Linux server's IP address, this step is the same as the step 2 from above, execpt the A record you are changing is the subdomain you have just created.
    ----------------------------------------

After you have done the two intermediate steps, then follow step 3.

so the order goes like this,

1) ...
    2) ...
    1x) ...
    2x) ...
    3) ...

[qoute]1x) Create a subdomain in godaddy's control panel and name is mx.yourdomain.com

2x) Change the A record of mx.yourdomain.com to your Linux server's IP address, this step is the same as the step 2 from above, execpt the A record you are changing is the subdomain you have just created.[/quote]so before i perform this, i should set the nameservers of my domain to godaddy first right?

Make sure the priority number is the highest
    about this one, i can see 0, 10, 20, etc. so which is the highest priority? the highest number or 0?

Another question since you're familiar with godaddy.com, I noticed that there are a lot of entries like smtp.mydomain.com, pop.mydomain.com, email.mydomain.com, etc. Do i need to change all those? it's under cname i guess. And the mx.mydomain.com, should I enter that in A Records or in cname? should I need to touch anything under the CName category? thanks again.

Yes, before you perform 1x and 2x, you should perform 1) and 2) but dont wait for the nameserver to resolve, just move onto steps 1x), 2x) and 3) after you are done with 1) and 2)

Make the priority the highest number (0 being the lowest), whatever it might be, 100 is it?

I dont believe you need to change any other values, just change the A record to Windows' server' IP address and MX record to MX.YOURDOMAIN.COM for YOURDOMAIN.COM and change the A record to Linux server's IP address for your MX.YOURDOMAIN.COM subdomain.

Oh and make sure if you have an entry like WWW.YOURDOMAIN.COM, change its A record to your windows' server's IP address also.

Thanks again Anantha... will try this out on the weekend (thursday and friday is the weekend here in the middle east) so I'll have to wait a few more days before doing this.

I've asked my VPS provider, but they answered just the same as what you've suggested (didn't really helped me a lot). I guess i'll just do this first on 1 of my inactive domain just to do a test. Thanks.

Sure.

There is not really any other way it can really be done.

I understand if you are having a hard time understanding. DNS would be like reading the hieroglyphics for the untrained eye. I've been in the same position a decade ago, DNS is very complicated if you dont know what you are doing, but hang in there, make mistakes, yes, I said makes mistakes, that is really how you can hone your skills.

Even load balancing might be a problem because its totally 2 different operating environments, not sure if it can be done or not.

But, if I may ask, why do you intend on using a linux os for mail and windows for web server, why not a linux-linux or windows-windows combination?

But load balancing is a whole another animal and hosts will usually charge you ridiculous prices for such services, for now try this method at your leisure.

But be sure to update this thread with results, I'm curious to see how it will workout. I've done something similar before but not exactly what you want . Thanks.
    Last edited by HNLV; 01-06-2007 at 02:11 AM.

yey... i was able to do what you've advised on a test domain. Now my other question would be, how can I set up mail.mydomain.com to point to my linux VPS? because when i tried to ping mail.mydomain.com, it seems to point in the godaddy server... thanks again.

Hi again Anantha,

But, if I may ask, why do you intend on using a linux os for mail and windows for web server, why not a linux-linux or windows-windows combination?
    The only thing why i did a windows-linux setup is all about the cost. $1 cost a lot for me. If I were to put windows-windows setup, then it would cost me more than a windows-linux setup. I really can't do a linux-linux setup coz basically, my windows server runs an ASP.NET/MS SQL Application. I decided to create this kind of setup, just to make sure that the business will still continue even if 1 of the servers are down. And making sure that the budget will still fit in.

I would love to have only 1 box for both the ASP.Net application and the mails because it would really save me money, but I really couldn't afford business interruptions if the server goes down. At least, there should be an alternative especially if the server goes down for days. The business would lose more money with just 1 day of the server being down and will weaken the integrity of the company.

Thanks again.

Next thing I would like to setup after this would be making the windows box as a backup mail server. Hope you could give me some tips regarding that too.

Hi Again, just an update.

Instead of doing it from the Domain Registrar (GoDaddy.com), I made changes in the DNS settings of plesk and voila it worked.

Thank you very much Anantha for all your help.

Your welcome, glad you could make it work.

One more thing that is bothering me.

Is this plesk on Linux or Windows?

Beacause, either way, this defeats your original purpose. Lets assume you have Plesk on Linux and you change the A records of YOURDOMAIN.COM in there to point to the Windows server.

Now if linux is down, your entire website webserver/mail will go down but if the webserver goes down, the mail server on linux will still be on.

Is that what you originally wanted? I thought if one service was down you wanted to be able to use the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha
    Is this plesk on Linux or Windows?
    it's Plesk for windows
    Beacause, either way, this defeats your original purpose. Lets assume you have Plesk on Linux and you change the A records of YOURDOMAIN.COM in there to point to the Windows server.

Now if linux is down, your entire website webserver/mail will go down but if the webserver goes down, the mail server on linux will still be on.
    You've got a point, thanks for telling me that... I really have to do it on the registrar. Aside from Godaddy.com, is there another registrar that you can configure the total dns control without having to point it to their nameservers? Coz basically I can't afford the site and the emails to be down even just for 1 day.

Actually I've already followed your instructions about configuring it, the www points correctly, the only prob is the mails. mail.mydomain.com seems to point to the registrar's server instead of the Linux VPS.

btw, regarding the MX.. I've read some article and it says 0 is the highest

Well u see, it is not really the your choice that you have to point to their nameservers. The goal is to have to point your domain's nameservers to a SINGLE DNS server, and the one place the DNS server have multiple servers and is at your registrars'.

Big companies also have multiple DNS server to avoid a single point of failure.

Since you cannot have multiple DNS servers, the next best thing is to go to someone who have multiple DNS servers, your registrar, and its a FREE service.

But those DNS servers are very redundant at registrars so u dont have to worry about downtime too much.

OK, if you are willing to do this I have a good solution for you. Unless you really really, and I mean really, want a dedicated linux server to be your mail server. This method will also save you money.

----------------------------------------------------------

1) What you do is, keep your mail server pointed to your registrar and the A records pointed to the windows server.

2) Make an email address at gmail, yahoo, or hotmail, any one of these 3, I STRONGLY prefer you use gmail. Make sure the email corresponds to your company, such as [email protected]

3) Now make alias email address in godaddy's control panel, such as [email protected] and forward it to the new email address you have just created at either gmail, yahoo or hotmail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you are done. This allows you to get ALL critical email even if your windows server is down and its FREE, you will save hundred's of dollars on that second server. And dont worry if the gmail or yahoo server go down or not, they virtually never do and even if they did they come back up really fast.

I think the chances of your linux server crashing and you losing all of your email data is much higher than gmail servers going down. And gmail have redundant backups, probably multiple RAIDs so you never lose an email, which is the safest way I think.

Doing this will also prevent losing of email, for example sometime in the future if you decide to change your linux server host, it a real pain in the head to move your mails, sometimes, so this situation prevents it all together.

The reason I ask you to use gmail is because gmail has some very important features that makes the kind of configuration easy.
    Last edited by HNLV; 01-07-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Since you cannot have multiple DNS servers, the next best thing is to go to someone who have multiple DNS servers, your registrar, and its a FREE service.
    I agree with you

OK, if you are willing to do this I have a good solution for you. Unless you really really, and I mean really, want a dedicated linux server to be your mail server. This method will also save you money.
    Nice idea but I really wouldn't want hassles on creating duplicate email address(on gmail). Or say email distributions.

I think the chances of your linux server crashing and you losing all of your email data is much higher than gmail servers going down. And gmail have redundant backups, probably multiple RAIDs so you never lose an email, which is the safest way I think.
    actually, all mails are being downloaded using MS Outlook, in this way, I would save space in the server as well and even bandwidth avoiding users to always login to horde and check their mails.

Doing this will also prevent losing of email, for example sometime in the future if you decide to change your linux server host, it a real pain in the head to move your mails, sometimes, so this situation prevents it all together.
    I'm not really thinking or even expecting any hassles if I were to change my current linux provider as it is already running cPanel/WHM and before this, I was already on a shared linux web hosting, transferring my accounts were so easy.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Just an update for you... I was able to do the setup by creating A records, @ and www have the ip address of the windows server, mx and mail have the ip add of the linux server. Created 2 mx which are mx (0) and mail(10) pointed to the linux server. Deleted the mx subdomains as it is just some kinda redundant in creating the A records. deleted all unnecessary records there... and that's it... I'm good to go.. thanks for you tips it really did helped me a lot.

Regards,
    Sherwin

Awesome, glad you could make it work.